Live Business Chat
2011 May 17, 10:31:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is a friendly non-profit discussion group about making money. You won't be able to see all forums at first. You have to register and increase your status by making interesting posts to see more forums.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Chinese coin investments list #60  (Read 710 times)
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« on: 2011 May 10, 09:38:57 AM »

The article is broken up into separate posts - The coin investments list is at the end of the article

I'm doing this a little different. I split article #60 into two articles: a coin investments list (this one), and a less-frequent commentary article. By splitting them, I can do the coin investments list more frequently, and it won't be delayed by the time it takes to write the other article, like they were when they were combined.

I'm also mostly getting rid of the sold coins list. It takes a lot of time to put that together, do the calculations, etc, and it's just not useful enough to be worth spending so much time on it. I will continue to comment on interesting sales from the last article, but I won't be maintaining such a huge list anymore. That's a good task for the Coin Compendium, once it's ready for all of you out there to start putting in data.

I also added a section for other types of pandas and expo coins. There's enough of those to warrant having their own section.

Hey, how about a table of contents? Yeah!

Chinese coins are better

* pricepedia2000_5.11.jpg (84.47 KB, 750x625 - viewed 464 times.)
« Last Edit: 2011 May 10, 12:22:04 PM by badon » Logged

Do not PM questions. Answers should be publicly available.
Business chat forum, Chinese coins forum
Backup is not enough. Protect your data with QuickPar
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #1 on: 2011 May 10, 10:40:45 AM »

Table of contents

Not everything is in the table of contents, but all the important stuff is here.

* Register, read replies, get notifications, access drafts
* Recommended reading
* My choices
* NCS conserved
* 70 grade coins
* Proof pandas
* Rare BU pandas
* Investment grade 1/2 oz silver pandas
* Investment grade large date and small date pandas
* Platinum and palladium pandas
* Other pandas and expo coins
* Lunar coins
* Other investment grade coins
* Helpful searches
« Last Edit: 2011 May 10, 11:25:57 AM by badon » Logged

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #2 on: 2011 May 10, 10:41:10 AM »

Coins sold from the Modern Chinese coin investments #59 article

Overall, auctions are selling cheaper than Buy-It-Now listings, which is what I predicted would happen during the slowdown of the warm months. Buyers are out there, but they aren't all paying attention at the same time, so there's less competition at auctions. However, Buy-It-Now prices are strong, which reveals that the market is unusually strong for a slowdown. If it weren't for the fact that auctions are selling cheaper than Buy-It-Now listings, I would declare the slowdown over. You know the market is hot when auctions sell for more than Buy-It-Now prices, which is what we're used to during the colder months as prices rise faster than dealers can keep up with.

There was a $600 price difference between the 1984 27 g silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $2827 and 1984 27 g silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $2227.89. The more expensive coin just looked better, probably because it was NCS conserved. The cheaper coin had toning spots, that NCS could have removed easily. Dealers complain about the $22.50 cost of NCS conservation...that doesn't seem like a lot of many anymore when it can mean $600 more value for a nicer looking coin - in the EXACT SAME GRADE! WOW!

There were several 1990 1 oz silver proof pandas available in the last article, but the interesting thing to note is that most of them did not sell, even when they were priced cheaply. This one sold for a strong price of $461 because it was NCS conserved: 1990 1 oz silver proof panda NCS NGC PF 69 UC. Are you noticing a pattern? NCS conservation PAYS!

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NCS NGC PF 69 UC
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC
1990 1/20 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $325
1989 1 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $2698
2004 & 2005 1/2 oz palladium panda 2 coin set NGC PF 70 UC for $2250
2003 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $500
2005 1/10 oz platinum panda NGC PF 70 UC for $1009
1984 27 g silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $2827
1984 27 g silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $2227.89
1990 1 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $2750
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NCS NGC PF 69 UC for $461
1992 1/2 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 68 UC for $2650.01
1995 1 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $18,100
2000 1 oz silver mirror panda NGC MS 69 for $3200
2001 D 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $285
2001 D 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $225
1990 1 oz silver lunar horse NGC PF 69 UC for $798
1991 1 oz silver lunar goat NGC PF 69 UC for $465
1998 1 oz silver lunar tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $560
1998 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar tiger NCS NGC PF 69 UC for $515
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $110
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $129.95
1993 1 oz silver Munich panda NCS NGC PF 69 UC for $1259
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NCS NGC PF 69 UC for $525.86

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #3 on: 2011 May 10, 10:41:26 AM »

Sell your coins on LBC

The Chinese coin marketplace on LBC is a topic started by groovemachine for selling coins amongst LBC members. It's been around for a while now, and seems to be getting interesting, so I figured I would mention it here. Ebay is by far the best place to buy and sell coins, but sometimes it's interesting to see what's been posted over there.

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #4 on: 2011 May 10, 10:52:55 AM »

Register, read replies, get notifications, access drafts

Always come back to check the replies on these articles. That's where most of the good stuff is! Register on the forums and click the "NOTIFY" button on this article to receive email notifications of new replies that may make some easy money for the first person to read it. Many of the best coins only last for a few minutes or seconds before somebody grabs them. If you get notified of replies, you'll be able to see anything new that I list right when I list it. You'll also stay informed of the hot topics, and see what other people are talking about buying.

Also, once you're registered on the forums, you can access the drafts forum where I post stuff I'm working on. Having access to my drafts lets you see the good stuff before anybody else - sometimes only minutes before, and sometimes more than a week before! You'll have valuable advanced information before the rest of the market gets it! Of course, you MUST click on the "NOTIFY" button for the drafts forum if you want to receive an instant notification that a draft has been posted.

Finally, you'll want to stay up-to-date on my postings, so click the "NOTIFY" button on my blog forum. You may want to take a look there from time to time, especially to read my older postings that are packed with valuable money-making information. If you're wondering if I'm worth listening to, you can see a list of my articles sorted by date. Check out the older ones to see my track record at predicting the markets. It's impressive, if I do say so myself. No one on the planet as a track record like mine. You can trust my predictions, they're always right!

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #5 on: 2011 May 10, 10:53:16 AM »

NCS and NGC need to help buyers find conserved coins for long term investment

I've talked a lot about NCS conservation of silver coins, especially the ones with the highest grades that were graded in the past. Coins that were not conserved before grading could degrade over time as invisible residues corrode their surfaces. That could make your investments virtually worthless!

There are nuances to which coins are worrisome, and which aren't, so I've recommended coins that look good despite not knowing whether they've been conserved or not. For example, an old silver coin that still looks good after many years is probably OK, and a newer panda that came from modern PVC-free packaging is probably OK too. But, the only way to know for sure is to only buy coins that have been conserved before grading.

Sadly, NCS and NGC continue to refuse to indicate on the holders if a coin has been conserved, even if requested. I have begged them to let me buy coins that I know will not become hunks of scrap metal over time, and they won't listen to me - just one person - but they will listen to the market as a whole. That means you. Everyone needs to contact NCS and tell them you want to buy coins that you know have been conserved. Tell them that you want to buy coins that NGC marks as conserved on their holders. Here's the person to contact:

Craig Fiumara
Numismatic Conservation Services
Operations Manager
Phone 866-627-2646  Ext. 145
Fax 941-360-2559
CraigF@NCScoin.com

Once we persuade them that we want to know that our coins are safe, they will obey our demands and start marking the conserved coins. Only then can we be reasonably certain (but never 100%) that our investments will not become worthless over time.

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #6 on: 2011 May 10, 10:53:30 AM »

NCS conserved certificates?

What if NCS started selling certificates that said that a coin had been conserved? Would you want one for each of your coins, so you could prove to a buyer that your coins are professionally conserved? It's been impossible so far to persuade NCS and NGC to start labeling conserved coins. But, they may be willing to produce certificates, especially if it earns them a little extra money.

Prices earned by sellers have been significantly better for the coins they advertise as NCS conserved. When buyers have a choice between 2 coins, one that's cheaper, but not NCS conserved, and one that's significantly more expensive, but has been NCS conserved, the buyers almost always choose the NCS coins first. Once those are gone, then the unconserved coins start selling again.

Many of the sellers are able to provide paperwork to show that a coin has been conserved, and the seller's reputation leads to buyers trusting sellers when they say the coins are conserved. But what about the buyer when it comes time to sell? It would be very helpful if they had a certificate from NCS that says for certain that a coin has been conserved. It would add value to the coins when they initially sell from a dealer, and it will also make it easier for the buyer to sell later too.

Further down in this article is Craig Fiumara's contact information at NCS. It would be helpful to make this possibility a reality if you told him you'd like to buy conservation certificates for your coins.

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #7 on: 2011 May 10, 10:53:54 AM »

Recommended reading

Here's some recent articles of mine that can provide some guidance for investing in the current and coming market conditions:

* LBC makes me rich
* Wealth preservation: USA vs. China (By Zerosum)
* Coins are the hot new investment
* How high will the Chinese coin market go?
* 5 criteria to determine if a coin is a good investment
* 13 coin facts to learn for beginning investors of modern Chinese coins
* My First Chinese Panda Coin Purchase (By Tamo42)
* Modern Chinese coin investment strategy
* Don't be the "whale" that pays too much for an investment coin
* Modern Chinese coin commentary and market predictions - 2010-Dec-15
* What makes people buy up all the Chinese panda coins?
* Investing in rare modern Chinese coins, some questions answered
* Cash is king for 2011 - Get ready for the coming bargain hunt
* Foresight: Gold, silver, coins, etc will weaken after January or February 2011
* Rumor: Modern Chinese coin charts coming out soon
* Why does this business site talk so much about investments?
* The chess game of rich vs. poor

Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide Book

This is THE panda book, written by the world's foremost expert on Chinese panda coins. Buy the book before the coin. Enough said.

Pricepedia modern Chinese coin price guide with bonus using "LBC" referral code

$68.88 Buy-It-Now.

In addition to the book you can subscribe to the PricePedia, which gives up-to-date monthly pricing information on over 700 different coins, as well as a few pointers on what's hot or undervalued in the market. If you send a message to the author mentioning LBC for the referral code, you get a bonus list of undervalued coins, along with your subscription.

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #8 on: 2011 May 10, 10:54:39 AM »

My choices

* 2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary proof pandas
* silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar coins
* Other lunar coins
* Dragon themed coins
* 1995 1 oz silver & gold proof pandas
* Gold-gilded Beijing expo pandas
* Unicorns, especially the NCS conserved ones, because they're not going to stop rising in value until people can't afford them anymore - that usually means $5000+
* Coins in a 70 grade
* Expo coins

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #9 on: 2011 May 10, 10:54:55 AM »

NCS conserved

Sellers who list coins with the words "NCS conserved" somewhere in their Ebay listing will show up here, regardless of grade. This is to enhance the value of both high and low grade coins that have been conserved, and can be advertised with the phrase "This coin has been conserved by NCS", or something similar.

NCS conserved coins

I routinely pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars EXTRA for a coin that comes from a dealer that I know always conserves his coins. If I pay thousands of dollars for a rare silver coin, it would be a tragedy if it developed the dreaded White Spots of Death later. I have never had a problem with any of my conserved silver coins.

If we're going to get NCS and NGC to start labeling conserved coins, we have to help dealers to earn a little extra money for them. This is a chicken-and-egg problem, where nobody labels NCS conserved coins because nobody is looking for them, and nobody is looking for them because nobody labels them. Now, sellers can tell us (on the honor system) which coins have been conserved.

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #10 on: 2011 May 10, 10:55:21 AM »

70 grade coins

1990 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70

$2999 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. I think a reasonable offer would be between $800 and $2000.

NEW 2003 1 oz silver panda NGC PF 70 UC

$599.99 Buy-It-Now.

2005 1 kilo silver panda NGC PF 70 UC

$17,995 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. The 2004 that's been in the list lately has an auction starting price of $7000, so I don't think the price this seller is asking is reasonable. But, the door is open to make an offer, so I decided to list this coin because of that. Otherwise, the price is high enough that I would not have listed it. 70 coins require the right buyer. A patient seller can hold out for any price they want when they own the only known specimen in a 70 grade. If you have to have the best of the best, maybe consider putting out an offer around $7000.

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #11 on: 2011 May 10, 10:55:58 AM »

NEW 2008 gold & silver olympic series 1 6 coin set NGC PF 70 UC

$0.99 auction starting price.

NEW 2008 gold & silver olympic series 2 6 coin set NGC PF 70 UC

NEW 2008 gold & silver olympic series 3 6 coin set NGC PF 70 UC

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #12 on: 2011 May 10, 10:56:42 AM »

2008 1 oz silver olympics Beihai Park NGC PF 70 UC

$249.95 Buy-It-Now.

2008 1 oz silver olympics Summer Palace NGC PF 70 UC

$249.95 Buy-It-Now.

2008 1 oz silver Beijing Olympics 4 coin set NGC PF 70 UC

$749 Buy-It-Now, or best offer.

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #13 on: 2011 May 10, 10:58:26 AM »

$749 Buy-It-Now, or best offer.

2010 1 oz silver Shanghai mint 90th anniversary panda NGC MS 70

$3999.99 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. Mintage 20,000. RARE! Unusually low mintage for such a recent date, the coins are among the most difficult to find. Last I checked, these do not show up in NGC's database yet, which means they were very recently graded, even though they're from last year! It took THAT LONG for someone in the West to obtain them. This one is terribly overpriced at nearly $4000, so I'd make an offer well-under $2000 instead.

badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #14 on: 2011 May 10, 10:58:41 AM »

Proof pandas

NEW 1985 27 g silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$3080 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1099 Buy-It-Now.

1987 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1175 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. Mintage 11,000.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: