Live Business Chat
2015 Sep 11, 05:35:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is a friendly non-profit discussion group about making money. Click the "NOTIFY" button every chance you get to receive instant alerts about new information. We don't like spam. If your first posts are about something you want from us, it is probably spam, and you will be banned in forums worldwide. No soliciting! If you have problems with the forum, contact badon in the business chat.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Up Your Investments Hedges - Car Battery Thefts and Your Investments  (Read 749 times)
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« on: 2011 Sep 12, 06:27:19 pm »

In this post, I'm going to talk about the near term future: what is likely to happen and how to protect both yourself and your investments.

There was an interesting discussion in the chat today about the long term future of America and American society. There were differeing opinions. Some believe, like myself, that life in America is going to degrade substantially. Others think that the future has a lot of promise.

Either way though, things are in fairly bad shape right now.

You might have heard about the rash of copper thefts going on all across the country. Copper is an important industrial metal that is easily sold to scrap metal recyclers in bulk. Of course, it has nowhere near the value density of a precious metal like silver, gold, or platinum, but at $4 per pound, it can add up.

You have probably not hear about lead thefts though. I just read a report today from a neighboring town that they are seeing a string of automotive battery thefts. Apparently, the thieves are targeting batteries from cars, trucks, and even gold carts for the lead content.

Keep in mind that these are lead-acid batteries, with an emphasis on acid. Hauling 20 car batteries around is extremely heavy, potentially hazardous, and really not worth that much. These thefts are acts of stupidity and desperation.

The important points here are not so much that your car battery is at risk. Rather it is that people are becoming increasingly desperate out there. In economics terms, the marginal rate of uncivilized behavior is increasing. If you haven't already, it is time to take some basic precautions against potential thieves (from strangers on the streets to governments strapped for cash).

You need to have reserves in as many areas of your life as possible. This goes for everything from  modes of transportation to money to food. In the event that something is taken from you by force, it'd be much easier to bear if you have other resources available to you.

You need to be able to protect yourself. This is really a whole discussion unto itself. Physically this might mean securing your property or taking steps to protect it. Financially this means a couple different things. First, be prepared for more volatility. If you are of the buy-and-pray investing persuasion, you might want to pray a little harder. On the other hand, if you are a nimble trader, look for opportunities in which new trends develop quickly and end quickly. Second, make your assets mobile. You can do this by using very liquid instruments or very illiquid instruments. An expensive vase is probably easier to ship internationally than a briefcase of cash. You can also do this by using assets that are not easily traceable.

You need to be aware. Forewarned is forearmed, as the saying goes. Personally I abhor politics, but I like to keep an eye on what the crazies in Washington are doing in case their actions will affect me. Network with business relations. Network with your neighbors. Each of these types of relationships gives you different degrees of awareness. You could be the most prepared person in the world, but if you're asleep and someone robs your house, it might not do much good.

The world of the fantasy 1950s TV-land America is ending. Some have known this for a long time. Others are just realizing this now. Since you're reading this site, I hope this is just further motivation instead of a complete shock.

Let us know what you are doing to protect your business or yourself in by hitting reply below!

Neal McSpadden
Get Coin Investments List Updates Here
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: