Live Business Chat
2011 Jul 22, 08:15:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is a friendly non-profit discussion group about making money. You won't be able to see all forums at first. You have to register to see more forums. Click the "NOTIFY" button every chance you get to receive instant alerts about new information.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Chinese coin investments LIST #69  (Read 741 times)
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« on: 2011 Jul 08, 01:16:25 pm »

The article is broken up into separate posts - The coin investments list is at the end of the article

We're in the peak of the slowdown right now. Actually, I think we may have just passed the peak. The market is stirring to life, and showing intense interest amongst buyers. I'm quite surprised at the unwavering confidence buyers are showing. I've never seen so many eager buyers during a slowdown. Every previous slowdown has been full of worriers that were questioning the wisdom of investing their money into the modern Chinese coin market. Such concerns have floated away like a puff of smoke.

2011 have given you the first sales over $1 million for a modern Chinese coin. 2012 is going to make that look like pocket change as more and more coins reach or surpass the 5, 6, and 7 figure price levels of $10k, $100k, and $1,000,000 and higher. The slowdown has given us many opportunities to buy rare coins at bargain prices, but surprisingly, many coins set record prices DURING THE SLOWDOWN. The people who will come out on top during 2011 are the ones that didn't run out of cash during the summer buying season!

It sounds like I'm talking like 2011 is already over, doesn't it? That's because the wheels are already in motion. The machine is moving, and it can't be stopped. The last half of 2011 has been defined by the first half, and the pattern is going to stick - but not exactly. It's going to amplify itself to magnitudes we've never seen before.

The experts get asked over and over "If I've got $50,000 to invest, what should I put it in?". Here's the answer: put everything you can reasonably and wisely invest into this market, and you will be rewarded. This market is maturing, and it's never going to be immature like this again. In other words, the tree will never again be a supple sapling that you can bend to your will. Take control NOW. Once this market is fully grown, you'll either own it, or you won't.

You don't need experts to tell you these things anymore. Many of you reading this have been in the market for at least a few months now, and it's starting to become apparent to you what's going on. I've been focusing my attention on another project, and not giving quite so much juicy info from my ivory tower - and you know what? Nobody missed me.

That's right, this market is taking on a life of it's own, and newcomers and experienced participants are no longer unsure of what's happening. Much of the new information is actually coming the fresh perspectives of the newest newcomers. Can you sense the pervasive confidence that's in the air around this market? People feel like they know what they're doing. There's been plenty of articles, books, etc that anybody can dive into reading them, and within a week they'll feel like they've gotten a good overview of what's happening.

That doesn't mean I can't provide anymore helpful information - it just means that nobody is going to feel lost if I don't. This is a good thing. My whole purpose for writing my articles, creating my lists, and answering questions, was simply to make the market a safe place to buy coins, even if you're new. I feel like I've done my part with that, and it's time for me to move on, at least a little bit. I'm still going to be around, and so will others like me. But, the market is maturing, and so is my position within it. The market needs more, I need more, we need more.

So, I'm gradually handing off some of the work in producing these lists to tamo42. If you read my articles, chances are you already know him from his articles, and you know that he's very talented in figuring out what's going on, and handing it to you on a silver platter. In other words, the list is in capable hands, with or without me.

So what's taking me away? The Coin Compendium. It's the most ambitious numismatic software project I'm aware of. I'm pouring everything I've got into it - which is quite a lot, thanks to my favorite investments :) - And I aim to produce the most comprehensive coin information database ever created.

When I first roll it out for testing, I'm sure some of you reading my puffery here will roll your eyes and say "That's it? Is that all?", but give it a while to gain some traction and accumulate data, and you'll have something at your fingertips that can answer nearly any question you may have about a particular coin, its valuation, where it's been, and where it's going. I'm in it for the long haul, and so is the Coin Compendium. I intend it to be a primary research tool for historian numismatists decades and perhaps even centuries from now.

With such a big project to work on, I can't blabber too much longer here, so here you go, enjoy the list, and be sure to give your thanks to tamo42 for making sure it keeps on giving while I'm distracted.

Table of contents

Not everything is in the table of contents, but all the important stuff is here.

* Opera web browser
* Coins sold from the previous list
* Chinese coins are better
* Register, read replies, get NOTIFICATIONS, access drafts
* Recommended reading
* My choices
* Problem sellers
* NCS conserved
* 70 grade coins
* Proof pandas
* BU pandas
* Investment grade 1/2 oz silver pandas
* Investment grade large date and small date pandas
* Platinum and palladium pandas
* Other pandas and expo coins
* Lunar coins
* Other investment grade coins
* Helpful searches
« Last Edit: 2011 Jul 08, 11:38:10 pm by badon » Logged

Chinese coin investment articles
Do not PM questions. Answers should be publicly available.
Backup is not enough. Protect your data with MultiPar
tamo42
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #1 on: 2011 Jul 08, 09:14:48 pm »

Hi, everyone. You may have noticed a slight change starting in List #68. I have started posting a lot on these lists.

Many of you know of the coming Coin Compedium. As it turns out badon is spending every waking moment working on it, so he asked me to do a bit more on these lists because he doesn't have enough time to do both. Things will remain basically the same though. The lists are still badon's brain-child, and I'm basically doing the drudge work of copying and pasting. I'm sure badon will pop up with his insightful commentary when needed.

One of the benefits of doing this work though is that it has given me some insight from the close watching of the eBay Chinese coin market. What I have noticed over the past couple weeks is that the summer slowdown is slowing down. Auctions are picking up, and they are finishing closer and closer to the Buy-It-Now prices.

At the moment auctions still seem to be a bit of a bargain, and some sellers haven't really been paying attention by setting their Buy-It-Now prices too low. tamo42's bottom line: the window for picking up bargains might be closing!
« Last Edit: 2011 Jul 08, 10:15:34 pm by tamo42 » Logged

Neal McSpadden
Honest Silver and Gold, LP - Earn 3% a Month By Turning Silver and Gold into Cash Flow
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
tamo42
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #2 on: 2011 Jul 08, 09:15:06 pm »

Opera web browser

I have found that the fastest web browser for loading these pages of coins is the Opera web browser. With other browsers, my fastest quad core computer slows down a lot on just one page. With Opera, I can load the whole thing up on my slowest computer, no problem. Get it now:

http://www.opera.com/browser/download/

There's also a handy "portable" version that does not require installation:

http://www.opera-usb.com/operausben.htm

Click on "Mainpage" to find versions in other languages besides English.

Neal McSpadden
Honest Silver and Gold, LP - Earn 3% a Month By Turning Silver and Gold into Cash Flow
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
tamo42
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #3 on: 2011 Jul 08, 09:15:32 pm »

Coins sold from the Modern Chinese coin investments LIST #68 article

2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary 1995 panda NGC PF 70 UC  $150 auction.

1987 1 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC  $2,280 auction.

1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC  $255 auction.

1990 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz gold proof panda 3 coin set PCGS PR 69 DCAM  $2,031 auction.

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC  $326 auction.

1991 1/4 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC  $1000 auction.

1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC  $405.01 auction.

1994 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC  $835.75 auction.

1982 1/4 oz gold panda NGC MS 69  $661 auction.

2001 D 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69  $224.50 auction.

2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69  $217.51 auction.

2005 1/10 oz platinum panda NGC PF 69 UC  $499.99 Buy-It-Now.

1985 1 oz silver 94th ANA expo NGC PF 69 UC  $6900 auction. Overpaid>?

1987 1 oz gold San Francisco expo panda NGC PF 69 UC  $2850 auction.

2004 1 oz silver Beijing expo panda NGC MS 69  $350 offer.

2004 1 oz silver Beijing expo panda NGC MS 69  $205.45 auction.

2001 1/2 oz gold scallop flower lunar snake NGC PF 69 UC  $3500 offer.

1988 8 g gold WWF golden monkey NGC PF 69 UC  $899.99 Buy-It-Now.

1993 1 oz silver proof peacock NGC MS 69 (mislabeled)  $959 offer.

1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC  $459 auction.

1997 1/10 oz gold auspicious matters NCS NGC MS 69  $192.50 auction.

1997 2/3 oz silver modern painting penguin NGC PF 69 UC  $950 offer.

2005 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70  $450 offer.

2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70  $970 auction.

1992 1 oz silver large date panda NGC MS 70  $2400 offer.

1990 1 oz silver large date panda NGC MS 70  $5200 offer.

1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC  $925 offer.

1997 1 oz WWF proof panda NGC PF 69 UC  $125 auction.

1987 5 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC  $1100 offer.

« Last Edit: 2011 Jul 08, 10:17:52 pm by tamo42 » Logged

Neal McSpadden
tamo42
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #4 on: 2011 Jul 08, 09:16:12 pm »

Chinese coins are better

* Fidelity Overseas Fund (FOSFX)
* NASDAQ Average
* Brazilian Stock Index (BVSP)
* Crude Oil
* Gold
* Silver
* Chinese coins

This information comes from http://www.pandacollector.com/

Neal McSpadden
tamo42
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #5 on: 2011 Jul 08, 09:16:31 pm »

Sell your coins on LBC or CCF forums

The Chinese coin marketplace on LBC is a topic started by groovemachine for selling coins amongst LBC members. It's been around for a while now, and seems to be getting interesting, so I figured I would mention it here. Ebay is by far the best place to buy and sell coins, but sometimes it's interesting to see what's been posted over there.

There's also a similar place at the CCF

Neal McSpadden
tamo42
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #6 on: 2011 Jul 08, 09:16:48 pm »

Register, read replies, get NOTIFICATIONS, access drafts

Always come back to check the replies on these articles. That's where most of the good stuff is! Register on the forums and click the "NOTIFY" button on this article to receive email notifications of new replies that may make some easy money for the first person to read it. Many of the best coins only last for a few minutes or seconds before somebody grabs them. If you get notified of replies, you'll be able to see anything new that I list right when I list it. You'll also stay informed of the hot topics, and see what other people are talking about buying.

Also, once you're registered on the forums, you can access the drafts forum where I post stuff I'm working on. Having access to my drafts lets you see the good stuff before anybody else - sometimes only minutes before, and sometimes more than a week before! You'll have valuable advanced information before the rest of the market gets it! Of course, you MUST click on the "NOTIFY" button for the drafts forum if you want to receive an instant notification that a draft has been posted.

Hint: Once you see the first draft, click the "NOTIFY" button for the draft. When my draft is almost ready for publishing, I break up the post into replies that follow the first post of the draft. You'll get a notification that a reply has been posted, and that will tell you the draft is almost done. A near-finished draft with the replies will contain more, better info than the first draft notification, so that's the good info you want to see.

Finally, you'll want to stay up-to-date on my postings, so click the "NOTIFY" button on my blog forum. You may want to take a look there from time to time, especially to read my older postings that are packed with valuable money-making information. If you're wondering if I'm worth listening to, you can see a list of my articles sorted by date. Check out the older ones to see my track record at predicting the markets. It's impressive, if I do say so myself. No one on the planet as a track record like mine. You can trust my predictions, they're always right!

Neal McSpadden
tamo42
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #7 on: 2011 Jul 08, 09:17:05 pm »

NCS and NGC need to help buyers find conserved coins for long term investment

I've talked a lot about NCS conservation of silver coins, especially the ones with the highest grades that were graded in the past. Coins that were not conserved before grading could degrade over time as invisible residues corrode their surfaces. That could make your investments virtually worthless!

There are nuances to which coins are worrisome, and which aren't, so I've recommended coins that look good despite not knowing whether they've been conserved or not. For example, an old silver coin that still looks good after many years is probably OK, and a newer panda that came from modern PVC-free packaging is probably OK too. But, the only way to know for sure is to only buy coins that have been conserved before grading.

Sadly, NCS and NGC continue to refuse to indicate on the holders if a coin has been conserved, even if requested. I have begged them to let me buy coins that I know will not become hunks of scrap metal over time, and they won't listen to me - just one person - but they will listen to the market as a whole. That means you. Everyone needs to contact NCS and tell them you want to buy coins that you know have been conserved. Tell them that you want to buy coins that NGC marks as conserved on their holders. Here's the person to contact:

Craig Fiumara
Numismatic Conservation Services
Operations Manager
Phone 866-627-2646  Ext. 145
Fax 941-360-2559
CraigF@NCScoin.com

Once we persuade them that we want to know that our coins are safe, they will obey our demands and start marking the conserved coins. Only then can we be reasonably certain (but never 100%) that our investments will not become worthless over time.

Neal McSpadden
tamo42
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #8 on: 2011 Jul 08, 09:17:18 pm »

NCS conserved certificates?

What if NCS started selling certificates that said that a coin had been conserved? Would you want one for each of your coins, so you could prove to a buyer that your coins are professionally conserved? It's been impossible so far to persuade NCS and NGC to start labeling conserved coins. But, they may be willing to produce certificates, especially if it earns them a little extra money.

Prices earned by sellers have been significantly better for the coins they advertise as NCS conserved. When buyers have a choice between 2 coins, one that's cheaper, but not NCS conserved, and one that's significantly more expensive, but has been NCS conserved, the buyers almost always choose the NCS coins first. Once those are gone, then the unconserved coins start selling again.

Many of the sellers are able to provide paperwork to show that a coin has been conserved, and the seller's reputation leads to buyers trusting sellers when they say the coins are conserved. But what about the buyer when it comes time to sell? It would be very helpful if they had a certificate from NCS that says for certain that a coin has been conserved. It would add value to the coins when they initially sell from a dealer, and it will also make it easier for the buyer to sell later too.

Further down in this article is Craig Fiumara's contact information at NCS. It would be helpful to make this possibility a reality if you told him you'd like to buy conservation certificates for your coins.

Neal McSpadden
tamo42
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #9 on: 2011 Jul 08, 09:17:42 pm »

Recommended reading

Here's some recent articles of mine that can provide some guidance for investing in the current and coming market conditions:

* LBC makes me rich
* Wealth preservation: USA vs. China (By Zerosum)
* Coins are the hot new investment
* How high will the Chinese coin market go?
* 5 criteria to determine if a coin is a good investment
* 13 coin facts to learn for beginning investors of modern Chinese coins
* For those new to the modern Chinese coin market (By Batman)
* My First Chinese Panda Coin Purchase (By Tamo42)
* Modern Chinese coin investment strategy
* Black Swans, Fake Chinese coins, badon, & ebay! (By r3globe)
* Don't be the "whale" that pays too much for an investment coin
* Modern Chinese coin commentary and market predictions - 2010-Dec-15
* What makes people buy up all the Chinese panda coins?
* Investing in rare modern Chinese coins, some questions answered
* Cash is king for 2011 - Get ready for the coming bargain hunt
* Foresight: Gold, silver, coins, etc will weaken after January or February 2011
* Rumor: Modern Chinese coin charts coming out soon
* Why does this business site talk so much about investments?
* The chess game of rich vs. poor

Here's some handy websites for basic coin facts like mintages:

* Modern China Coins Data sorted by series
* china-mint.info Data sorted by year
* china-mint.info silver actual mintages
* china-mint.info gold actual mintages
* Chinese Coin Forum
* The Coin Compendium is coming!

Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide Book

This is THE panda book, written by the world's foremost expert on Chinese panda coins. Buy the book before the coin. Enough said.

Pricepedia modern Chinese coin price guide with bonus using "LBC" referral code

$68.88 Buy-It-Now.

In addition to the book you can subscribe to the PricePedia, which gives up-to-date monthly pricing information on over 700 different coins, as well as a few pointers on what's hot or undervalued in the market. If you send a message to the author mentioning LBC for the referral code, you get a bonus list of undervalued coins, along with your subscription.

Neal McSpadden
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: