Live Business Chat (LBC)
2019 Sep 21, 11:58:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is a friendly non-profit discussion group about making money. Click the "NOTIFY" button every chance you get to receive instant alerts about new information. We don't like spam. If your first posts are about something you want from us, it is probably spam, and you will be banned in forums worldwide. No soliciting! If you have problems with the forum, contact badon in the business chat.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The world's most popular VPN gets shutdown by Russia  (Read 2052 times)
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« on: 2016 Jul 12, 09:46:14 AM »

Private Internet Access (PIA) has been shutdown by the Russians:

To Our Beloved Users,

The Russian Government has passed a new law that mandates that every provider must log all Russian internet traffic for up to a year. We believe that due to the enforcement regime surrounding this new law, some of our Russian Servers (RU) were recently seized by Russian Authorities, without notice or any type of due process. We think it’s because we are the most outspoken and only verified no-log VPN provider.

Luckily, since we do not log any traffic or session data, period, no data has been compromised. Our users are, and will always be, private and secure.

Upon learning of the above, we immediately discontinued our Russian gateways and will no longer be doing business in the region.

To make it clear, the privacy and security of our users is our number one priority. For preventative reasons, we are rotating all of our certificates. Furthermore, we’re updating our client applications with improved security measures to mitigate circumstances like this in the future, on top of what is already in place. In addition, our manual configurations now support the strongest new encryption algorithms including AES-256, SHA-256, and RSA-4096.

All Private Internet Access users must update their desktop clients at https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/ and our Android App at Google Play. Manual openvpn configurations users must also download the new config files from the client download page.

We have decided not to do business within the Russian territory. We’re going to be further evaluating other countries and their policies.

In any event, we are aware that there may be times that notice and due process are forgone. However, we do not log and are default secure against seizure.

If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected]

Thank you for your continued support and helping us fight the good fight.

Sincerely,
Private Internet Access Team

The nice thing about PIA is their super-low prices. However, my biggest complaint is the fact that a lot of people abuse their services, so very often I will find their IP addresses are blacklisted on some of the sites I visit. Also, PIA is so very, very cheap - AND - so very, very popular, I am suspicious that they might be a CIA or NSA front. What better way to keep track of evil-doers than to offer the cheapest privacy services and let them abuse it as much as they want? We already know the NSA has backdoors in Intel and probably AMD consumer CPU's, so why not?

I have the same suspicions about Tor. The Tor project seems remarkably well-funded, and even though it depends on volunteers to provide sophisticated centralized network infrastructure, there is far more of it than there should be for such a project. Oh, but wait, Tor actually received its earliest funding from the USA government (military) from the beginning! So, if we KNOW American-made CPU's are conscripted by the USA government, and we KNOW Tor is/was funded by the USA government, why not PIA?

Actually, I've researched this topic better than I'm letting on. When I first went shopping for VPN services, I found a surprising number of them had very similar basic security flaws. Either those other VPN services are being run by retards, or their funding them with drug money. How else could they ever compete against Private Internet Access? I don't know where all those bad ones are getting their money from, so I conclude something smells fishy, and this whole area of the internet is infected to the core.

Actually, Private Internet Access was one of the few that was full-featured, delivered as promised, and didn't have any obvious security problems that I could find. So, I'm a customer of PIA. I feel safe in the knowledge that the NSA probably doesn't care about my obsession with funny cat videos on YouTube, but if I were a political dissident, I would probably need worry a bit more.

That said, I actually don't use PIA in my day-to-day interneting. My favorite VPN service is IronSocket. They are a little bit more expensive, but they compete very well on features, and I almost never end up with a blocked IP address, like I do with PIA. So if I like IronSocket so much, why I do I still pay for PIA? It's really annoying when something goes wrong, and eventually, it does. Like this problem with Russia seizing PIA's servers - it doesn't bother me much, because I also have IronSocket. If something strange happens with IronSocket, I switch to PIA. Easy!

Plus, I have multiple computers (I'm embarrassed to admit how many), and both PIA and IronSocket allow you to use one account with as many as 5 or 6 other computers! So, both companies give me a lot for the money, and I use both, in addition to several other companies...

I have to wonder, why are the Russians targeting American internet services like PIA? Is there some kind of higher level tit-for-tat political thing going on? What if PIA has connections to the CIA, and they're using their control of PIA for espionage on Russian users? Wild speculation, yes, but this is a wild topic, with cloak-and-dagger intrigues everywhere...Happy interneting!

Below is a screenshot of PIA's announcement:

pupawanola
Almost Nobody

« Reply #1 on: 2018 Feb 13, 11:53:43 AM »

There are a lot of other reasons of a down fall of an industry in a country and that is the coruupt leadership which is a very hot topic all over the world and the authorities are trying to have bestessays discount code to bring PIA back on the track of earning profits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: