Live Business Chat
2015 Oct 23, 08:09:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Several registration problems were fixed on 2015-03-17, including one potential account security issue. If you had difficulty registering before that date, please try again, and contact badon in the business chat if it doesn't work for you. Hotmail is having problems, so try another email service if you never receive any activation or notification emails from the forum. If you succeeded in registering before 2015-03-17, it is recommended that you login and change your password immediately on your profile page using the Account Related Settings link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Truth Behind the Latest Unemployment Story  (Read 897 times)
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« on: 2011 Apr 05, 07:17:11 am »

Way back when, I wrote a post that showed you how to escape the confusion of unemployment numbers. The same technique still holds true for the latest miracle of a 8.8% unemployment rate as reported by the BLS.

A quick rundown of the numbers that matter show that there are fewer Americans working (as a % of the population) than has been the case for the past 30 years at about 58%. The percentage of Americans getting welfare is at an all time high with about 14%. Oh, and don't forget the 2% of Americans currently in jail.

If you do a bit of googling around, you will find other bloggers talking about the same statistics a d how America needs to bring back manufacturing or whatever pet project the writers believes in. That is something you won't find here. All we need is the lack of interference that a free market provides, and people will sort out whatever it is they want to do based on the preferences of goods, services, and time combined with competitive advantage. Honestly I don't think it matters that only 11% of Americans are engaged in manufacturing if that's what people are freely choosing.

The problem comes in with the fascist system we currently employ that hamstrings business through ridiculous regulation, distortion of capital markets, and the subsequent skewing of time preferences.

The bottom line is that only half of the people in America are working. Don't let the headline numbers fool you, stay informed, and take action to protect yourself from a continually deteriorating situation.

Neal McSpadden
Get Coin Investments List Updates Here
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
r3globe
Mogul

« Reply #1 on: 2011 Apr 05, 09:08:31 am »

A good portion of the population is one food stamp check or "JP Morgan EBT Card" away from starvation:  44.2 million Americans and 20.7 million households in the food stamp program!
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #2 on: 2011 Apr 05, 09:21:45 am »

Yep, that's the 14%

Neal McSpadden
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #3 on: 2011 Apr 05, 09:23:08 am »

Which actually reminds me of something. I've heard a lot of people say that the current depression isn't as bad as the great depression of 1929-1945 because we don't have bread lines and such. The only reason we don't is because they get electronically prepaid debit cards now. True unemployment levels are actually very similar.

Neal McSpadden
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #4 on: 2011 Apr 07, 01:37:11 pm »

Oh, and don't forget the 2% of Americans currently in jail.

It's even worse than that.

At least 1 in 3 prime, working age men get imprisoned in America, which causes premature deaths, trauma, disablement, bankruptcies, loss of jobs, the breakup of families, sacrificial orphans and unnecessary adoptions, being barred from housing and employment by the background check system, and general widespread collapse of the society.

The government forces these problems to persist for the remaining lifetime of the survivors that don't die from torture, malnutrition, infection with AIDS, hepatitis, MRSA, scabies, demodex mites, lice, or one of the other contagious plagues the government is breeding in the concentration of the prisoners.

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
LBC makes you rich, with a free ebay gift certificate awarded every month!
The Coin Compendium and the china-mint.info forum, censure, disclosure.
Do not PM questions. Answers should be publicly available.
Backup is not enough. Protect your data with MultiPar.
Writer of LBC Chinese coin investment articles (list).
About me: User:Badon - MediaWiki.org
Badon effect: type 1 to 8, type 9.
I type faster on a TypeMatrix.
Use my work. Give credit.
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
User contributions for Badon - Coin Compendium
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #5 on: 2011 Apr 07, 02:25:22 pm »

Yes, there are all sorts of problems, but the 2% figure refers to those in jail at any one time.

Neal McSpadden
r3globe
Mogul

« Reply #6 on: 2011 Apr 07, 03:02:38 pm »

I think there is a whole class of people who have gone in the employment underground. They become unemployed, get welfare benefits, realize that working will disqualify them from the welfare benefits, and decide to become "permnantly unemployed." Then they will do jobs "under the table" to supplement their welfare benefits. Life does not suck!!
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #7 on: 2011 Apr 07, 03:10:02 pm »

Yeah, someone did a study of the disincentive to work brought out by the welfare system a year or two ago. If I recall correctly it worked out that a job paying less than $35k or so was a net loss compared to welfare.

Neal McSpadden
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: