Live Business Chat
2015 Sep 12, 05:17:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Several registration problems were fixed on 2015-03-17, including one potential account security issue. If you had difficulty registering before that date, please try again, and contact badon in the business chat if it doesn't work for you. Hotmail is having problems, so try another email service if you never receive any activation or notification emails from the forum. If you succeeded in registering before 2015-03-17, it is recommended that you login and change your password immediately on your profile page using the Account Related Settings link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Chinese coin investments #56 - varieties, mints, errors, and RESTRIKES!  (Read 19330 times)
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« on: 2011 Mar 22, 04:53:59 pm »

Scroll WAY down to see the recommendations and skip the commentary!

Varieties of all types have been the hot items during the last few weeks. Prices on some coins have been rising mysteriously, and in many cases it's because new varieties are being discovered that no one is talking about. I was asked why it's taken me so long to publish this article, and there was speculation it was because I was too busy buying. The speculation was correct, I was busy buying varieties that I have discovered, but not reported yet. But, before I tell you what I've found, I'll just briefly review what's been publicly discovered recently:

The first coin to really shake up the market was the 1989 3.3 oz silver god of war & wealth with 3 new varieties discovered, with differences in the "cloud" around the claw above the dragon's head:

1989 3.3 oz silver god of war & wealth clear claw (discovered by "reiboy" at the CCF)

1989 3.3 oz silver god of war & wealth clouded claw (discovered by "reiboy" at the CCF)

1989 3.3 oz silver god of war & wealth super clouded claw (discovered by "PandaGuy" at the CCF, and confirmed by "Batman" here at LBC)

Then, a pair of varieties of the 1992 1 oz silver proof panda were discovered by "Batman" here at LBC:

1992 1 oz silver proof panda frosted leaf clump center

1992 1 oz silver proof panda unfrosted leaf clump center

The varieties of the 1989 3.3 oz silver god of war & wealth, and the varieties of the 1992 1 oz silver proof panda, both appear to be frosting errors, but they may be intentional to identify mints, dies, or some other fact about the production of the coins, for use internally by the mint.

But, wouldn't it be exciting if we had varieties that weren't errors? Even better, what if we had varieties that aren't varieties, mints, or anything simple like that, but actual new types of coins? Do I have your attention? I won't let you down, keep reading!

Why varieties are important

Varieties have the effect of increasing the rarity of a coin. That's why prices rise when varieties are discovered. For example, the 1989 3.3 oz silver god of war & wealth doubled in value in only one day after it was announced that there were 2 varieties of the coin. I'll explain why, with an example. The actual mintage is uncertain, but I have seen figures of 2000, 2430, and 2500. For this simple example, I'll pretend the actual mintage is 2000. That's rare, but not as rare as a coin with a mintage of 1000. When 2 varieties were discovered, that had the same effect as saying something like "Hey, we were wrong, the mintage isn't 2000, it's actually 1000 for each variety".

It doesn't end there, because a THIRD variety was discovered very quickly after the first two varieties were discovered. So, now you have to split up a mintage of 2000 coins amongst 3 different varieties. Already, it seems certain that each variety was not minted in equal numbers. One variety is probably rarer than the other varieties. Even if all the varieties were minted in equal numbers, that would mean that ALL the varieties have mintages of only a few hundred coins. If one of the varieties is much rarer than the others, which is likely, then you have a coin that might have been minted in such small numbers that it might be among the rarest of all Chinese coins.

Do you understand what the means? We went from a coin with a mintage of 2000 that's only worth a few hundred bucks, to a coin that might be as rare as coins that sell for $20,000 or more...in one day. That's the power of varieties, and that's why they're so important.

Restrikes

Rumors started by reputable sources have been circulating that the mintages of some modern Chinese coins have been inflated by the secretive production of an unknown number of restrikes many years after the original coins were minted. In most cases the actual mintages of the original coins are very low, and so you would expect the coins to be quite valuable, but they're not, because of fears that the rumors about restrikes are true. Nobody wants to buy a coin that's supposed to be rare due to low mintage, but actually isn't because the mintages were increased after eager collectors had bought them.

The rumors say that the restrikes were done under a private contract in 2003 for a major German distributor, and deceptively sold to collectors without disclosing the fact that the coins were not originally minted in the year on the coin. The Chinese mint was supposedly obligated to produce the new coins under a contract with the distributors, and since the actual original mintage did not reach the planned mintage, the remaining planned mintage of coins could legally be produced at any time, even decades after the originals.

So, for example, if the planned mintage is 30,000 but only 5000 are produced originally, the mint remains authorized, perhaps in some circumstances obligated, to produce the remaining 25,000 coins. Unfortunate collectors that bought the original coins thinking that the low 5000 mintage made them an attractive investment would be left sorely disappointed when the full mintage of 30,000 was eventually produced later. The Chinese mint realized that restriking coins could cause dissatisfaction amongst collectors of Chinese coins, so the mint changed its policy in a way that would allow it to break the contracts it had with the German distributors, and that was the end of the restrikes.

Since, according to the rumors, the coins were officially (but secretively) authorized by the government of China, and produced by the Chinese mint, so that means the coins are not replicas or fakes. They are technically "restrikes". When I learned of this, something came to my mind immediately: "1804 silver dollar".

The 1804 silver dollar is one of the most valuable American coins. They are dated 1804, but were actually produced between 1834 and 1860. Most of the surviving specimens are technically restrikes, and they're all worth millions of dollars each. So, to me, this tells me that Chinese restrikes are not necessarily a bad thing to be avoided. In fact, depending on how many were made, they could be quite valuable if they can be identified. I saw this as a potential money-making opportunity worth investigating intensely.

Chinese historical figures restrikes

Many different types of coins were supposedly restruck. The rumors say that one of the large size silver unicorns had 4 restrikes made. It also says about 1000 restrikes were produced of the Chinese historical figures series that was originally minted in 4 coin sets each year from 1984 to 1993.

Since Chinese historical figures are such a culturally important series of coins that's terribly undervalued because of the fear of restrikes, I decided I would start there to try to find out the truth about the rumors. My goal was first to find out if restrikes were really made, and if so, to see if the originals and restrikes could be distinguished from each other. If they can be distinguished, then instead of being a problem, the restrikes could become a very profitable thing to invest in due to their low mintage - not as low as the 1804 silver dollar, probably, but still low enough to be worth a lot more than I can buy them for now.

Restrikes are part of the variety craze that's going on right now. You would need to own both the originals and the restrikes in order to have a complete set. The effect of that would be that, instead of reduced prices like it is now, prices would increase because the fears of secret over-minting would be ended, and the supply of coins would be split amongst 2 types - the restrikes and originals - instead of being lumped together as one. That would have the effect of increasing the rarity for both types.

So, my hope starting out was that I would find that restrikes were made, that they could be distinguished from the original coins, and that I'd be able to come up with an estimate of how many were made. That's the perfect combination to set the market on fire for the Chinese historical figures coins.

1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan

Remember when you could buy proof silver pandas for $40? That's about where prices had been for the 1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan until I started buying them up. A few other people who have figured out what I'm buying have started buying them too (they paid really close attention to everything I've said in the forums). That caused prices to rise when all of us ended up competing to buy the same coins. That's one reason why I had to try to do a better job of keeping quiet about what I was doing, since increasing prices would make my research much more expensive - but, it's done now, and I can share the results.

I focused on only the rarest 1989 coins because they were just as cheap as the other dates, and because I figured they would be the easiest to sort through because there are fewer coins out there. Plus, if it turns out that I'm wrong (hey, it could happen!), I would have a pile of the key date coins that would be much easier to sell than if I had a bunch of less interesting coins.

The rarest set of the silver Chinese historical figures coins is the 1989 set. There's 4 coins in the set, that are sometimes spelled in different ways:

* Huang Daopo (Dao-Po)
* Kublai Khan (Kubilai Khan)
* Guan Hanqing (Hanching, Hanping)
* Guo Shou

I bought all of these, but the key coin I concentrated on in this set is the Kublai Khan, due to its popularity. Kublai Khan was the grandson of Genghis Khan, and is a well known emperor, even outside of China. He is the Emperor that Marco Polo met during his travels between Europe and China.

The planned mintage for the coins in the 1989 set is 30,000 coins, but the actual mintage was far, far lower. There are two actual mintage figures for the set: 3879 and 5679. I have heard rumors that the number of restrikes made was around 1000. The difference between the two actual mintage figures is exactly 1800 coins, and it may be because the restrikes are included in the 5679 mintage, while only the originals are included in the 3879 mintage. That was my hunch starting out, but I knew it was quite possible that one or both of the actual mintage figures are wrong.

So, the buying began. It turned out that I already had a few of them in my own collection, so I examined each of the Kublai Khan coins carefully for clues that might reveal whether it is an original or a restrike, and I compared each new specimen I found to the ones I already had.

Kublai Khan restrikes found!

On my first try, I found a coin that was a bit different from the others. It was clearly newer, and the dies appeared to have been made with a slightly different process. I was quite sure I had discovered my first 2003 restrike of the 1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan, but I kept looking to see if there were more interesting things I could learn by finding more specimens. Very quickly, I was able to come up with an estimate of between 800 and 1200 surviving restrikes, which neatly fits around the rumored 1000 mintage.

I still haven't decided if the 1800 coin discrepancy between the two actual mintage figures means anything or not - but, I suppose if 1800 were minted, and many coins were destroyed, that may be why I'm only able to estimate a lower surviving population.

Kublai Khan grade rarity

One of the most interesting things I learned is that, since most of these coins were distributed in Germany, most of them have been damaged or destroyed by European scratches due to European style unnecessary handling of the coins. Both the restrikes and the originals were lost from investment-grades in huge numbers this way. Of all the coins I have obtained, I still have not been able to find one that would grade a 69. My best specimens only achieved a 68 grade, and I was only able to find 1 in 10 of the originals that looked good enough to get a 68 grade.

NGC population reports show that only about 1 in 3 coins that are submitted earn a 69 grade. From what I've seen, many of them are in such terrible condition, that I'm sure many are not submitted at all. On top of that, I suspect that some of the highest grade coins are actually restrikes, not originals. The restrikes aren't as old, and most of the restrikes I've found would probably earn a 68 grade or better, due to less mishandling.

The 2nd biggest surprise during my research was that high grade original coins are much rarer than the restrikes! WOW! I had no idea I would discover such an odd situation, all because the European coin grinding machine has damaged most of the rare coins that have passed through Europe.

So, if that's the 2nd biggest surprise, what's the 1st biggest surprise?

Kublai Khan originals blunt 1 variety, or a doubled-die!?

Oh yes, this is where it gets cool. After I found a few restrikes, and picked out some nice originals that weren't too badly damaged by Europeans, I decided I would sell the leftover coins - but before I let them all go (there were soooo many), I wanted to give them all another look to see if there was anything interesting about them that I had missed. I'm so glad I did, because I think I may have discovered the first doubled-die modern Chinese coin.

While looking at the 1989 dates, at first I thought "Gee, the 'nose' serif on the 1 on this coin is blunter than the 'nose' serif on the 1 of other coins". I privately called it the "blunt 1" variety. As I was taking photos of it for this article today, my camera gave me a much nicer large-size view than I normally get to see through my professional grade loupe. The 'nose' serif on the 1 wasn't blunt like I had originally thought - It is the same length as normal, but it is actually thicker than on the normal coins. In addition, the 'underline' serif on the 1 is thicker also, and the other 989 numbers in the 1989 date look odd too, like they are a bit fatter. That could mean it's a "doubled die".

A doubled-die is where the design, or some features of the design are pressed into the die twice, in slightly different positions, so they appear doubled. The most famous doubled die in American coinage is the 1955 doubled die Lincoln cent. It's quite dramatic, with two 1955 dates clearly overlapping each other. The possibly doubled date on the 1989 Kublai Khan coin is much less dramatic, to the point that it's just barely visible - but, doubled die coins are among the most popular error coins to collect, and if this is the only known doubled die variety for modern Chinese coins, it's quite interesting, and potentially quite valuable, especially once grade rarity is factored in.

I found only 1 doubled die coin. I don't know how many more coins I would have to buy to find another, so I'm not sure exactly how rare it is. The only thing I am sure of is that, of the high grade originals, and the restrikes, the doubled die original is the rarest of them all. Not only is it a rare variety, but since most of them were damaged by Europeans, finding a 69 grade specimen is going to be very difficult. I can make a wild guess that there may be less than 200 of these surviving in pristine condition. I suspect it could be much less than that.

Let's see here...1 in 10 originals grades a 69. Much less than 1 in 10 coins is a doubled die. At most, that means 1 in 100 original coins might be a doubled die. If there's only perhaps 500 originals that would get a 69 grade, that means there may be less than 50 doubled die coins that would get a 69 grade! WOW! Granted, I'm throwing population numbers around that I'm completely guessing about, but if I'm off by double, we're still talking about only 100 surviving coins.

Let the treasure hunt begin!

Here's some photos and diagnostic info to help you find the variety-goodness:

1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan original

On the originals, the design rises out of the mirror fields as if it were glass. The frosting is satiny in texture, and not "sandy".

1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan restrike

1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan restrike from another angle

On the restrikes, the design rises out of the mirror fields as if it were water, instead of glass. The reflective "water" seems to stick to the sides of the design, and get lifted above the surface of the flat mirror field surface. This is called a "fillet", and can be thought of as a "reverse bevel" since it's concave, but on the die it would look like a normal bevel.

The design is a slightly higher relative relief, but overall a more significantly higher relief than the original coins because the design hub was pressed into the die too deeply. That would have normally left a vertical step at the edge of the design where it meets the field, but the die makers smoothed it and polished it to blend it in with the mirror field so it isn't so noticeable.

The easiest places to see the curved mirror bevel edge is on the left side of Kublai Khan, at the top of the frills of his helmet, and on the number 5.

There is another die I have identified that is less extreme than the die that produced the coin in these photos, but it still has the same curved mirror bevel edge blending at the where the design meets the mirror field.

The texture of the frosting on the restrike is more coarse than the satiny frosting on the originals. It has a sandy appearance to it that is most apparent on Kublai Khan's face.

None of the originals I've seen have this mirror "blended edge" feature like the restrikes do. I decided that these blended edge coins must be the fabled restrikes because they always appear to have less toning than the originals. That indicates a significantly younger age, consistent with the rumor that the coins were minted in 2003, around 14 years after the originals.

I also found restrikes of other coins in the 1989 set that have similar features, like the slightly higher relief, and the coarser sandy texture of the frosting. They don't have the mirror blended edge though. I think I got lucky by picking the Kublai Khan coins first, which seem to be the easiest ones to find restrikes with, and the easiest one to identify in pictures.

Another difference that isn't apparent from the photos is the texture of the polishing in the mirror fields. The difference is very slight, and I don't think it's noticeable normally, except when you have the coins side by side for viewing in person. The restrikes used a different polishing method that produced a different finish to the mirror fields on all restrikes I've found from the 1989 set.

It is not likely that the die making processes would be changed so dramatically, while being so consistent across all coins, if the coins were all made at the same time in the same production run. The consistency of differences is the clue I need to conclude that the coins are probably restrikes, and not just some less significant variation in the coins.

1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan original normal date

This is the normal date that appears on both originals and restrikes, of all dies and varieties I have seen so far.

1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan original doubled die date

This is a photo of the doubled die date. Notice that the "nose" serif on the top left side of the 1 is clearly vertically thicker than the normal 1 above. Closer inspection shows a "crease" in the "nose" serif of the 1, much like two balloons squished together. Sorry the photo is a fuzzy enough to blur that out, but you should still be able to make out the general shape. Also, on the "underline" serif at the bottom of the 1, you can see a horizontal "crease" line. The "crease" lines are where two different 1's meet. Also, you can see that the mirror fields in the inside the open spaces of the 9's and the 8 are smaller on the double die coin. That's because the doubling makes the numbers fatter. It looks like the doubling is mostly vertical.

The increased frosting indicates an early die state. Sometimes that means I just got lucky with a nicer looking early die state coin, and sometimes it means the die was not used to produce very many coins before it was taken out of service.

Silver proof panda coin supply

Everyone is shocked at the prices the 1 oz silver proof pandas have achieved, including dealers. They've tried taking profits by selling their inventory in the hope that prices would come down so they could buy up the coins and do it over again, but the prices kept going up. The dealers are complaining that they can't buy back the coins at a price they can profit from. So, there's not very much available.

Eventually the dealers will give up waiting for new inventory to come to them, and they'll start throwing big bucks at everything they can find to try to accumulate an inventory of coins they can sell. When that happens, they will drive prices up, and they will sweep away all the coins that come to the market. I've seen it before - it's impressive. Many of the dealers have the cash ability to do this, and they've got experience.

We'll see what happens though.

Gold & silver slowdown versus coins

There has been a slowdown in the precious metals markets that normally would affect Chinese coin prices, at least a little. But, I did not notice ANY affect. While there were large temporary drops in silver and gold prices, the prices for rare Chinese coins continued to rise. This is the evidence I need to conclude that the coin market is beginning to take off. I emphasize the word "beginning".

Many people were worried that the precious metals, like gold and silver, had gone up too far too fast, and may be in a bubble. So, those worriers sold their precious metals, and caused a drop in prices. They were wrong, however, and now prices are back up again. Coins have gone up much more, and much faster than the precious metals, and occasionally someone says they're worried it may be in a bubble now - it's not, and it's nowhere even close to it either.

The coins still continue to rise in value, regardless of what the metals do, and they're not dropping, even temporarily. Bull markets in precious metals rise and fall quicker than bull markets in coins. During the last bull market, the coins continued to rise for another 10 years AFTER the precious metals bull market had become a bubble, and collapsed. The precious metals prices still haven't recovered from the peak of 1980, over 30 years ago. However,  when the coins dropped, they didn't drop very far, and they continued to rise steadily after the drop, during the 30 years that metals did nothing.

Coins are one of the safest investments you can put your money into right now.

Liquidity

Coins are not as "liquid" as generic gold and silver, which means it takes longer to buy and sell them. For example, you could sell a large quantity of gold and silver at fair prices very easily within a few days at most, or faster, if you needed to. Coins, on the other hand, would probably normally take a few months to sell a large quantity at fair prices. The reason why is because gold is always just like any other gold, and silver is always just like any other silver, but a rare coin is not always just like any other rare coin.

There are many kinds of rare coins, and many grades, varieties, etc. Each one has its own unique "personality", and that is important to buyers. Buyer's don't buy any rare coin that happens to be available. They usually want some specific rare coin, with some specific traits. That means that a seller has to find the right buyer to get the best price for a coin. I estimate that for most coins, I could probably get a fair price within 2 months. It might take longer for a coin that's even more special, like if it's a particularly high 70 grade coin.

For example, I could sell a 70 coin for close to the same price as a 69 coin, but that would not be a fair price for me. With patience, I could find the right buyer who demands the ultimate grade, and is willing to pay well for it. If the coin is very rare and expensive, it could take more than a few months to find the right buyer who both wants the coin, wants it in a high grade, and has the cash to pay for it.

Read the article replies

Always come back to check the replies on these articles. That's where most of the good stuff is! Register on the forums and click "notify" to receive email notifications of new replies that may make some easy money for the first person to read it. Many of the best coins only last for a few minutes before somebody grabs them. If you get notified of replies, you'll be able to see anything new that I list right when I list it. You'll also stay informed of the hot topics, and see what other people are talking about buying.

NCS and NGC refuse to help buyers find conserved coins for long term investment

I've talked a lot about NCS conservation of silver coins, especially the ones with the highest grades that were graded in the past. Coins that were not conserved before grading could degrade over time as invisible residues corrode their surfaces. That could make your investments virtually worthless!

There are nuances to which coins are worrisome, and which aren't, so I've recommended coins that look good despite not knowing whether they've been conserved or not. For example, an old silver coin that still looks good after many years is probably OK, and a newer panda that came from modern PVC-free packaging is probably OK too. But, the only way to know for sure is to only buy coins that have been conserved before grading.

Sadly, NCS and NGC continue to refuse to indicate on the holders if a coin has been conserved, even if requested. I have begged them to let me buy coins that I know will not become hunks of scrap metal over time, and they won't listen to me - just one person - but they will listen to the market as a whole. That means you. Everyone needs to contact NCS and tell them you want to buy coins that you know have been conserved. Tell them that you want to buy coins that NGC marks as conserved on their holders. Here's the person to contact:

Craig Fiumara
Numismatic Conservation Services
Operations Manager
Phone 866-627-2646  Ext. 145
Fax 941-360-2559
CraigF@NCScoin.com

Once we persuade them that we want to know that our coins are safe, they will obey our demands and start marking the conserved coins. Only then can we be reasonably certain (but never 100%) that our investments will not become worthless over time.

Recommended reading

Here's some recent articles of mine that can provide some guidance for investing in the current and coming market conditions:

* LBC makes me rich
* Wealth preservation: USA vs. China (By Zerosum)
* Coins are the hot new investment
* How high will the Chinese coin market go?
* 5 criteria to determine if a coin is a good investment
* 13 coin facts to learn for beginning investors of modern Chinese coins
* My First Chinese Panda Coin Purchase (By Tamo42)
* Modern Chinese coin investment strategy
* Don't be the "whale" that pays too much for an investment coin
* Modern Chinese coin commentary and market predictions - 2010-Dec-15
* What makes people buy up all the Chinese panda coins?
* Investing in rare modern Chinese coins, some questions answered
* Cash is king for 2011 - Get ready for the coming bargain hunt
* Foresight: Gold, silver, coins, etc will weaken after January or February 2011
* Rumor: Modern Chinese coin charts coming out soon
* Why does this business site talk so much about investments?
* The chess game of rich vs. poor

Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide Book

This is THE panda book, written by the world's foremost expert on Chinese panda coins. Buy the book before the coin. Enough said.

Pricepedia modern Chinese coin price guide with bonus using "LBC" referral code

$68.88 Buy-It-Now.

In addition to the book you can subscribe to the PricePedia, which gives up-to-date monthly pricing information on over 700 different coins, as well as a few pointers on what's hot or undervalued in the market. If you send a message to the author mentioning LBC for the referral code, you get a bonus list of undervalued coins, along with your subscription.

Be sure to read the market commentary at the bottom of the post that discusses the sales from the last article.

My choices

* 1988 1 oz gold Hong Kong expo panda dragon NGC PF 69 UC because it has a mintage of only 500, and it is popular.
* 1988 1 oz gold "Au" version Basel expo panda NGC PF 68 UC despite it being only a 68. I think it is probably the rarest coin in this list with a mintage of only about 400.
* 1998 and 1999 1 oz silver Beijing expo pandas because of their enormous popularity potential, low mintage, and relatively low - but rising fast - price.
* 1990 1 oz silver vault protector NGC PF 69 UC, because they are very hard to find in investment grade.
* 1998 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar tiger NGC PF 69 UC because it has a low mintage of only 6800, it is popular, and affordable.
* Unicorns, especially the NCS conserved ones, because they're not going to stop rising in value until people can't afford them anymore - that usually means $5000+
* Coins in a 70 grade. They're getting more action than usual lately, due to increasing popularity and decreasing supply.
* 1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship because several of them are on auction, which means they may sell cheaper than usual. And, they're rarer than pandas.
* The NCS conserved Munich show pandas, because they're popular and hard to find in investment grade until now.

NCS conserved

Sellers who list coins with the words "NCS conserved" somewhere in their Ebay listing will show up here, regardless of grade. This is to enhance the value of both high and low grade coins that have been conserved, and can be advertised with the phrase "This coin has been conserved by NCS", or something similar.

NCS conserved coins

I routinely pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars EXTRA for a coin that comes from a dealer that I know always conserves his coins. If I pay thousands of dollars for a rare silver coin, it would be a tragedy if it developed the dreaded White Spots of Death later. I have never had a problem with any of my conserved silver coins.

If we're going to get NCS and NGC to start labeling conserved coins, we have to help dealers to earn a little extra money for them. This is a chicken-and-egg problem, where nobody labels NCS conserved coins because nobody is looking for them, and nobody is looking for them because nobody labels them. Now, sellers can tell us (on the honor system) which coins have been conserved.

70 grade coins

NEW 1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 70

$399 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70

$588 Buy-It-Now.

2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70

$588 Buy-It-Now. 79 out of 476, or about 1 in 6, have earned a 70 grade.

NEW 2003 1 oz silver frosted panda NGC MS 70

$588 Buy-It-Now.

2003 1 oz silver frosted panda NGC MS 70

$588 Buy-It-Now. Last one sold at auction for $410, which is a very strong price. 209 out of 1099, or about 1 in 5, have earned a 70 grade.

NEW 2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 70 UC

$1199 auction starting price. Mintage 8000.

2005 1 kilo silver panda NGC PF 70 UC

$17,995 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. The 2004 that's been in the list lately has an auction starting price of $7000, so I don't think the price this seller is asking is reasonable. But, the door is open to make an offer, so I decided to list this coin because of that. Otherwise, the price is high enough that I would not have listed it. 70 coins require the right buyer. A patient seller can hold out for any price they want when they own the only known specimen in a 70 grade. If you have to have the best of the best, maybe consider putting out an offer around $7000.

2007 1/25 oz gold 2004 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC

$188.88 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 18,000. Prices have been rising on these, with a new record set at each sale.

2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 70

$350 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 300,000. Asking prices on this have doubled in in the last 2 months.

NEW 2009 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 70 UC

$699 auction starting price. Mintage 10,000. 11 out of 81 coins submitted, 1 in 7, grades a 70.

NEW 2009 1 kilo silver panda NGC PF 70 UC

$699 auction starting price. Mintage 4000. 30 out of 84 coins submitted, 1 in 3, grades a 70.

Proof pandas

All the early proof pandas are what I like to call $10,000 coins, because I firmly believe within the next decade, you will have to pay $10k+ to obtain one. Coins here meet at least 4 of the 5 criteria to determine if a coin is a good investment. The only one they may not meet is the one about conservation, which is less important as long as the coin looks good despite its age, and not very important at all for gold, platinum, and palladium. If any of the silver coins you buy have white spots when you receive them, you should probably return it for a refund.

NEW 1985 1/2 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$699.99 auction starting price.

NEW 1987 1/4 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$724.99 auction starting price.

NEW 1987 1/2 oz gold proof pandas NGC PF 69 UC

$1099.99 auction starting price.

NEW 1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1099 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1987 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1175 Buy-It-Now, or best offer.

1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1200 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 31,000. This is a very high price. The other coin recently on this list was priced at $650 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. I'll watch to see what sells and what doesn't, but I suspect these are on the move upwards.

NEW 1989 1 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1874.99 auction starting price.

1989 1/20 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$525 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 8000. Remember just a few weeks ago when you could buy these for $200 to $300? Not so cheap anymore!

NEW 1990 1/2 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1199.99 auction starting price.

NEW 1991 1/20 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM

$499.95 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 3500.

1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$498 Buy-It-Now.

1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$439 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$459 Buy-It-Now.

1992 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM

$988 Buy-It-Now.

The official mintage for the 1992 coins is 20,000 but is probably lower, as is often the case for early coins. Prices have been steadily increasing, and this one has sold for $278 and $399 for a 69 specimen, and up to a whopping $738 for a damaged, ungraded coin. The $738 price was ridiculous, but it's a clue as to how crazy people get sometimes. The damage on the $738 coin is a torch sloppily engraved into it by a private coin dealer in Germany when the coin was first released. 3000 of them were damaged by the torch engraving, and word hasn't quite made it to all the collectors in China that the torch isn't supposed to be there. The Chinese dealers seem to be making good money by not telling them too!

So, we know that 3000 of these coins were damaged right when they were released, and I suspect that the Chinese dealers may be getting greedy, and they could be carving their own little torches into the surviving coins to try to score a $700+ price tag on a damaged coin. That means that, in addition to probably having a lower mintage than the official figures suggest, we already know that at least 3000 coins have been damaged. That makes this coin a good investment, because it doesn't cost more than coins that weren't damaged on a large scale.

I would grab this coin before word spreads that the little torch coins are actually damaged coins, and pristine coins are much rarer than people have thought. Only 109 have been graded a 69, which is about half as many as expected - but the coin does not cost twice as much! This coin is underpriced, and a good investment. Buy them when you find them.

Update:

There were some discussions that led to questions about why the 1992 proof panda is cheaper than coins that should have higher mintages. Aside from the obvious possibility that the other coins actually have much lower mintages, there's other plausible explanations as well (no one knows for certain yet, but I think these are good guesses):

One explanation for the unnaturally cheaper price on the 1992 1 oz silver proof pandas could be that a lot of people paid big bucks for the torch version. Once they had that, they erroneously felt they had the key coin for that date, and so did not buy the normal, unaltered 1992 coin.

On top of that, once they read our research on this forum, and learned that the torch coin is actually a damaged coin, they may have developed a reflexive dislike for the 1992 coins after having lost a lot of money on the altered torch coins.

It still remains possible that the 1992 1 oz silver proof panda is actually rarer than coins that are currently selling for more, and that would make it a good investment that justifies its inclusion in my list.

Either way, until the truth is known for sure, it would be a good idea to make sure to have at least one of them in your collection/portfolio (in investment-grade, without the torch!).

NEW 1993 1/20 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$698 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 2000.

NEW 1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$588 Buy-It-Now.

1993 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM

$988 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1994 1/4 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$749.99 Buy-It-Now.

1994 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1699 Buy-It-Now. Key coin, very popular. Remember when people thought these were too expensive at $450, and everyone thought my $10,000 prediction was way too high?

1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1288 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$749 auction starting price, $875 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1996 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM

$995 Buy-It-Now.

1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1099 Buy-It-Now.

$1150 Buy-It-Now.

$1050 Buy-It-Now.

2005 1 kilo silver panda NGC PF 69 UC

$4795 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 4000. Heavy coins get damaged easily, and 69 coins are difficult to find.

Platinum and palladium pandas

1990 1/10 oz platinum panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1000 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 4500. Listing says the actual mintage is 3651, but I can't confirm that. Remember when these were in my list around $700?

1990 1 oz platinum panda NGC PF 69 UC

$10,750 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 1300. The last one sold at auction for close to the asking price for this coin. It's been getting talked about quite a lot. Platinum is getting popular, it seems.

1993 1/10 oz platinum panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1999 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 2500.

NEW 2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC

$995 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 8000. These have sold for much more in the past.

2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1195 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 8000.

]2005 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1395 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 8000.

BU pandas

1998 1 oz silver large date panda NGC MS 69

$499 Buy-It-Now. Key coin, very popular.

1998 1 oz gold large date panda NGC MS 69

$8888 Buy-It-Now, or best offer.

NEW 2001 D 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69

$438 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 2002 1/2 oz gold panda NGC MS 69

$1198 Buy-It-Now. Surviving population estimate 3000 coins.

Investment-grade 1/2 oz silver pandas

These are moving upwards, so I decided to include them again. The items in the list are from an automatically generated search, so they're not necessarily recommendations. You'll have to find and purchase coins yourself, but I'll be happy to answer questions about them. There's too many to list individually - the search thingy above that shows the items doesn't show everything, so click the link above it to see all items that the search can find for you.

Large date and small date pandas

Investment grade large date and small date pandas

Pricing information is very immature for panda varieties so here's a search, not necessarily a list of recommendations, that shows you what I might have put in this article if there were more information available. Pricing is erratic, with no one quite sure what a fair price should be, not even the sellers themselves. That usually means everything is selling too cheap. Good luck, and get them while you can.

Lunar coins

NEW 1988 1 oz silver lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC

$399 auction starting price.

1988 1 oz platinum dragon NGC PF 69 UC

$6598 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. Mintage 2000.

NEW 1990 1 oz gold lunar horse NGC PF 69 UC

$4300 auction starting price.

NEW 1998 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar tiger NGC PF 69 UC

$88.88 auction starting price. Mintage 6800.

1999 1/2 oz gold scallop plum blossom flower lunar rabbit PCGS PR 69 DCAM

$4300 Buy-It-now. Mintage 2300.

Other investment grade coins

NEW 1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69

$0.88 auction starting price.

$0.99 auction starting price.

$158 Buy-It-Now.

$0.99 auction starting price.

Question:

"What's the significance of 1986 CHINA S5Y SHIP EMPRESS OF CHINA (22.2g, not 24g as advertised) at $100 to 150? Its mintage is 75,000 so it's not that rare. Is there a cultural significance to it or what?"

Answer:

A few things are confusing about this coin: The weight, the mintage, the quality of the mintage, and the surviving population.

The COA for the coin says it's 26.6 grams, for example, while other sources claim a variety of other weights. I haven't actually weighed any of them yet though.  The information you have about the mintage and weight comes from the Krause catalog, which is known to have numerous errors that the authors are too lazy to fix, for decades at a time, from edition to edition, including simple spelling errors that spellcheck could fix instantly.

Mintage figures I've seen range from around 50,000 to 90,000. Regardless of what the actual mintage is, it's still arguably quite low. I have long suspected that these are rarer than people think they are, especially in high grades.

However, those are all just details that all take a backseat to popularity. The coin is not popular yet, but I think it has merely been overlooked because it wasn't intended for the Chinese market - the ship on the coin is American. The ship theme of the coin is what will make it popular, once it gets noticed.

There are a lot of oddball coins that don't fit in any specific category very well, because they weren't part of any sort of series. Having a recognizable theme makes it possible for an oddball coin to fit into a set, and become popular for the set. For example, China's maritime set was minted for only one year, with a very low mintage. It has become popular due to its low price relative to its rarity, and that popularity has spread to other coins with a ship theme. Some collectors consider dragon boats, and other ship coins to be part of their maritime set.

The quantity of coins that are almost always available for the 1986 coin leads me to believe that the mintage probably isn't terribly low. I think the rarity lies in grade rarity, since the coins are so frequently in poor condition, due to the lack of respect they received for seeming to not be rare.

If we go with the highest mintage estimate I can think of off the top of my head, at 90,000, then I would consider it to be a low mintage coin. I am speculating on this coin, since so little is known for certain about it, with much conflicting information.

I would not be an aggressive buyer of these coins, due to the uncertainties, but I would take bargains from time to time when they come available. The asking price for the coin I listed is $168, but I would put in an offer of $100, and see if the seller will take that. If not, I might wait a while to see if anything else turns up, and then possibly try another offer.

Either way, I think this coin is a $200+ coin in the near future, due it's under 100,000 mintage. It is included in my list specifically for people who cannot afford rarer coins, but still want something better than a $70 panda with a mintage of 300,000 to 600,000.

NEW 1988 1 oz gold "Au" version Basel expo panda NGC PF 68 UC

$3199.99 auction starting price. Here's the first coin I've decided to put in my list that's not a 69. Why? Because the mintage is only about 400. There were 2 versions of this coin made - the one with the correct "Au" symbol for gold, and the one with the incorrect "Pt" symbol for platinum. This coin has a mintage of 400 while the "Pt" version has a mintage of about 600. I believe this is the rarest of all the 1 oz gold expo pandas. It's even rarer than the King of Pandas, the 1995 1 oz gold proof panda with a mintage of only 555. This Basel "Au" panda is amazingly still within reach of most people. It will probably sell for $4000 to $6000, which is peanuts for a key coin that's so rare. Even in 68 grades, this is still the key coin for the gold expo pandas, and perhaps even for all proof gold 1 oz pandas. Grab these when you find them available, and pay what you have to pay, in any grade.

NEW 1988 1 oz gold Hong Kong expo panda dragon NGC PF 69 UC

$8900 auction starting price. Mintage 500. This is the key coin in the expo coin series, even though it's not the rarest. The rarest is the 1988 1 oz gold "Au" version Basel panda, with a mintage of 400. This Hong Kong expo panda is more popular, and more valuable than the Basel panda because it's from Hong Kong, which is important because it's in China, and because it has a dragon on it. Eventually rarity will win out, and I believe the Basel panda will become more valuable, but for now, and possibly for many years to come, this is the key coin due to its higher popularity.

1988 1 oz gold san francisco expo dragon NGC PF 69 UC

$3999 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. Mintage 1500. This is a gorgeous medal with a low mintage and one of the most beautiful dragon designs made. I think the price is a bit high on this coin/medal but it deserves a mention here, since they could take off at any time. The most important thing about this coin that earns it a spot on my list is that it's a 69. Only half of them graded so far have been able to get a 69 (14 out of 28 total). They were frequently mishandled, and good quality, hand-selected specimens rarely earn an investment-quality grade. None have earned a 70. Oh, and it has the Chinese lucky number 8 twice in the date, which increases its desirability.

1989 1 oz silver New York Expo panda horse NGC PF 69 UC

$988.88 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 4000. Affectionately known as the "Kung-Fu Panda", due to the appearance of the panda doing a high-flying kick with bamboo weapons. Hiiii-YA! Smiley

NEW 1990 1 oz silver vault protector NGC PF 69 UC

$695 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 5000. Rare in investment grade.

NEW 1992 1 oz silver Munich show panda NCS NGC PF 69 UC

$975 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 2500. Pristine, clean surfaces, conserved by NCS. No worry of white spots or other problems developing later. I think of this one as the "pot belly panda". It would make a nice pair with the New York expo "kung fu panda" Smiley

1991 2 oz silver 10th anniversary panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1688 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 10,000. Very popular. It's actually a piedfort, not a "piefort", which is a misspelling that NGC has taken from the Krause catalogs. The Krause catalogs never get fixed, and it uses both the correct spelling, and the incorrect spelling, which confuses people.

NEW 1992 22 g silver invention & discovery compass NGC PF 69 UC

$124.99 auction starting price. Mintage 25,000.

NEW 1993 1 oz silver proof ancient paintings peacock NGC PF 69 UC

$1488 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. Mintage 7000.

NEW 1993 1 oz silver proof ancient paintings peacock PCGS PR 69 DCAM

$899 auction starting price.

1993 1 oz silver Munich show panda NCS NGC PF 69 UC

$975 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 2500. These just keep going up. This coin is NCS conserved, and worth every penny of the high $975 asking price.

1993 1 oz silver proof ancient paintings peacock NGC PF 69 UC

$1450 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 7000. What a price on this coin! Is it "overpriced"? Yes. Is it worth it? Definitely. These are among the most popular modern Chinese coins, and they're hard to find due to their low mintage. Investment grade coins are being held tight by people who know the coin is only going to get more valuable the longer they hold it - so if you want to buy one, you have to pay a big price to get it.

NEW 1994 1 oz silver Munich show panda NCS NGC PF 69 UC

$975 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 2500. Pristine, clean surfaces, conserved by NCS. No worry of white spots or other problems developing later.

1994 1/4 oz gold proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC

$2199.99 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 5107. Unicorns have been very hot lately. The expensive prices on these small coins are reflecting their rarity and popularity.

NEW 1995 15 g silver invention & discovery fu, lu, shu PCGS PR 69 DCAM

$599.99 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC

$579 Buy-It-Now. Very popular, and prices are rising fast.

NEW 1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NCS NGC PF 69 UC

$625 Buy-It-Now. Pristine, clean surfaces, conserved by NCS. No worry of white spots or other problems developing later.

1996 1/4 oz gold proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC

$2399.99 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 2504.

1998 1 oz silver Beijing Expo panda NGC MS 69

$650 Buy-It-Now. Didn't I say this coin would cost over $600 soon? Didn't I say it? Look! Now it's $650...Remember when I was recommending these in the $200 range, way back in the ancient days, like 2 or 3 weeks ago?

NEW 1999 1 oz silver Beijing expo panda PCGS MS 69

$499.99 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1999 1 oz silver Beijing expo panda NGC MS 69

$499 Buy-It-Now. Will these EVER stop rising in value? Every time one of you crazy investors buys one of these, I have to list it AGAIN!!! (At a higher price!)

2004, 2005, 2006 1 oz silver beijing coin expo panda 3 coin set NGC PF 69 UC

$850 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 30,000. These are highlighted with gold plating for the expos at China's capital city of Beijing, and are likely to be popular, and thus a good investment. I think they're underpriced right now due to the popularity factor. They're rare, but not rare compared to their price, which makes them seem expensive.

Helpful searches

These are helpful searches for coins, not necessarily a list of recommendations, like the other items in this article. If you didn't see anything you like above, you may find coins on your own here that I have ignored or overlooked. I've included an ebay search widget to show you a sample of search results, when possible (they don't always work, so I leave them out).

I'm not going to be able to keep track of when stuff in these searches sell, so you'll have to let me know if you invest in something from these automated searches, so I can include it in the list of other coins that have sold. It would also be appreciated if you posted your coins in the LBC makes me rich thread. Thank you very much!

Search for Chinese coins in 69 grade

Search for Chinese coins in 70 grade

Search for all Chinese coins

Search for proof pandas

Search for panda coins of all types

The items above are not necessarily a list of recommendations. In an effort to help out our small business members, any ebay seller listing that links to any page at www.livebusinesschat.com will show up in the list above (only a few at a time, sorted by time remaining). The name "Live Business Chat" must be somewhere in the auction, preferably as part of the displayed link. To make it easy, just put the following line anywhere in your ebay listing:

<a href="http://www.livebusinesschat.com/">Live Business Chat</a>

You can use that same line to link to us from any other website, also.

* 1992 1 oz silver proof panda frosted leaf clump center.png (597.26 KB, 561x561 - viewed 2248 times.)

* 1992 1 oz silver proof panda unfrosted leaf clump center.png (630.04 KB, 642x629 - viewed 2195 times.)

* 1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan original doubled die date.jpg (113.58 KB, 905x488 - viewed 1940 times.)

* 1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan original normal date.jpg (121.77 KB, 905x488 - viewed 1938 times.)

* 1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan original.jpg (131.38 KB, 600x603 - viewed 2165 times.)

* 1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan restrike 1.jpg (144.69 KB, 600x594 - viewed 2300 times.)

* 1989 22 g silver Chinese historical figures Kublai Khan restrike 2.jpg (123.64 KB, 600x634 - viewed 2130 times.)

* 1989 3.3 oz silver god of war and wealth clear claw variety_resize.jpg (169.83 KB, 600x609 - viewed 1988 times.)

* 1989 3.3 oz silver god of war and wealth clouded claw variety_resize.jpg (179.31 KB, 600x607 - viewed 2098 times.)

* 1989 3.3 oz silver god of war and wealth super clouded claw variety_resize.jpg (136.53 KB, 600x578 - viewed 2038 times.)
« Last Edit: 2011 Mar 23, 10:43:56 am by badon » Logged

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
LBC makes you rich, with a free ebay gift certificate awarded every month!
The Coin Compendium and the china-mint.info forum, censure, disclosure.
Do not PM questions. Answers should be publicly available.
Backup is not enough. Protect your data with MultiPar.
Writer of LBC Chinese coin investment articles (list).
About me: User:Badon - MediaWiki.org
Badon effect: type 1 to 8, type 9.
I type faster on a TypeMatrix.
Use my work. Give credit.
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
User contributions for Badon - Coin Compendium
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #1 on: 2011 Mar 22, 05:04:24 pm »

Sold recommendations

Total recommendations sold: $361,353.85

Coins sold from the Modern Chinese coin investments #55 article, total: $58,675.37 (surpassed $$350,000 in coins sold from these lists)

I am stunned by how many coins sold from this list - over $58,000 worth! The modern Chinese coin market has been extremely hot lately, despite the pullback in precious metals. When precious metals bounced back, the coins got even hotter. Overall, it seems people are in it for the long haul, and they don't care what the other markets are doing - they're going to keep buying.

The supply has been very good, with plenty of lunars, pandas, unicorns, and other types of coins both available for sale, and selling quickly. The supply of coins has depleted many people's cash, which has caused auction listings to sometimes sell for much less than what people are actually willing to pay for the coins. That means that if you're buying, you're probably getting bargains right now.

The unicorns are still increasing in value at an impressive rate. The Beijing expo pandas are also. The lunars have been getting overlooked, and selling cheaper than I think they should, so sellers will probably use the Buy-It-Now listing format more often. Proof pandas in gold and silver are as hot as ever, especially the small size coins and the cheaper silver pandas.

The 1989 1 oz silver panda is the most common one, and in the past it was overlooked in favor of the rarest 1994, 1995, and 1996 pandas. Now, those top 3 rare pandas have plateaued in price while the 1989 has made steady gains. It seems to be consistently very popular, and always available to many eager buyers willing to pay increasingly high prices for it.

One coin that has surprised me at how well it has done is the 2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda in 70 grades. The coin isn't rare in a 69 grade, but the supply of 70 grade coins isn't keeping up with demand for them. While prices for the 69 coins are still dirt cheap at well around $60 to $80, the 70 coins have exploded to over $300 in AUCTIONS! It's not a bunch of fluke Buy-It-Now listings that have pushed prices so high, it's competitive bidding by multiple buyers.

Anything listed as a Buy-It-Now has been getting listed too cheaply, apparently, so I think we'll see more auctions for these coins. I've been listing them fairly consistently lately because I thought they had more popularity potential many of the other 70 coins, and I was right! It's not unobtainable, the price is reasonable, and it's an interesting coin. That has made it popular, and valuable. Congrats to everyone who put one in their collection when they were cheap.

I like expensive coins, but I put coins like this in my list because very often that's where the most profits are made - you can take profits safely too, because the coin isn't so rare that you can never get another one if you make the mistake of selling your only one Smiley

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $374.77 Mar 22 2011
2007 1/25 oz gold 2004 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC 25 coin set for $3200 Mar 21 2011
1982 1/4 oz gold panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $755.05 Mar 20 2011
1982 1/2 oz gold panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1669.40 Mar 20 2011
1987 5 oz silver lunar rabbit NGC PF 69 UC for $2375 Mar 20 2011
1987 1/20 oz gold tokyo coin show panda NGC PF 69 UC for $316 Mar 20 2011
1988 15 g silver lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $648 Mar 20 2011
1988 1 oz silver lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $622.45 Mar 20 2011
1988 5 oz silver lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $2500 Mar 20 2011
1988 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1050 Mar 20 2011
1989 1 oz silver lunar snake NGC PF 69 UC for $1605 Mar 20 2011
1990 1/20 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $242.50 Mar 20 2011
1990 1/10 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $324.99 Mar 20 2011
1990 8 g gold lunar horse PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1925 Mar 20 2011
1997 1 oz silver proof unicorn PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $886 Mar 20 2011
1997 1 oz silver Munich show panda NCS NGC PF 69 UC for $1475 Mar 20 2011
1987 1 oz, 5 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC 2 coin set for $1270 Mar 19 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $348 Mar 19 2011
1993 1/20 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $998 Mar 19 2011
1994 1/10 oz platinum panda PCGS MS 69 for $1350 Mar 19 2011
1995 1 oz silver goddess Kuan Yin NGC MS 69 for $222.50 Mar 19 2011
1996 1 oz silver goddess Kuan Yin NGC MS 69 for $222.50 Mar 19 2011
1997 1 oz silver goddess Kuan Yin NGC MS 69 for $199 Mar 19 2011
1998 1 oz silver goddess Mazu NGC MS 69 for $138.29 Mar 19 2011
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 70 for $310.99 Mar 19 2011
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 70 for $295 X 2 Mar 19 2011
2005 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar rooster NGC PF 69 UC for $222.50 Mar 18 2011
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $250.50 Mar 18 2011
1985 27 g silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1825 Mar 17 2011
1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $405 Mar 17 2011
1992 15 g silver unearthed artifacts bighorn sheep NGC PF 69 UC for $740 Mar 17 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $422.77 Mar 17 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $910 Mar 17 2011
1989 1/4 oz gold panda NGC MS 70 for $698.99 Mar 16 2011
1990 1/4 oz gold panda NGC MS 70 for $787 Mar 16 2011
1997 1/4 oz gold panda NGC MS 70 for $833 Mar 16 2011
1999 1 oz silver Beijing expo panda NGC MS 69 for $425 Mar 16 2011
1988 8 g gold lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $1850 Mar 15 2011
1992 22 g silver invention & discovery seismograph NGC PF 69 UC for $305 Mar 15 2011
1992 22 g silver invention & discovery bronze age urn NGC PF 69 UC for $180.50 Mar 15 2011
1992 22 g silver invention & discovery compass NGC PF 69 UC for $211 Mar 15 2011
1993 22 g silver invention & discovery yin yang NGC PF 69 UC for $210.99 Mar 15 2011
1993 22 g silver invention & discovery terracotta army NGC PF 69 UC for $193.50 Mar 15 2011
1993 22 g silver invention & discovery umbrella NGC PF 69 UC for $211 Mar 15 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $328 Mar 14 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $466 Mar 14 2011
2002 1 oz gold panda PCGS MS 69 for $2298 Mar 14 2011
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 70 for $305.99 Mar 14 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $103.62 Mar 13 2011
1987 3.3 oz silver god of longevity NGC PF 69 UC for $1891 Mar 13 2011
1988 1 oz silver lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $650 Mar 13 2011
1988 1 oz silver lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $580 Mar 13 2011
1989 1 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $2428 Mar 13 2011
1989 3.3 oz silver god of war & wealth NGC PF 69 UC for $1375.07 Mar 13 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $415 Mar 13 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $529 Mar 13 2011
1996 1/20 oz gold proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $410 Mar 13 2011
2001 D 1/2 oz gold panda NGC MS 69 for $2645 Mar 13 2011
2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $150 Mar 13 2011
2003 1/10 oz gold Goddess Kuan Yin NGC PF 69 UC 20 coin lot for $7000 Mar 13 2011
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $250.50 Mar 13 2011
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 70 for $275 X 2 Mar 13 2011

Coins sold from the Modern Chinese coin investments #54 article, total: $11,831.38 (surpassed $300,000 in coins sold from these lists)

Proof pandas have been selling very well, as usual. The 1989 1 oz silver New York expo panda horse has been making healthy gains, and selling very quickly with each specimen that gets listed. The palladium panda supply has decreased, and that has caused prices to increase, with the last one selling at auction for $991.88, after previously selling as cheaply as the $700 level. The 1998 and 1999 1 oz silver Beijing Expo pandas continue to set records with each sale. Supply of these coins has disappeared since they began showing up in this list, and in the Pricepedia.

The 1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship sold at auction for $100, which shows strong demand for a coin that used to sell for $15 to $30 ungraded. Dealers have been buying them up, due to the unusually high profits that were earned on these before they moved up. They still have lots of room to grow.

The great bargains here are the 2001 D 1 oz silver panda that sold for $165 (auction prices are over $200 now), and the 1996 1 oz silver proof panda that sold for $895 (last sale was for $1099). Both of those coins were Buy-It-Now listings that had to be grabbed fast. The quick-thinking buyer earned their profits instantly because both coins were underprice by significant amounts of money. Congrats, whoever you are Smiley

1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $288 Mar 12 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $459 Mar 12 2011
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 70 for $266 Mar 12 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 70 for $399 Mar 11 2011
1989 1 oz silver New York expo panda horse NCS NGC PF 69 UC for $800 Mar 11 2011
2003 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $410 Mar 11 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $100 Mar 10 2011
1999 1 oz silver Beijing Expo panda NGC MS 69 for $399 Mar 10 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1099 Mar 09 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $820 Mar 09 2011
1985 27 g silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $2325.50 Mar 08 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $895 Mar 08 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $288 Mar 07 2011
1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $375 Mar 07 2011
1993 1 oz silver Munich show panda NGC PF 69 UC for $795 Mar 07 2011
2002 1/20 oz gold panda NGC MS 69 for $211 Mar 07 2011
2004 1/2 oz palladium panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $991.88 Mar 07 2011
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $295 Mar 07 2011
1998 1 oz silver Beijing Expo panda NGC MS 69 for $450 Mar 06 2011
2001 D 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $165 Mar 06 2011

Coins sold from the Modern Chinese coin investments #53 article, total: $9262.12

The 2002 1 oz silver panda in a 70 grade sold for a top price of $585, which is almost 600% of the 69 grade. Grade matters.

The 2001 D 1 oz silver panda set a record price of $202.51, which has left some of the others in the dust. With a new price set, it's bargain hunting time - many sellers are still selling the coins for the same price they did a month ago.

The 1992 1/4 oz horse and dragon sold very fast for $2550 because it was conserved by NCS. It's the first coin that has taken advantage of my offer to list NCS conserved coins here in my article, and the seller was rewarded with a top price, while the buyer got a very rare coin that's going to be worth much more in the future.

The 2007 1/25 oz gold 25th anniversary pandas are the gold counterparts to the 2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary proof pandas I've been talking about frequently. I don't list the coins in a 69 grade because I don't think they're particularly rare for the money you have to put into them. However, I have been listing them in a 70 grade, and they've moved up from around $130 to the present $224.50 price level for one with a 2000 panda design.

The unicorns have been moving up at a shocking pace. First it was the 1995 1 oz silver that passed $1000 in a previous article, and now it's the 1996 that's less rare, but just passed the $500 level very quickly. All the unicorns are getting plucked from the market as fast as they appear. There are several buyers grabbing these things, so it's been interesting to watch.

The 2005 1 oz silver panda in a 70 grade was cheap at $245, so it was no surprise that it sold quickly after I listed it. I've been watching coins near that date hit the $300 level.

1982 1/2 oz gold panda NGC MS 69 for $1625 Mar 06 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $96.11 Mar 06 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $535 Mar 06 2011
1992 1/4 oz gold horse NCS NGC PF 69 UC for $2550 Mar 05 2011
2001 D 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $202.51 Mar 05 2011
2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $90 Mar 05 2011
2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $585 Mar 05 2011
2005 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $245 Mar 05 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $1036 Mar 05 2011
2007 1/25 oz gold 2000 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC for $224.50 Mar 05 2011
1988 1/2 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1225 Mar 04 2011
1991 15 g silver lunar goat NGC PF 69 UC for $398 Mar 04 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $450 Mar 03 2011

Coins sold from the Modern Chinese coin investments #52 article, total: $17,762.62

This article covered a bit less than half as many days as the previous article, and the intensity of the sales activity is about the same. The market is so hot right now that it's exhausting to watch. It's not slowing down either, even though I'm feeling a bit burned out just with my own purchases. Trying to keep track of everyone else's has been quite a task! The funny thing is that the market seems to be getting even more active, instead of plateauing or slowing down. I suppose I'm doing the same thing with my own purchases, even though I'm feeling quite mentally tired from all the activity. I'm sure many of you reading this feel the same way, but the buying and selling continues!

A 1995 1 oz silver proof panda sold for a bargain price of $888.88 when previous sales were near or over the $1000 level. I'm sure the seller was taking a quick profit on a 3 day auction so he could buy more coins. Congratulations to whoever got that coin for such a good price.

A 1996 sold by the same seller went for a bargain price of $749 also.

The 1989 pandas just don't seem to want to stop. They're selling very strongly at the $280 level, and ungraded prices have boomed from around $100 all the way to over $200. That indicates that dealers are buying them up so they can send more in for grading in the hope that they'll get nice 69 grades and a healthy profit.

The 1989 saving children fund coin sold for $428, which is a VERY strong price for that coin. It has a mintage of 30,000 - a bit higher than the regular 1989 1 oz silver proof panda that sells for about $280. So, a slightly less-rare coin that's not even part of the regular panda series is selling for almost DOUBLE the price of a similar coin - why? It's all about the popularity! Popularity is THE MOST IMPORTANT factor to consider for coin investing. The saving children fund coin has a panda on it, which is good, but it also has children on it, which makes it much more "cute". Cute things are popular, just like powerful things are - like dragons, horses, and tigers. Very interesting!

The 1985 proof panda sold for $2275, which is a very strong price. I've been criticized for my prediction that proof pandas will be selling for $10,000 each in the next decade or so.  Well, this coin is just solidly passed the $2000 level...

The 2008 5 oz silver panda in a 70 grade failed to exceed the $1000 level like I thought it would. The mintage is low, but the coins haven't been receiving enough demand to both pull them off the market, and drive prices up to where I thought they should be. It sold for $890 instead, which I think was a very good price, but I'm not quite so excited about the bargain priced-ness of it as I am about the 1995 and 1996 1 oz coins that sold cheaply. I think the 5 oz coins still have a ways to go to prove themselves to be as popular as the normal sized coins. This is why I don't list 5 oz coins very often. I usually only list them if they're particularly rare for the grade they have - that's 69 for older coins, and 70 for newer coins.

We saw several very interesting coins that are almost never sent in for grading from the seller "seaclassic". The coins were a dragon & phoenix and an invention & discovery cast Chinese coins coin. They both sold for high prices that are going to seem dirt cheap in a few months.

The 1998 1 oz silver gold plated Beijing Expo pandas sold very quickly after the article mentioned them in the opening commentary. Their time has come, and they have moved up FAST in value, to nearly the $400 level. That's still pretty cheap though, since I expect their 1998 date and their beauty to make them among the most popular of silver pandas. Their rarity will seal the deal and make certain that they continue to cost increasingly large amounts of money. I expect them to reach the $1000 level some time this year, but maybe in just a few months now that the world is looking for them.

A 1993 silver scallop rooster sold for almost $900, which I think is the highest price ever paid for a silver scallop lunar coin, not including the key dragon coin. A graded dragon has not been seen for quite a long time, so if one were to surface, I expect it to easily pass the $1000 level, and maybe go substantially higher.

The star of the show was by far the 2000 1/2 oz gold scallop plum blossom flower lunar dragon PCGS PR 69 DCAM that sold for $5995. I know it was underpriced by several thousand dollars, but this coin is so rarely seen that I'm not sure exactly how underpriced it was. The previous one that sold was sold during the slowdown on December 12th for very close to the same price. All the other coins in the same series have doubled in price, or more, in the months since the last dragon was sold. Since the dragon is the key of the series, it seems logical to me that it should have doubled in price also, if not more. A doubling would put the correct value of that coin at well over $10,000 but the seller listed it in a Buy-It-Now for the same price it was selling for several months ago. It only lasted a few minutes before somebody grabbed it. Nearly $6000 burned a hole in somebody's wallet like stick of dynamite burns a hole into the side of a mountain...WOW, what a bargain!

1990 1/10 oz platinum panda NGC PF 69 UC for $700 Mar 02 2011
1995 1/20 oz gold panda NGC MS 70 for $1188.88 Mar 02 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $888.88 Mar 02 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $749 Mar 01 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $279 Feb 28 2011
2000 1/2 oz gold scallop plum blossom flower lunar dragon PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $5995 Feb 28 2011
2008 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 70 UC for $890 Feb 28 2011
1985 27 g silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $2275 Feb 27 2011
1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $600 Feb 27 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $280 Feb 27, $275 Feb 14 2011
1989 22 g silver proof saving children fund panda NGC PF 69 UC for $428 Feb 27 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 27 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof dragon & phoenix NGC PF 69 UC for $756 Feb 27 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $450 Feb 27 2011
1992 15 g invention & discovery ancient Chinese coins NGC PF 69 UC for $250 Feb 27 2011
1993 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar rooster NGC PF 69 UC for $898.88 Feb 27 2011
1998 1 oz silver beijing expo panda NGC MS 69 for $399.99 Feb 27, $299.99 Jan 11 2011
2007 1/25 oz gold 2004 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC for $159.99 Feb 27 2011

Coins sold from the Modern Chinese coin investments #51 article, total: $55,579.50 (surpassed $250,000 in coins sold from these lists)

Buying is the most aggressive I've seen in a long time. I've seen many, many listings that have both a higher Buy-It-Now price and a lower auction starting price. During normal market conditions, the Buy-It-Now price is above the market value, and the auction starting price is right at the market value. Buyers normally will place a bid at the auction starting price, and the coin will sell with just one bid.

Now I'm seeing buyers just grabbing the coins at the Buy-It-Now price to eliminate the possibility that someone else might bid the coin up higher. The shocking thing is that sometimes the difference between the Buy-It-Now price and the auction starting price is several hundred dollars! That's like saying "I'm going to pay an extra $500 just to make sure no one can outbid me for this coin". Amazing.

These Buy-It-Now prices that people are paying are not cheap either. Some coins are being listed at old prices because the sellers aren't aware prices have increased. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about rare, desirable investment-grade coins in this list here that have had their prices adjusted upwards, and are still getting grabbed at whatever price will get the coin locked in for the buyer.

For example, it happened on the 1997 three kingdoms coin that sold for $3500. The auction starting price was a few hundred dollars cheaper at $3150, but the buyer decided it was worth $3500 to beat everyone else in obtaining that coin, instead of gambling for a cheaper price. That's some seriously aggressive buying, by a whole lot of people with plenty of money, who are trying to cut short any possible bidding war.

I've noticed that when one coin is listed for a Buy-It-Now of $529, and another is listed at auction for a much lower price, the coin that's on a Buy-It-Now will go unsold, while the auction price will get pushed up to even MORE than the Buy-It-Now coin. That's what happened with a pair of 1992 1 oz silver proof pandas in the last article. One coin just sat there for the bargain Buy-It-Now price of $529, while the coin on auction got pushed up to $540. Even after the auction was over, the cheaper $529 coin still went unnoticed, even by the second highest bidder who was willing to pay $530 for the auction coin. This is a well-known phenomenon in auctions. If the starting price for a coin is too low, it will draw much more attention than a coin that's fairly priced. As strong as the market is right now, if you sell, you want to sell at auction.

The 1994 1 oz silver proof panda set a new record at $1250, which I believe to be the highest price ever paid for a 1 oz silver proof panda from the 1989 to 1996 series. I call these $10,000 pandas, which left people quite skeptical at first. There's still many people who find it hard to believe that these pandas will cost you $10k in the next decade, but  we're already well on our way to $2000 - a price that seemed silly a few months ago when you could have bought one of them for around $300!

No lie, I feel the pain, because I sold one of mine near that price level - but I got a good coin in return for it, so I guess it's OK...I still miss my 1994, and watching it triple in price leaves me wonder if maybe I should figure out another way to fund coin purchase that doesn't involve selling coins. I make more money just looking at them than I do by selling them...that's why the market can dry up so fast - sellers stop selling when they make more money by keeping the coins!

The 2007 25th anniversary pandas are performing well, and holding gains. They're not as plentiful as they used to be, and whenever they appear for sale, they're selling for strong prices. The prices aren't steady yet though, so it's tough to predict what they'll sell for. As the supply gets mopped up, you'll continue to see gradual price gains, with bargains appearing from time to time until they're gone.

The rare gold and silver unicorns have been on fire, with record prices on each one sold.

This has been an exciting week for all coins.

1994 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1250 Feb 27, 2011
1998 1 oz silver "reduced size" lunar tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $610 Feb 27, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $810 Feb 27, 2011
1986 gold proof panda 5 coin set NGC PF 69 UC for $4950 Feb 26, 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $988 Feb 26, 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1025 Feb 26, 2011
2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC for $932.22 Feb 26, 2011
1995 1/10 oz gold proof unicorn PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1680 Feb 25, 2011
1997 5 oz silver three kindgoms NGC PF 69 UC for $3500 Feb 25, 2011
1988 5 oz gold panda NGC PF 69 UC for $12888 Feb 24, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $275 Feb 24, 2011
1994 1 oz silver lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $585 Feb 24, 2011
2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $132.49 Feb 24, 2011
2005 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $300 Feb 24, 2011
1991 15 g silver lunar goat NGC PF 69 UC for $350 Feb 23, 2011
2001 D 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $170 Feb 23, 2011
2008, 2009, 2009 1 oz silver panda 3 coin lot NGC MS 70 for $350 Feb 23, 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 70 for $385 Feb 22, 2011
2000 1/20 oz gold frosted panda NGC MS 69 for $200 Feb 22, 2011
2005 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $3800 Feb 22, 2011
2007 1/25 oz gold 2004 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC for $139.99 Feb 22, 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 70 for $385 Feb 20, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $275.95 Feb 20, 2011
1989 1 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $2355 Feb 20, 2011
1993 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar rooster NGC PF 69 UC for $760 Feb 20, 2011
1995 15 g silver fu lu shu NGC PF 69 UC for $425 Feb 20, 2011
2001 D 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $150 Feb 20, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 2004 25th anniversary panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $82 Feb 20, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $807 Feb 20, 2011
2008 1 oz silver olympic kite flying NGC PF 70 UC for $199.95 Feb 20, 2011
1986 gold proof panda 5 coin set NGC PF 69 UC for $6500 Feb 19, 2011
1989 1 oz silver New York expo panda horse NGC PF 69 UC for $688.88 Feb 19, 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $329 Feb 19, 2011
1991 bimetallic 25 yuan coin and hong kong expo 2 coin set NGC PF 69 UC for $4450 Feb 19, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $540 Feb 19, 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $1020 Feb 19, 2011
1995 1 oz silver kuan yin NGC MS 69 for $266 Feb 19, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $1025.02 Feb 19, 2011

Coins sold from the Modern Chinese coin investments #50 article, total: $23,701.35 (surpassed $200,000 in coins sold from these lists)

Just look at how many coins sold! WOW! This is the most aggressive buying action from these lists since I began doing them a few months ago. The market is no longer in a slowdown. It's officially HOT!

The best bargain that got snagged was the 1986 1/20 oz gold proof panda. It sold for only $164.50! That's roughly 1/10th of what I think that coin SHOULD be selling for in the near future. Other dates have been selling for around $250 to $500 right now, so no matter how you look at it, the coin sold cheap. It has a mintage of only 10,000 with many of them destroyed through usage in Jewerly. A silver proof panda with a similar mintage in high grade would sell for around $700 to $1800, depending on the year. Whoever bought that coin made a very good investment.

Also interesting is the aggressive buying action on the 1996 1 oz silver proof unicorns. Full asking prices are being paid, and new records are being set. 3 of them sold for over $450, when they were selling for only around $280 just a few weeks ago. WOW!

The 1 oz silver lunar coins are very hot too. It looks like it's going to be hard to get them under $400 from now on.

The 1988 1 oz gold Hong Kong Expo medal sold $8600, which was a bit more than my maximum "bargain" estimate of $8000. In general, coins are starting to exceed my price estimates, instead of falling short as they were during the slowdown. These are exciting times again.

1991 1/4 oz gold proof pandas NGC PF 69 UC for $1100 Feb 19, 2011
1989 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1000 Feb 19, 2011
1986 1/20 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $165.50 Feb 18, 2011
1988 1 oz gold hong kong expo panda dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $8600 Feb 18, 2011
1988 1 oz platinum lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $6200 Feb 18, 2011
1988 1 oz silver dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $770 Feb 18, 2011
1992 1 oz silver lunar monkey NGC PF 69 UC for $365 Feb 18, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 18, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $454.95 X 3 Feb 18, 2011
1996 1 oz silver piedfort kuan yin NGC PF 69 UC for $650 Feb 18, 2011
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $270 Feb 18, 2011
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $270 Feb 18, 2011
1994 1/4 oz gold proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $1500 Feb 17, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 17, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 17, 2011 (LBC makes me rich)
2004 1 oz silver beijing expo panda NGC MS 69 for $249 Feb 17, 2011

Coins sold from the Modern Chinese coin investments #49 article, total: $9304

Once again, 1989 coins are being bought very aggressively. The prices for the 1989 1 oz silver proof panda are quickly moving back up to the peak offering price of $299, with the highest sale at $275. That's some very unusual strong buying we're seeing. I don't have an explanation for it either. I suspect the coin is seen as a bargain, due to its low price compared to the other proof pandas. It is an attractive first investment to make, on a coin that can't be called overpriced due to massive gains yet, unlike some of the others that earlier had doubled or tripled in just a few months.

Small size gold proof pandas are extremely hot right now. Record prices all around, on rarely seen and hard to find investment-grade coins. Compared to their full-size counterparts, they're more affordable, and very attractive investments due to the larger number of people who can afford to drive the prices upward on them.

The 2000 scallop dragon was a coin that I had overlooked (on purpose or by accident, I wont say, hehe). I was surprised to see them both sell very quickly after they were brought to everyone's attention by FanOfBadon in the comments on my last article. They're the key coin for the silver scallop series, and although I think the nearly $1000 price is high, it's nothing compared to where it'll be in the future. With a mintage of only 6800, and increasing popularity, it's likely they'll end up being $10,000 coins along with the many other comparatively inexpensive coins that are included in my list when they come available.

1994 1/4 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 UC for $1598 Feb 16, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $250 Feb 15, 2011
1990 1/2 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1275 Feb 15, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 15, 2011 (LBC makes me rich private sale)
1993 1/2 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $3250 Feb 15, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $275 Feb 14, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $259 Feb 14, 2011
2000 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dragon PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $999 X 2 Feb 14, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #48 article, total: $7972.79

Somebody got a great bargain on the 2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC. It went for only $63.01, when my estimate was $180. I've been told my enthusiasm for these coins is a bit too emphatic, and that may be the case, but even those who are telling me that agree that $63 for one of these was a bargain price. I would have bought it myself, but I was busy writing this article, and didn't notice it going WAY too cheaply!

The lunar coins did very well, especially the 1989 1 oz gold snake. It has a mintage of 3000, and sold for over $4000! There are several coins in this list right now with mintages lower than that, and many cost a small fraction of that price. That's a clue about where prices are going on the underpriced coins. Notice the difference that a little extra rarity and popularity can make - 8 g gold snake from the same year has a little more than double the mintage, so you would intuitively guess that it'd sell for half the price, right? Well, it sold for about 1/5 the price. A little rarity and a lot of popularity goes a LONG way.

1988 8 g gold lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $1075 Feb 13, 2011
1989 8 g gold lunar snake NGC PF 69 UC for $750 Feb 13, 2011
1989 1 oz gold lunar snake NGC PF 69 UC for $4055.56 Feb 13, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 2004 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC for $63.01 Feb 13, 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $899 Feb 11, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $822.22 Feb 11, 2011
2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $86 Feb 10, 2011
1995 1/20 oz gold small date panda NGC MS 69 for $222 Feb 10, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #47 article, total: $1123

1990, 1991, and 1992 coins are the sold items of the day. Funny how that comes right after the hoard of 1989 coins that were bought up just prior. Probably a temporary anomaly, but I don't think so. Overall, not an exciting set of sales, but the worldwide markets were slower today after a temporary rally in the U.S. Dollar. That really is only temporary. Prices have been increasing noticeably, and fewer coins are being listed. I'm hearing reports of sellers delisting their coins, or claiming to have "lost" it after someone purchases it. A few good coins have been getting listed though, but at higher prices.

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $309 Feb 09, 2011
1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 09, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $415 Feb 09, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #46 article, total: $5604

What's up with the 1989 coins? For whatever reason, all the hottest coins are dated 1989. 1989 1 oz silver proof pandas continue to be bought up aggressively, with the cheaper coins disappearing quickly. Anything $299 and under has been getting bought up. The American expo medals are also still selling well, especially the 1989 1 oz silver with a mintage of only 4000.

1999 1 oz gold large date panda NGC MS 70 for $4550 Feb 08, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 DCAM for $255 Feb 08, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $299 Feb 07, 2011
1989 1 oz silver New York expo panda horse NGC PF 69 UC for $500 Feb 07, 2011 (private sale, LBC makes me rich)

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #45 article, total: $4296.99

Sales are strong again, with many proof silver pandas being bought aggressively. Small size coins are selling quickly, or being removed from sale offerings, sometimes before the article gets published. Proof silver pandas were the star of the show, by far, but the other coins that sold went for very strong prices, especially coins with dragons and horses on them. 1989 1 oz silver proof pandas were on fire for some reason. Prices hit the $299 level, which I think is a new record for that coin. If not a new record, then at least it's back up to where it was before the slowdown started. Very impressive performance overall.

1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $279 Feb 05, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $718.88 Feb 05, 2011
2007 1/25 oz gold 25th anniversary 2004 panda NGC PF 70 UC for $129.99 Feb 05, 2011
1988 1 oz silver piedfort lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $688 Feb 04, 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $309 Feb 04, 2011
1989 1/4 oz gold new york expo panda horse NGC PF 69 UC for $873 Feb 04, 2011 (LBC makes me rich)
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $260 Feb 04, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $299 Feb 04, 2011
1990 1 g gold proof dragon & phoenix NGC PF 69 UC for $400 Feb 03, 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $340.12 Feb 03, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #44 article, total: $2686.72

Sales were strong for this article. Prices are still reduced from their recent peak, but they're climbing upward again. The star of the show was the 1988 1 oz gold san francisco expo dragon medal that sold for $3250. That's a nice price for a medal, and evidence that my article detailing why medals matter was correct.

1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $405 Feb 03, 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $227.62 Feb 03, 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $340.12 Feb 03, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $680 Feb 03, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $330.98 Feb 03, 2011
1988 1 oz gold san francisco expo dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $3250 Feb 02, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #43 article, total: $928.99

1990 1/10 oz platinum proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $699 Feb 02, 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $100 Feb 02, 2011
2007 1/25 oz gold 25th anniversary 2004 panda NGC PF 70 UC for $129.99 Feb 01, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #42 article, total: $2241.59

The 1990 dragon & phoenix coin achieved strong price that I believe is a new record. The coin was previously not considered rare, but now it is, and it earned almost $400! The 1997 unicorn was listed with a Buy-It-Now price of only $115, but greedy buyers decided to try to bid on it instead at its auction starting price of $99 to shave a few dollars off the price. In the end, they just had to pay more, as the coin almost reached $125 in auction. Pay the asking price, and get the coin! Don't be a cheapskate. The historical figures Beethoven coin was a disappointment at only $80. I think it is easily worth $100+, but The Market has spoken...I consider it a bargain. The 1986 empress of China coin sold at auction for almost $90, which I think is an excellent price, and shows some solid strength in the demand for that coin. Prices have been increasing for both raw and graded coins, with 69 and 70 graded coins selling for very profitable prices from a dealer perspective, and motivating them to submit more of them for grading. The 70 coins are the real stunners to watch for though, with MASSIVE premiums over the price of a 69.

1990 1 oz silver dragon & phoenix NGC PF 69 UC for $395 Feb 01, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $777.77 Jan 31, 2011 (LBC makes me rich)
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $275 Jan 31, 2011
2002 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $99 Jan 31, 2011
1997 1 oz silver unicorn NGC MS 69 for $124.49 Jan 31, 2011
1990 1 oz silver world historical figures Beethoven NGC PF 69 UC for $80 Jan 31, 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $89.88 Jan 31, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $399.95 Jan 30, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #41 article, total: $2620.99 (surpassed $150,000 in coins sold from these lists)

2007 1/25 oz gold 25th anniversary 2004 panda NGC PF 70 UC for $129.99 Jan 30, 2011
1990 1/4 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $750 Jan 29, 2011
1984 27 g silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1741 Jan 29, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #40 article, total: $5665

1988 1 oz platinum lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $5500 Jan 26, 2011
2001 D 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $165 Jan 25, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #39 article, total: $4254.23

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $299 Jan 25, 2011
1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $631.23 Jan 24, 2011
1990 1/2 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1198 Jan 24, 2011
1990 1/2 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1298 Jan 24, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $699 Jan 24, 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $120 Jan 23, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #38 article, total: $2183.44

2005 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $151 Jan 23, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $740.45 Jan 23, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $610 Jan 23, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary 1997 proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $94 Jan 23, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary 2005 proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $94 Jan 23, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary 2006 proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $112.50 Jan 23, 2011
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda PCGS MS 70 for $161.50 Jan 23, 2011
1992 15 g silver marco polo NGC PF 69 UC for $219.99 Jan 22, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #37 article, total: $4855

1992 15 g silver marco polo NGC PF 69 UC for $199 Jan 22, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $499 Jan 22, 2011
1994 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $900 Jan 22, 2011
1996 1 oz silver unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Jan 22, 2011
1994 1/4 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1598 Jan 21, 2011
1982 1/10 oz gold panda NGC MS 69 for $710 Jan 20, 2011
1988 1 oz silver proof dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $550 Jan 20, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #36 article, total: $8451.96

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $299 Jan 20, 2011
2002 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar horse for $976 Jan 19, 2011
2000 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dragon for $808.08 Jan 19, 2011
1993 1 oz silver fu lu shu NGC MS 69 for $263.88 Jan 19, 2011
1993 1/2 oz gold Mao Tse-Tung NGC PF 69 UC for $4800 Jan 19, 2011
1981 15 g silver lunar rooster NGC PF 69 UC for $1305 Jan 19, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #35 article, total: $399

1996 1 oz silver unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Jan 18, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #34 article, total: $11944.01

1988 1 oz platinum lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $5600.01 Jan 17, 2011
1990 1 oz platinum horse NGC PF 69 UC for $5145 Jan 17, 2011

1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $450 Jan 16, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $749 Jan 16, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #33 article, total: $7008.02

1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $771.04 Jan 16, 2011
1993 1/10 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1098 Jan 16, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set NGC PF 69 UC for $1095 Jan 15, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $745 Jan 15, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $255 Jan 14, 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $299.99 Jan 14, 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $599.99 Jan 14, 2011
2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC for $895 Jan 14, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $450 Jan 12, 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $799 Jan 11, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #32 article, total: $4741.88 (passed $100k in sold recommended investments)

1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $329 Jan 11, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $729 Jan 11, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $741 Jan 11, 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $765 Jan 11, 2011
1994 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $888.88 Jan 11, 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $404 Jan 11, 2011
1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $355 Jan 11, 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $275 Jan 11, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $255 Jan 11, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #31 article, total: $3701

2004 1/4 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC for $895 Jan 10, 2011
1993 5 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $2561 Jan 10, 2011
2008 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $150 Jan 10, 2011
1991 silver Albert Eintstein NGC PF 69 UC for $95 Jan 09, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #30 article, total: $299.99

1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $250 Jan 08, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary 2001-2002 panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $49.99 Jan 08, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #29 article, total: $4715.61

1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $450 Jan 08, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $299 Jan 08, 2011
1999 1/4 oz gold large date serif panda NGC MS 69 for $3049.99 Jan 08, 2011
2005 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $143.60 Jan 08, 2011
2008 1 oz silver proof panda NGC MS 70 for $161.50 Jan 08, 2011
2009 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $159.51 Jan 08, 2011
2009 1 oz silver proof panda NGC MS 70 for $139.95 Jan 08, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $250 Jan 07, 2011
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 69 for $62.06 Jan 07, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #28 article, total: $998

2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $700 Jan 07, 2011
1990 1/10 oz gold proof pandas PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $298 Jan 06, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #27 article, total: $18595

1989 8 g gold lunar snake NGC PF 69 UC for $800 Jan 06, 2011
1998 1 oz gold large date panda NGC MS 69 for $5500 Jan 06, 2011
2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC for $895 Jan 06, 2011
2008 5 oz gold panda NGC MS 70 for $11,400 Jan 06, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #26 article, total: $869.95

2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $700 Jan 04, 2011
2005 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $169.95 Jan 04, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #25 article, total: $823

1998 2/3 oz silver lunar scallop plum blossom flower tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $770 Jan 03, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 1989 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC for $53 Jan 02, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #24 article, total: $2408.11

2008 1 oz silver olympic kite flying NGC PF 70 UC for $88.01 Jan 02, 2011
2008 1 oz silver olympic goat jumping NGC PF 70 UC for $87.10 Jan 02, 2011
2008 1 oz silver olympic shuttlecock NGC PF 70 UC for $81 Jan 02, 2011
2008 1 oz silver olympic hoop rolling NGC PF 70 UC for $82.01 Jan 02, 2011
1996 1 oz silver small date panda NGC MS 69 for $99.99 Jan 01, 2011
1986 1/10 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $280 Jan 01, 2011
1986 1/4 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $540 Jan 01, 2011
1986 1/20 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $150 Dec 31, 2010
1986 1/2 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1000 Dec 31, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #23 article, total: $2178

1996 1 oz silver small date panda NGC MS 69 for $85 Dec 31, 2010
1996 1 oz silver large date panda NGC MS 69 for $85 Dec 31, 2010
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $449 Dec 31, 2010
1990 1/20 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $298 Dec 31, 2010
1989 1/4 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $598 Dec 31, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $95 Dec 31, 2010
1989 1/4 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $568 Dec 30, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #22 article, total: $600.11

2007 1/25 oz gold 2004 15 yuan proof panda NGC PF 70 UC for $119.99 Dec 30, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $103.38 Dec 30, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $103.76 Dec 30, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $100.88 Dec 30, 2010
2009 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $86.05 Dec 29, 2010
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 70 for $86.05 Dec 29, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #21 article, total: $3975.38

2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $101.88 Dec 29, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $108.50 Dec 29, 2010
1987 1/4 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $550 Dec 28, 2010
1994 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1188 Dec 28, 2010
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $799 Dec 28, 2010
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $888 Dec 28, 2010
2003 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $340 Dec 28, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #20 article, total: $4541.93

1990 1/2 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1298 Dec 28, 2010
2009 1 oz gold panda NGC MS 70 for $1850 Dec 28, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $108.38 Dec 28, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $106.50 Dec 28, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $104.05 Dec 28, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 X 10 for $1075 Dec 28, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #19 - Don't buy ungraded coins article, total: $2316.24

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $299 Dec 27, 2010
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $399.99 Dec 27, 2010
2005 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 70 UC for $1295 Dec 27, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $105.60 Dec 27, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $108.05 Dec 27, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $108.60 Dec 27, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #18 article, total: $1716.48

1984 27 g silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1613.88 Dec 26, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $102.60 Dec 26, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments - 2010-Dec-24 article, total: $2089.19 (passed $50k in sold recommended investments)

2010 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $275 Dec 24, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $105.60 Dec 25, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $108.60 Dec 25, 2010
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $799.99 Dec 24, 2010
2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC for $800 Dec 24, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments and commentary - 2010-Dec-23 article, total: $1901.60

1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $749 Dec 23, 2010
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $569 Dec 23, 2010
2010 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $275 Dec 23, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $103.60 Dec 23, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $102.50 Dec 23, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $102.50 Dec 23, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments - 2010-Dec-21 article, total: $6892.07

1985 27 g proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1619 Dec 22, 2010
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $199.99 Dec 22, 2010
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $268 Dec 22, 2010
1990 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $305.02 Dec 22, 2010
1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $300.02 Dec 22, 2010
1995 1 oz silver pig NGC PF 69 UC for $970 Dec 22, 2010
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $655 Dec 22, 2010
2006 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $61 Dec 22, 2010
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $280 Dec 22, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $102.50 Dec 22, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $105.54 Dec 22, 2010
1994 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $888 Dec 21, 2010
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $569 X 2 Dec 21, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments - 2010-Dec-20 article, total: $8762.24

1983 1 g gold Marco Polo NGC PF 69 UC for $402 Dec 20, 2010
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $569 X 2 Dec 20, 2010
1997 1/2 oz gold scallop plum blossom flower lunar ox PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $2988 Dec 20, 2010
1998 1/2 oz gold scallop plum blossom flower lunar tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $3551 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $66.89 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $97 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $109.50 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $119 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $123.50 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $126.30 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $41.05 Dec 20, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments - 2010-Dec-19 article, total: $16,422

1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 70 for $499.95 Dec 19, 2010
1988 1 oz silver dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $565.55 Dec 19, 2010
1988 8 g gold dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $1325 Dec 19, 2010
1989 1 oz gold snake NGC PF 69 UC for $4100 Dec 19, 2010
1989 8 g gold snake NGC PF 69 UC for $965 Dec 19, 2010
1998 1/2 oz gold small date panda NGC MS 69 for $6087 Dec 19, 2010
1999 1 oz gold small date panda for $2351.99 Dec 19, 2010
2001-D 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $160 Dec 19, 2010
2001-D 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $144.99 X 2 Dec 19, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $125 Dec 19, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $97.50  Dec 19, 2010

Coins sold from older articles, total: $14,463

2008 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $150 Dec 18, 2010 (LBC makes me rich)
2010 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $42.05 Dec 18, 2010
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary pandas NGC MS 69 X 10 for $510.95 Dec 16, 2010
1986 5 yuan soccer NGC PF 69 matte KM-140A for $3950 Dec 15, 2010
1987 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $800 Dec 12, 2010
1989 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $960 Dec 12, 2010
2000 1/2 oz gold scallop lunar dragon PCGS PF 69 DCAM for $5895 Dec 12, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $105 Dec 10, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $125 Dec 08, 2010 (LBC makes me rich)
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $125 Dec 08, 2010
1983 silver proof panda for $1800 Dec 06, 2010
« Last Edit: 2011 Mar 22, 10:57:05 pm by badon » Logged

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
CoinWorld13
Entrepreneur

« Reply #2 on: 2011 Mar 22, 09:37:57 pm »

um, did I go to the wrong place? How does a member get the new recommendations?
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #3 on: 2011 Mar 22, 11:02:16 pm »

You are in the right place. I have just moved the article out of the drafts forum, and into my blog forum where everyone can see it now. The new coins have "NEW" in bold black text next to their title. Let me know if you have any other questions, I love answering them Smiley

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
dobedo
Mogul

« Reply #4 on: 2011 Mar 23, 07:53:26 am »

Badon, I noticed that the refresh rate of your page 1 has slowly degraded over time, probably due to your increased number of dynamic links to e-Bay postings and the better quality of your attached pictures. I really like your imbedded pictures and links, but this longer wait for page 1 to display is beginning to bother me. Are there other ways to speed up the refresh rate of this page 1 (other pages with fewer added photos are quite acceptable) - like making some of the photos smaller, but with an option to blow them up (e.g., moving the cursor over the smaller photo/icon) by the interested reader?

What do your and other readers think or suggest?
r3globe
Mogul

« Reply #5 on: 2011 Mar 23, 08:26:39 am »

Badon, I noticed that the refresh rate of your page 1 has slowly degraded over time, probably due to your increased number of dynamic links to e-Bay postings and the better quality of your attached pictures. I really like your imbedded pictures and links, but this longer wait for page 1 to display is beginning to bother me. Are there other ways to speed up the refresh rate of this page 1 (other pages with fewer added photos are quite acceptable) - like making some of the photos smaller, but with an option to blow them up (e.g., moving the cursor over the smaller photo/icon) by the interested reader?

Yep, it takes a while. It would be nice to optimize it a bit. However, I do think all the information is relevant. I think this is the finest newsletter I have read so far.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #6 on: 2011 Mar 23, 09:10:43 am »

Yep, it takes a while. It would be nice to optimize it a bit. However, I do think all the information is relevant. I think this is the finest newsletter I have read so far.

Thanks so much for your compliments! This was a fun one to write, even if it took a bit more time than usual.

The only reliable way I can think of right now to make this load faster is to remove some of the info from it. I could try to break it up into other posts, like I tried with the sold coins list, but the forum won't make a new page until we get to 15 posts.

The real "problem" is that the supply of coins is very good right now, and I've been doing higher quality articles weekly, instead of lower quality articles daily. That means I put more coins into each article.

I'm investigating using some more advanced technology to get this article to load up in sections, instead of all at once. I think I can fix the slow images at the top of this article pretty easily, so I'll do that first. I'm sure there's an easy way to do this, so I'll see if I can get it fixed for you.

Thanks for letting me know about the problem.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
r3globe
Mogul

« Reply #7 on: 2011 Mar 23, 09:21:22 am »

Badon, how do you explain the disparity in pricing between the 1990 Gold Lunar Horse PCGS PF 69 being listed at $6999 and one selling for $1950 at the last auction?
DiggingNorway
Serious Business

« Reply #8 on: 2011 Mar 23, 09:36:01 am »

Badon, I am happy that you draw attention to these coins - I will be sending in around 30 silver coins for grading and conservation from the 80s and 90s, all bought in Europe. It will be exciting to see what grades they will achieve...

We do sell some MCC here:
http://goldsource.no/gullmynter-gold-source-premium-c-73_78_100.html
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #9 on: 2011 Mar 23, 09:43:49 am »

Badon, how do you explain the disparity in pricing between the 1990 Gold Lunar Horse PCGS PF 69 being listed at $6999 and one selling for $1950 at the last auction?

There's a buyer in China that is paying huge prices for horses. The horse coins of all types are being removed from the market, especially the high grades. That causes supply to dwindle to almost nothing from time to time, and the seller with the $7k horse is holding out for the highest possible prices on his coins.

I've stopped listing his coins because because the current good supply of coins has made them available cheaper. Back when he was the only seller in the world offering his rare coin types, he could ask whatever price he wanted, and he would get it too. When people see things selling for very high prices, they (sometimes) start selling a few of their extras, which temporarily eases the supply restriction - until those are gone too, of course.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: