Live Business Chat
2015 Sep 07, 04:33:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is a friendly non-profit discussion group about making money. Click the "NOTIFY" button every chance you get to receive instant alerts about new information. We don't like spam. If your first posts are about something you want from us, it is probably spam, and you will be banned in forums worldwide. No soliciting! If you have problems with the forum, contact badon in the business chat.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 ... 350  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCC LIST #183: 2014, collectors, pullback 9 reasons, food, coin-medal-whatever  (Read 74660 times)
badon, barsenault, davidt3251, Jens and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.
pandamonium
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #590 on: 2014 Dec 02, 07:48:10 pm »

Looks like Mexico will make silver money.   They have supply, the best mines.   In time bullion will become real money...

http://www.plata.com.mx/Mplata/articulos/articlesFilt.asp?fiidarticulo=257
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #591 on: 2014 Dec 02, 11:34:32 pm »

The person that wrote that article is no longer in a position to make that a reality. That's why he's appealing to the people who are in those positions to recognize the political value of such a move, and become the first country in the world to do it. He says it would cost the government of Mexico nothing, so I assume the publish peso valuations would be forced upon Mexican people to pay for the new legal tender, but the government itself would not necessarily be offering to buy back the silver at those valuations.  There's nothing wrong with that though, because the move would be largely symbolic, despite the real-world effects it would likely have.

The Mexican peso is one of many world currencies that no one is particularly eager to own. I suspect Mexicans essentially pay for their international business with Mexican silver (and oil, and agricultural products, etc), so officially designating Mexican silver as legal tender would instantly cause Mexico's international business partners to ask themselves, "Does that mean I can give back my Mexican silver for more Mexican products?". The answer would probably be "Yes", and from there, everyone will be much more willing to treat the Mexican peso as an internationally-useful currency, especially if it glitters in the light.

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
LBC makes you rich, with a free ebay gift certificate awarded every month!
The Coin Compendium and the china-mint.info forum, censure, disclosure.
Do not PM questions. Answers should be publicly available.
Backup is not enough. Protect your data with MultiPar.
Writer of LBC Chinese coin investment articles (list).
About me: User:Badon - MediaWiki.org
Badon effect: type 1 to 8, type 9.
I type faster on a TypeMatrix.
Use my work. Give credit.
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
User contributions for Badon - Coin Compendium
pandamonium
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #592 on: 2014 Dec 03, 07:58:32 am »

When bullion takes center stage as real money, Mexican silver as money will increase that country's wealth.   I believe they will do that just as China will back the Yuan w/ gold eventually........what country would not?.....

Interesting comment on CCF on link of another issue......

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11000.msg63868;topicseen#msg63868
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #593 on: 2014 Dec 03, 09:21:42 pm »

I'm writing up an article about that post, pandamonium. Until that gets published, I'll continue on with some more goodies.

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #594 on: 2014 Dec 03, 09:35:36 pm »

This is another very interesting "fake" panda: 371202144742. I put "fake" in quotes because the coin itself is actually probably genuine. What isn't genuine is the admittedly gorgeous plating job it has. I have a particular affection for ruthenium because I was the only person in the world to publish a correct prediction of its imminent rise from obscurity in 2006, after more than a century of being largely worthless after its discovery. My prediction timing was accurate within about 3 or 4 days of its actual movement! But let's get back to the panda..

The "COA" for this coin (again in quotes) explains the fascinating history of ruthenium, and gives you some idea of why it is important. What it doesn't tell you is WHO certifies its authenticity! In fact, this coin is probably privately altered, for dramatic effect, as you can see how unusual the ruthenium plating looks. Unfortunately, that kind of unofficial alteration almost always ruins a coin's collector and investor value, but for people who like interesting but-mostly-worthless novelties, it would certainly strike up some fascinating conversations about pandas in general, and ruthenium in particular.

I did a quick ebay search for "ruthenium panda", and I found sellers from Spain, Italy, Poland, the USA, and more. Whoever is producing these is making enough money on them that other sellers are able to profit from distributing them on ebay too. The search results produced a lot of ruthenium panda-shaped jewelry too, which is completely unrelated to coins. Clearly, ruthenium has gone mainstream, and is no longer an obscure metal. In fact, there are sellers on ebay selling 1 oz ruthenium bullion rounds for investment purposes too, like this one here: 171566651696.

It's nice to be so thoroughly vindicated. I predicted ruthenium was about to make a major upward move, but I thought that would be mostly because of suddenly increasing industrial uses of ruthenum (I didn't know it was going to happen so quickly after I published, either). Initially, that's exactly what caused it, but I think it got everyone's attention back in 2006 when nobody had ever heard of it before, but it was making impressively large upward price movements. Now that the jewelers are in on the game, ruthenium is here to stay. I did not know they could make it look so beautiful.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #595 on: 2014 Dec 03, 10:15:24 pm »

I think it's interesting that this 2012 silver dragon from davidt3251 181601575937 is bid up higher than this 1990 gold dragon & phoenix: 171566779504 from the same seller, and listed at nearly the same time. In my mind, that is persuasive evidence that the 1990 dragon & phoenix is being overlooked - a fact that compels me to keep a few from the 1990 set that I've decided not to collect them, so I can focus on other coins I like. I fully intend to buy and sell them profitably when the dragon & phoenix gets another round of attention. Who knows, I might end up getting sucked into collecting if I can't let them go, and I can't resist completing a set, including varieties.

In the earlier days of this market, the 1990 dragon and phoenix was the #1 most desired coin, due to its evocative artwork and profound symbolism. Today, the dragon & phoenix has largely been forgotten, which is a phenomenon that has affected most of the lunars too, in the wake of panda mania. The lunars were the original flagship series of the China mint, and to this day, the lunars remain the most successfully imitated Chinese coins of major world mints in other countries too. Australia's lunar imitations are the most famous.

You can see the other coins from davidt3251 on ebay. He listed many nice new coins in cheap auctions today, so it's worth watching them.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #596 on: 2014 Dec 03, 11:34:14 pm »

Registered LBC members can preview the draft for MCC commentary #71: LBC/CC affiliate link fundraising, tracking, privacy, SANDAC.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
davidt3251
Mogul

Founder- Chinese Coin Dependency Treatment Clinic

« Reply #597 on: 2014 Dec 04, 10:04:12 am »

When bullion takes center stage as real money, Mexican silver as money will increase that country's wealth.   I believe they will do that just as China will back the Yuan w/ gold eventually........what country would not?.....

Interesting comment on CCF on link of another issue......

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11000.msg63868;topicseen#msg63868

I replied to that CCF post you linked on Affiliate Marketing as most people dont understand how bad it is with some Affiliate Marketing companies, they just see a link on NGC for example and think that NGC gets a referral fee.

I am going to repost my content here as I dont think everyone here is able to access CCF:

I heard of a company that buys internet traffic. Apparently its a $10m+/yr business and the principals are all really wealthy now. However the traffic they buy may not be legitimate.

For example, you may watch shows like Dr Oz. At the end of his show he warns people about websites that use his name in an unauthorized manner. This is a variant on the 'fake coin' trick. There are literally hundreds of blogger-spammers who may put up a photo of Dr Oz or Michael Jordan beside, for example, some nutritional supplement, with a claim that Dr Oz or Jordan says he uses the product and it works. Except the whole use of Oz's/Jordan's image, name is unauthorized. Then there is a link to Buy It Now (like NGC's link) that takes the visitor to another site.

So the blogger-spammer gets the traffic and sells to a company that buys traffic, like the one I heard of. The blogger-spammer gets the affiliate fee.

Then that company sells some product, and it is often high margin items like skincare, nutritionals, vitamins.

But the vendor of say the nutritional supplement gets indemnified, and apparently is in no way involved in the 'blogger-spammer' techniques. The 'blogger-spammer' takes a lot of risk for relatively small return.

So, at the end of the day, xyz vitamin company may have hundreds of blogger-spammer pages pointing traffic to their store.

But the money is only partly in arbitraging the affiliate traffic (eg paying 10 cents per visitor instead of maybe 20 cents using Google Adwords...because Google probably would figure out the traffic isnt legit and ban it so it inst worth 20 cents, so the buyer of the traffic gets a deal).

No, the really big money is in selling, say, xyz vitamins for $10 when at most they're worth $5 and cost $1 to make. 90% margins.

And thats apparently how a guy can make $1m+ a year "buying internet traffic".

I have never sold fake coins but I imagine the technique would be similar. The internet is so huge there wan always be some corner of it where people are selling some fakes.

Its a distasteful business but I guess some human beings somehow find a way to rationalize it.

davidt3251 eBay items ending soonest

DISCLAIMER: My posts are for entertainment (kind of like a Jon Stewart Daily Show for MCC), informational and educational purposes ONLY and MUST NOT be used for investment or trading purposes. I am not a coin (or medals) dealer. My ebay listings are for my personal sales and sometimes my personal sales overlap with content of my posts. Therefore, before acting on anything I have written, contact a professional coin dealer. If you are not willing to agree to this, do not read my posts.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #598 on: 2014 Dec 04, 04:26:18 pm »

Here's something interesting from ggoodluck2013: 131366085399. It has a high price, but he claims this is the first time a specimen has ever been offered on the market. As a commemorative for a hotel, it probably didn't get a flock of buyers lining up to buy one. In fact, its subject matter seems so specialized, that it's possible this coin is another VIP type that was only intended to be given as gifts to "insiders" - people who were close to the hotel, probably in leadership positions of some kind. We have been informed in the past that VIP gift coins tend to be made out of brass because it stands out as different, and it's also not expensive.

Despite today's seeming-obscurity of this coin, ggoodluck2013 says that the hotel "used to be the symbol of Shanghai". That alone is enough to categorize this coin in the very popular CCT645: China scenery series. If you're a collector of that series, you must have this coin to complete your collection. And, if what ggoodluck2013 says is true, this is the first and only specimen to be publicly offered in China or on ebay. That is unusual even for a very rare coin, so I have to wonder, maybe this coin is not a VIP gift, but instead a pattern that was never put into production, and never given to the originally intended recipients? Or, could it be that the hotel people that received them had no appreciation for coins whatsoever, and the few that were minted were all damaged, lost, or destroyed?

For coins of this claimed rarity, typically mintages and/or surviving populations are less than 50, but that can't be known for certain until a big public sale goes through, and dealers start looking for more of these coins to bring to the market. It could turn out that the only reason we haven't seen them is because their owners assume no one cares about a hotel coin - it's not a famous panda or lunar, and the design is unimpressive, especially when compared with other coins in the China scenery series. Look at the ship, it's very cartoony, and not very interesting at all. That is a combination of factors that could have led this coin to become much more rare than it might have been otherwise.

In fact, the simplicity of ship design is not at all typical of the very skilled artists in China's official mints. For this coin to be a good investment, it would be very helpful if it was minted in one of China's official mints. That isn't a strict requirement, but it is the only 100% guaranteed way to ensure a coin's collectibility, and thus its historical and financial value. Other common possibilities that could still make this coin very important and valuable if the coin wasn't produced in an official Chinese mint are:

1. One of the official mint's famous designers designed the coin.
2. An official government agency commissioned the coin to be made.
3. The coin was owned by someone important.

That last #3 possibility could occur if there is nothing at all official about the coin's production, but the coin was accepted as gifts to Chinese government officials, or someone else with high financial (rich), social (famous), or political (powerful) status. Thanks to pandamonium for bringing this coin to my attention.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #599 on: 2014 Dec 05, 01:12:48 pm »

I replied to that CCF post you linked on Affiliate Marketing as most people dont understand how bad it is with some Affiliate Marketing companies, they just see a link on NGC for example and think that NGC gets a referral fee.

I am going to repost my content here as I dont think everyone here is able to access CCF:

I heard of a company that buys internet traffic. Apparently its a $10m+/yr business and the principals are all really wealthy now. However the traffic they buy may not be legitimate.

For example, you may watch shows like Dr Oz. At the end of his show he warns people about websites that use his name in an unauthorized manner. This is a variant on the 'fake coin' trick. There are literally hundreds of blogger-spammers who may put up a photo of Dr Oz or Michael Jordan beside, for example, some nutritional supplement, with a claim that Dr Oz or Jordan says he uses the product and it works. Except the whole use of Oz's/Jordan's image, name is unauthorized. Then there is a link to Buy It Now (like NGC's link) that takes the visitor to another site.

So the blogger-spammer gets the traffic and sells to a company that buys traffic, like the one I heard of. The blogger-spammer gets the affiliate fee.

Then that company sells some product, and it is often high margin items like skincare, nutritionals, vitamins.

But the vendor of say the nutritional supplement gets indemnified, and apparently is in no way involved in the 'blogger-spammer' techniques. The 'blogger-spammer' takes a lot of risk for relatively small return.

So, at the end of the day, xyz vitamin company may have hundreds of blogger-spammer pages pointing traffic to their store.

But the money is only partly in arbitraging the affiliate traffic (eg paying 10 cents per visitor instead of maybe 20 cents using Google Adwords...because Google probably would figure out the traffic isnt legit and ban it so it inst worth 20 cents, so the buyer of the traffic gets a deal).

No, the really big money is in selling, say, xyz vitamins for $10 when at most they're worth $5 and cost $1 to make. 90% margins.

And thats apparently how a guy can make $1m+ a year "buying internet traffic".

I have never sold fake coins but I imagine the technique would be similar. The internet is so huge there wan always be some corner of it where people are selling some fakes.

Its a distasteful business but I guess some human beings somehow find a way to rationalize it.

Ebay is like Google in that regard. They are very strict, and won't tolerate fraud. I can see how such a scheme might work for vitamins and supplements though, because the profit margins are so high.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 ... 350  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: