Live Business Chat
2015 Oct 11, 02:56:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is a friendly non-profit discussion group about making money. Click the "NOTIFY" button every chance you get to receive instant alerts about new information. We don't like spam. If your first posts are about something you want from us, it is probably spam, and you will be banned in forums worldwide. No soliciting! If you have problems with the forum, contact badon in the business chat.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold, Silver, and Muggles  (Read 867 times)
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« on: 2011 Apr 11, 10:41:58 pm »

I just saw read a post on Lew Rockwell's site about using laughter as the most effective weapon against the scourge of civilization that is fiat money. The writer's idea was to call it 'muggle money' after Harry Potter's ordinary-world muggles. This would of course be contrasted against better, magical, real money - gold and silver.

I can see it now. Go to the register of your coffee shop, the total is $4.97. Hand over a $5 and say, "Here's your muggle money." Then either receive a very odd look or a question, "What?" To which you reply, "Muggle money, you know... ordinary money. Unlike this silver coin in my pocket."

Who knows, you may just start a meme.

Neal McSpadden
Get Coin Investments List Updates Here
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
dobedo
Mogul

« Reply #1 on: 2011 Apr 12, 12:13:47 pm »

Any rumor lately? I have a few muggle dollars that's itchy in my pocket.
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #2 on: 2011 Apr 12, 12:33:04 pm »

Nope, no rumors. There is some idle speculation about the ending of QE2 and what that will mean for markets. The Fed is making speeches saying that there won't be a QE3, but that could be a head-fake. If the money printers do actually stop monetizing the debt (directly), markets will probably fall and silver along with them. If QE3 is implemented (whether under that name or another) then expect silver to keep on climbing.

Neal McSpadden
Get Coin Investments List Updates Here
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
r3globe
Mogul

« Reply #3 on: 2011 Apr 12, 12:41:27 pm »

I don't think the FED will announce QE3;instead, it might do a de-facto QE with the maturing paper they purchased in QE1 & QE2. That lack of announcement of QE3 could start a sell-off in equities and commodities like Tamo said. Of course, the FED will come out again and announce that they were just kidding and public ally resume QEing.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #4 on: 2011 Apr 12, 09:50:49 pm »

I would love to see prices drop long enough for me to get some silver dimes. I need...

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
LBC makes you rich, with a free ebay gift certificate awarded every month!
The Coin Compendium and the china-mint.info forum, censure, disclosure.
Do not PM questions. Answers should be publicly available.
Backup is not enough. Protect your data with MultiPar.
Writer of LBC Chinese coin investment articles (list).
About me: User:Badon - MediaWiki.org
Badon effect: type 1 to 8, type 9.
I type faster on a TypeMatrix.
Use my work. Give credit.
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
User contributions for Badon - Coin Compendium
r3globe
Mogul

« Reply #5 on: 2011 Apr 13, 06:00:01 am »

I would love to see prices drop long enough for me to get some silver dimes. I need...

Me too! I sold most of my junk silver but kept the dimes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: