Live Business Chat
2015 Sep 12, 05:11:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is a friendly non-profit discussion group about making money. Click the "NOTIFY" button every chance you get to receive instant alerts about new information. We don't like spam. If your first posts are about something you want from us, it is probably spam, and you will be banned in forums worldwide. No soliciting! If you have problems with the forum, contact badon in the business chat.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Chinese coin investments #52 - European scratches, 70's, medals  (Read 3622 times)
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« on: 2011 Feb 27, 03:27:19 pm »

Scroll WAY down to see the recommendations and skip the commentary!

WILD! The market is still in a bonanza condition, with prices rising steadily. Every now and then the supply seems to completely disappear, but then a seller shows up with fresh coins to keep us buyers pushing prices higher. Many sellers have recently withdrawn from selling on ebay due to the high fees and aggressive taxation by the USA, but it looks like most or all of them are coming back because that's where all the action is. Despite the high costs of doing business on ebay, that's the safest, easiest way for buyers to buy, and sellers are naturally drawn to where the buyers are. Plus, buyers can track price action for recent sales on ebay, so they know about what they should pay for a coin. Off of ebay, it's harder to make sure you're getting a decent deal.

As predicted, the best coins are starting to disappear. Many whole types of rare and not-so-rare coins are completely unavailable. The "common becomes rare" phenomenon is in effect, with coins that used to be abundant starting to become difficult to find. Coins in a 70 grade have made big gains lately. Some sellers haven't noticed the increased demand, and have been selling their 70 coins too cheaply. That's something to watch for if you're a bargain-hunter.

The same can be said of many other coins too, in any investment-quality grade. With prices rising, some sellers are being left behind, and they're practically giving their coins away at the older, lower prices. I have not been able to keep up with the speed of the market, especially for underpriced coins that sell within minutes of being listed. I have resorted to postings new items for my lists in the replies and comments at the bottom. The last article has nearly 200 replies!

Posting new stuff quickly that way has allowed readers of these articles to grab coins that they would probably have lost to someone else if I had waited until a whole new article was ready for publishing. I'm going to write these articles a bit less frequently during frantic times, and instead post updates in the comments, so be sure to check back often. You may want to click the "Notify" button at the top of the article so you can be notified when something new is posted.

70 coins are hot

It took a while for these to come to life, but they're starting to command huge premiums over their 69 grade counterparts. A "common" 2005  silver panda just sold for $300 in a 70 grade. Just 2 months ago, readers of these articles were buying those on my recommendation for around $150. Congratulations, again, to everyone that followed that recommendation. I stopped listing the coins for a while during the slowdown, but now that that's over (at least until spring or summer?) I've started to include a few more of them again.

They require the right kind of buyer to get a top price, and the market for them is one of the most immature in the area of modern Chinese coins, so I've been conservative in recommending them, especially for the common ones. I completely stopped recommending common gold coins in 70 grade because they won't go up in value as much as the cheaper silver coins will - it's much easier to find the right buyers for inexpensive silver coins than it is for gold coins that are expensive even without a 70 grade. However, rare gold does get recommended when it appears in a 70 grade, and so does cheap small-size gold. No matter what it is, if it's rare in a 70 grade, it'll probably get recommended unless I can come up with a good reason to ignore it.

Pricepedia, Unicorns, 1998 1 oz silver Beijing Expo panda

A new issue of the Pricepedia came out, with its usual coverage of pricing on pandas and lunars. It recently started covering unicorns and peacocks, which have been in these articles since the beginning. I've been pushing the unicorns a bit more lately because I have some information I haven't revealed yet that indicates they would be making a move soon.

The info I have is that dealers are buying up the coins. That's a sure sign that prices are about to rise, because they always do once the coins pass through the hands of a dealer. The dealers are so confident of their ability to sell unicorns profitably that they've been paying top-dollar for exporting the coins from China in order to get sufficient marketable quantities of them.

I started recommending the 1998 1 oz silver Beijing Expo panda once I got the vibe that their time was about to come. Now, they're in the Pricepedia, so if you don't have one yet, you better get one. They're rarer than many of the 1 oz silver proof pandas that I famously call $10,000 coins. On top of that, they carry the extremely popular 1998 date that benefits from the demand for the rarest 1998 panda coins - and they're accented in gold!

Many dealers have had pandas plated in gold unofficially because it enhances their popular appeal, and thus their price. Those coins are technically damaged, and although they were popular at the time of sale, their future is probably not very good. However, the 1998 Beijing Expo pandas are OFFICIAL, plated in gold by the mint, and have a future that's as good as gold - probably better! They're about to become one of the most popular of panda coins, and thus, one of the best investments you can make.

The Pricepedia reports some new information about the mintage of these coins, so if you're not a subscriber already, you better get yourself a copy of the most recent Pricepedia so you don't miss out on anything.

European scratches

Hairline scratches. They come from gentle friction against anything (everything). If you buy an ungraded coin from Europe, chances are someone has already damaged the coin. They're the oldest group of coin collectors in the world, and probably the birthplace of both coins and coin collecting. They envy the history of a coin, like any collector does, but they want to become a part of it too, and they end up literally leaving their mark on the coins. I call them European scratches.

In the 1970's, the American collectors figured out that handling coins damages them, even if you use gloves. European collectors are still in the Dark Ages, and have not yet come to appreciate the benefits of a coin holder for protecting and viewing coins safely. A coin can survive in pristine condition for 3000 years by being buried in the dirt - but it'll be destroyed within only 50 years once European collectors start trying to become part of its history by handling it.

Huge quantities of extremely rare Chinese coins have been damaged by European collectors. They almost always remove the coins from the protective holders so they can play with them. Sure, they'll say they use gloves, and they place them in a delicate felt tray, but the gloves and the felt only serve to leave "rug burn" scratches on the coins. As soon as the coin holder is opened, dust begins collectiing on the coin. If gloves and felt trays are used, they probably already have lots of dust on them. Much of the dust is finely ground stone that the wind has picked up from the Earth, and carried to the coins to act like abrasive sand paper in scratching the mirror surfaces of the coins.

Even big-shot European dealers with multi-million dollar inventories are like small children in the way they like to play with the coins that pass through their destructive hands. They will argue for hours about how handling them does not damage the coins, and they will insist that scratches on the mirror surfaces of a pristine proof coin do not matter. Most of them are not stupid, they just completely do not want to accept that handling coins damages them. You can't reason with them, they will insist on destroying the coins at every opportunity.

That's why I've decided to start calling handling damage "European scratches". Coins that were once considered rare are now almost impossible to find in pristine condition because of the abuse that unsophisticated Europeans have inflicted on the coins in their care. I realize these paragraphs are provocative, and that's exactly how I intend them to be received. Europe is like a giant grinding wheel destroying every pristine coin that passes through it.

Since Europeans bought many of the rare Chinese coins in the early days, if you want to buy those coins, you may have to get them from Europe. This is the most important reason why I recommend sticking with ONLY graded coins, because if you have to buy a damaged coin, at least you have an idea of just how badly it was abused during its stay in Europe.

Europeans rarely disclose damage to the coins they sell. It's usually not because they're trying to deceive you, it's simply because they're very unsophisticated in their evaluation of the quality of a coin. They come from a background of collecting ancient coins that are often unrecognizable, so to them, a damaged modern coin is in "perfect condition". More sophisticated American and Chinese collectors, especially ones that are used to being able to find the finest graded specimens from NGC and PCGS, are going to be sorely disappointed by the low quality of coins available in Europe.

Lots of collectors damage their coins. Dealers damage them by taking them out of their protective holders so they can photograph them for listing on Ebay. Unsophisticated buyers with an elitist attitude buy high-grade coins from NGC or PCGS, and then remove them from their protective holders so they can play with them. Most of those coins never make it back into a holder with the grade they had before they were sold to a collector who thinks HIS hands are too good to damage a piece of history forever.

The only reason I'm picking on Europeans here is because they are destroying more coins than anybody else. Even unsophisticated Chinese buyers who do not understand the difference between scraped up garbage, and a pristine, flawless specimen, still have the minimum good sense to value original packaging, however bad it may be. The original packaging is often so poor it is damaging to the coins too, but no matter how bad it is, it's not nearly as damaging to coins as European-style collecting is.

Buying graded coins is almost always the better choice, but if you have to buy ungraded, beware of European scratches, regardless of where they come from. Avoid buying coins that were removed from their protective packaging for such a silly reason as taking a picture of it. For all you know, the seller sneezed on it after the photo was taken. I guess we could call the results of that the Green Spots of Snot Smiley

Medals

Some of you may have noticed that I usually do not mention the face value of a coin, even when authoritative coin catalogs and the grading services organize coins by their face value. Instead, I list coins by their metal content. For example I'll mention a coin like this: "1998 1 oz silver panda", instead of like everyone else like this: "1998 10 yuan silver panda".

The reason is because the face value isn't important. In the West, especially America, face value is important because that's all that's considered "real" money. Silver and gold are precious metals, sure, but they're not thought of as MONEY anymore. China is different. They've had so many currencies come and go during the last 3000 years that the only thing they consider to be "real" money, always, are precious metals like gold and silver. That's why the mint didn't put a face value on the first 1982 gold panda. It wasn't until the next year, when Western buyers insisted on it, that the Chinese mint finally decided to put a face value on panda coins - but, those were meant for export...

The Chinese mint still persists in minting "medals" that have no face value. The West insists that a coin that has no face value is not "real" money, and therefore not a real "coin". I often ignore this distinction, even when it is used by the Chinese mint on the COA's, and you'll frequently hear me calling a "medal" a "coin".

These facts are important because medals are seriously underpriced right now. They should, and they will, move up to the same levels as their "coin" counterparts. Some have already exceeded that level, and have shown us that my point of view on this is probably the correct one. For example, no one shuns the 1982 gold pandas anymore, even though they don't have a face value. The rarest Munich Expo pandas have passed $30,000 at auction, even without a face value.

But, there's far more to the medals than just pandas...

I'm going to leave that vague for now, because I'm buying up plenty of them before they really start to move. However, I've been putting them in my lists all along without saying much about them. From now on, when you see them in my lists, buy them. They're about to take off.

My choices

My top choice is still the 2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary pandas. There are several inexpensive auctions going on right now that should give you an opportunity to grab a few cheaply. I've been asked by groovemachine, my ever so wise counselor, to dampen my enthusiasm for these coins because even though they have a low mintage, there's lots of them available, and it will take some time for collectors to remove them from the market before prices can be sustained at higher levels. Still, that's the best time to buy them, and I think these are something that everyone ought to consider, especially those with smaller budgets who wish to make a little more money to reinvest. Breaking up the sets and getting them graded so you can sell them individually should earn you a little extra profits, but don't rush it. Every investment takes time to mature. The similar mintage 1989 1 oz silver proof pandas are moving up, so I expect these to follow once the supply is sucked dry.

Next, I'd probably raid the small size coins from the list that are still affordable. Those are appearing much less frequently. There's several of many different types, with some of them being quite rare. They're becoming more popular as time goes by, and they're a fun way to collect. Many of the hottest proof gold pandas are already gone, but there's still a few very nice coins with similarly low mintages. There's a few small size proof gold pandas and unicorns in today's list. They're all excellent investments, but a few are underpriced relative to their rarity and popularity. Look at how low the mintages are!

Anything with a dragon and/or horse on them is hot too. There's the dragon & phoenix silver coin that looks VERY appealing, and it's probably the most sought-after coin in this list right now. Also, many other coins in the "other investment grade coins" category at the bottom are very exciting. There's too many to choose from, they're all getting very hot, and have enormous investment potential.

There's several lunar coins worth grabbing or at least putting a bid on them. They're becoming VERY popular, after getting mysteriously overlooked.

If you have questions about investing in any of these coins, please ask. If you find a coin that seems like it should be listed here, but isn't, please tell me about it. I frequently wait to list a coin here until I've had time to do the proper research on it that's needed for me to give you the basic facts on each coin. If you'd like to see info faster on a particular coin, I can make it a higher priority for you. I've noticed people don't like asking questions, because they don't want anyone else to know they're thinking of buying a particular coin. People don't want to talk about the coins they're interested in due to "coin snatchers" grabbing them. Competition for the investment-grade coins listed in these articles is fierce!

NCS and NGC refuse to help buyers find conserved coins for long term investment

I've talked a lot about NCS conservation of silver coins, especially the ones with the highest grades that were graded in the past. Coins that were not conserved before grading could degrade over time as invisible residues corrode their surfaces. That could make your investments virtually worthless!

There are nuances to which coins are worrisome, and which aren't, so I've recommended coins that look good despite not knowing whether they've been conserved or not. For example, an old silver coin that still looks good after many years is probably OK, and a newer panda that came from modern PVC-free packaging is probably OK too. But, the only way to know for sure is to only buy coins that have been conserved before grading.

Sadly, NCS and NGC continue to refuse to indicate on the holders if a coin has been conserved, even if requested. I have begged them to let me buy coins that I know will not become hunks of scrap metal over time, and they won't listen to me - just one person - but they will listen to the market as a whole. That means you. Everyone needs to contact NCS and tell them you want to buy coins that you know have been conserved. Tell them that you want to buy coins that NGC marks as conserved on their holders. Here's the person to contact:

Craig Fiumara
Numismatic Conservation Services
Operations Manager
Phone 866-627-2646  Ext. 145
Fax 941-360-2559
CraigF@NCScoin.com

Once we persuade them that we want to know that our coins are safe, they will obey our demands and start marking the conserved coins. Only then can we be reasonably certain (but never 100%) that our investments will not become worthless over time.

Recommended reading

Here's some recent articles of mine that can provide some guidance for investing in the current and coming market conditions:

* LBC makes me rich
* Wealth preservation: USA vs. China (By Zerosum)
* Coins are the hot new investment
* How high will the Chinese coin market go?
* 5 criteria to determine if a coin is a good investment
* 13 coin facts to learn for beginning investors of modern Chinese coins
* My First Chinese Panda Coin Purchase (By Tamo42)
* Modern Chinese coin investment strategy
* Don't be the "whale" that pays too much for an investment coin
* Modern Chinese coin commentary and market predictions - 2010-Dec-15
* What makes people buy up all the Chinese panda coins?
* Investing in rare modern Chinese coins, some questions answered
* Cash is king for 2011 - Get ready for the coming bargain hunt
* Foresight: Gold, silver, coins, etc will weaken after January or February 2011
* Rumor: Modern Chinese coin charts coming out soon
* Why does this business site talk so much about investments?
* The chess game of rich vs. poor

Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide Book

This is THE panda book, written by the world's foremost expert on Chinese panda coins. Buy the book before the coin. Enough said.

Pricepedia modern Chinese coin price guide with bonus using "LBC" referral code

$68.88 Buy-It-Now.

In addition to the book you can subscribe to the PricePedia, which gives up-to-date monthly pricing information on over 700 different coins, as well as a few pointers on what's hot or undervalued in the market. If you send a message to the author mentioning LBC for the referral code, you get a bonus list of undervalued coins, along with your subscription.

Be sure to read the market commentary at the bottom of the post that discusses the sales from the last article.

Perfect 70 coins

NEW 2003, 2005 1/2 oz palladium panda 2 coin set NGC PF 70 UC

$2888 auction starting price. Mintage 8000.

NEW 2005 1 kilo silver panda NGC PF 70 UC

$17,995 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. The 2004 that's been in the list lately has an auction starting price of $7000, so I don't think the price this seller is asking is reasonable. But, the door is open to make an offer, so I decided to list this coin because of that. Otherwise, the price is high enough that I would not have listed it. 70 coins require the right buyer. A patient seller can hold out for any price they want when they own the only known specimen in a 70 grade. If you have to have the best of the best, maybe consider putting out an offer around $7000.

NEW 2007 1/25 oz gold 2000 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC

$149.95 auction starting price. Mintage 18,000.

NEW 2007 1/25 oz gold 2004 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC

$159.99 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 18,000.

NEW 2008 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 70 UC

$500 auction starting price. Mintage 10,000. 33 out of 197 have a 70 grade, so about 1 in 6 earn a 70 grade. The auction starting price seems a bit cheap for being such a rare coin. This should be selling for over $1000 in 69 grade, but a 70 grade should go for a bit more.

2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 70

$350 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 300,000. Asking prices on this have doubled in in the last 2 months.

Proof pandas

All the early proof pandas are what I like to call $10,000 coins, because I firmly believe within the next decade, you will have to pay $10k+ to obtain one. coins here meet at least 4 of the 5 criteria to determine if a coin is a good investment. The only one they may not meet is the one about conservation, which is less important as long as the coin looks good despite its age, and not very important at all for gold, platinum, and palladium.

If any of the silver coins you buy have white spots when you receive them, you should probably return it for a refund. The white spots may be correctable through conservation, but that's the seller's problem, not yours.

Now that the issue of which silver proof panda coin is the rarest seems to have been settled, the 1994 and the 1996 have increased rapidly in value. However, it turns out that all three of the top coins - the 1994, 1995, and the 1996 - have similarly small actual mintages. There's no one coin that is dramatically rarer than any of the others. The information I have says that all of them have mintages of around 7000 to 8000 coins. So, buy them all up whenever you can, as your cash holdings allow.

NEW 1985 27 g silver panda NGC PF 69 UC

I can count on my fingers and toes how many times I see one of these in a year. The auction started at 99 cents, but by the time I'm posting this, it's already topped the $1000 level, and the auction is just getting started. WOW!

NEW 1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$650 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. Mintage 31,000.

NEW 1987 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1175 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. Mintage 11,000.

NEW 1989 1/20 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$525 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 8000. Remember just a few weeks ago when you could buy these for $200 to $300? Not so cheap anymore!

NEW 1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$279 Buy-It-Now.

1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$350 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$399 Buy-It-Now.

1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$439 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1992 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM

$988 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$450 Buy-It-Now.

1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$459 Buy-It-Now. Price increased from $449.

The official mintage for the 1992 coins is 20,000 but is probably lower, as is often the case for early coins. Prices have been steadily increasing, and this one has sold for $278 and $399 for a 69 specimen, and up to a whopping $738 for a damaged, ungraded coin. The $738 price was ridiculous, but it's a clue as to how crazy people get sometimes. The damage on the $738 coin is a torch sloppily engraved into it by a private coin dealer in Germany when the coin was first released. 3000 of them were damaged by the torch engraving, and word hasn't quite made it to all the collectors in China that the torch isn't supposed to be there. The Chinese dealers seem to be making good money by not telling them too!

So, we know that 3000 of these coins were damaged right when they were released, and I suspect that the Chinese dealers may be getting greedy, and they could be carving their own little torches into the surviving coins to try to score a $700+ price tag on a damaged coin. That means that, in addition to probably having a lower mintage than the official figures suggest, we already know that at least 3000 coins have been damaged. That makes this coin a good investment, because it doesn't cost more than coins that weren't damaged on a large scale.

I would grab this coin before word spreads that the little torch coins are actually damaged coins, and pristine coins are much rarer than people have thought. Only 109 have been graded a 69, which is about half as many as expected - but the coin does not cost twice as much! This coin is underpriced, and a good investment. Buy them when you find them.

Update:

There were some discussions that led to questions about why the 1992 proof panda is cheaper than coins that should have higher mintages. Aside from the obvious possibility that the other coins actually have much lower mintages, there's other plausible explanations as well (no one knows for certain yet, but I think these are good guesses):

One explanation for the unnaturally cheaper price on the 1992 1 oz silver proof pandas could be that a lot of people paid big bucks for the torch version. Once they had that, they erroneously felt they had the key coin for that date, and so did not buy the normal, unaltered 1992 coin.

On top of that, once they read our research on this forum, and learned that the torch coin is actually a damaged coin, they may have developed a reflexive dislike for the 1992 coins after having lost a lot of money on the altered torch coins.

It still remains possible that the 1992 1 oz silver proof panda is actually rarer than coins that are currently selling for more, and that would make it a good investment that justifies its inclusion in my list.

Either way, until the truth is known for sure, it would be a good idea to make sure to have at least one of them in your collection/portfolio (in investment-grade, without the torch!).

1993 1/4 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$4985 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 2500. This seller is always expensive, but he has coins that are rare and difficult to find. I chose to include this one because its mintage is so low, I think it's safe to overpay for it. The small size gold proof pandas with mintages under 5000 have been performing the best, but they've all been doing pretty well lately with mintages 5000 to 10,000.

NEW 1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$888.88 auction starting price.

NEW 1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1288 Buy-It-Now.

NEW 1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1050 Buy-It-Now.

1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$749 Buy-It-Now.

1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$999 Buy-It-Now.

2005 1 kilo silver panda NGC PF 69 UC

$4795 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 4000. Heavy coins get damaged easily, and 69 coins are difficult to find.

NEW 2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set

$299.95 auction starting price.

2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set

$1280 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 30,000.

2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set

$1280 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 30,000.

Search for 2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary pandas

As a policy, I don't list coins that are not graded and authenticated by NGC or PCGS. However, this deal is too good to pass up, so I'm making an exception for it. I've seen the 2007 1/4 proof pandas sell for as cheaply as around $15 lately, but they're as rare as the other pandas selling for hundreds of dollars. There are many original sets of all 25 of the 2007 proof panda coins available on ebay right now. The lowest priced ones are about $900, and the highest priced ones are about $1300. At the highest price, that translates to only about $52 per coin! Compare that to the 1989 1 oz silver proof panda that has a similar mintage, and sells for $199 in a 69 grade.

Granted, almost none of these are graded. You'll have to know what you're doing to buy these, but I think you should be able to double your money on them easily once word gets out that you can still buy proof silver pandas for about the same price as an ungraded 2010 non-proof panda. Think it over - 2010 boring panda with a mintage of 3 million for $50, or a 2007 proof panda with a mintage 30,000 for $50. Don't be a fool, buy them up before sellers realize what they've got.

But, if you get coins that have white spots on them, return them. Here's an example of a set of coins that have white spots on them:

DO NOT BUY THIS SET - 2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set - DO NOT BUY THIS SET

The seller is advertising them with the phrases "Great Look and Grade!" and "Each coin has also been graded at PF69 by NGC.". When I asked the seller about the problems his coins had, he said "They are NGC MS69" and only have a "minor imperfection". Clearly this seller is not willing to tell buyers the truth about the low quality of his coins. I don't normally go out of my way to shoot down someone's coins they're selling, but I've made an exception in this case because it's so important for my readers to see an example of what bad coins look like, even if they're graded.

Platinum and palladium pandas

1987 1 oz platinum panda NGC PF 69 UC

$5800 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 2000.

NEW 1990 1/10 oz platinum panda NGC PF 69 UC

$634 auction starting price. Mintage 4500.

1990 1 oz platinum panda NGC PF 69 UC

$10,750 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 1300. The last one sold at auction for close to the asking price for this coin. It's been getting talked about quite a lot. Platinum is getting popular, it seems.

BU pandas

NEW 2001 D 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69

$140 auction starting price.

NEW 2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69

$90 auction starting price.

2002 1/20 oz gold panda NGC MS 69

$222 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 400,000. Much fewer were probably actually minted, because the design was the same as the 2001 coins, which made them unpopular when they first came out. In addition, many were probably damaged or destroyed through usage in jewelry, since the beautiful design and small size made these coins perfect for that use when collector interest was weak. Only 23 of these coins received an investment-grade of 69 or 70, while the 1 oz size has 101 coins in a 69 or 70 grade. That could be because fewer of these were submitted for grading, or  because fewer of them have survived in good enough condition to be worth the cost of grading. I suspect both factors are involved.

2002 1 oz gold panda PCGS MS 69

$2250 Buy-It-Now. These have the same design as the 2001 pandas. Because of that, they weren't popular, and fewer were made, and many were lost. You should have one in your collection. The seller says the estimated surviving number of specimens is only around 5000.

Investment-grade 1/2 oz silver pandas

These are moving upwards, so I decided to include them again. The items in the list are from an automatically generated search, so they're not necessarily recommendations. You'll have to find and purchase coins yourself, but I'll be happy to answer questions about them. There's too many to list individually - the search thingy above that shows the items doesn't show everything, so click the link above it to see all items that the search can find for you.

Large date and small date pandas

Investment grade large date and small date pandas

Pricing information is very immature for panda varieties so here's a search, not necessarily a list of recommendations, that shows you what I might have put in this article if there were more information available. Pricing is erratic, with no one quite sure what a fair price should be, not even the sellers themselves. That usually means everything is selling too cheap. Good luck, and get them while you can.

Lunar coins

NEW 1981 8 g gold lunar rooster NGC PF 69 UC

$1888.88 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 5015.

NEW 1988 8 g gold lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC

$1850 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 7600.

1988 1 oz platinum dragon NGC PF 69 UC

$6598 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. Mintage 2000.

NEW 1993 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar rooster NGC PF 69 UC

$199 auction starting price. Mintage 6800.

NEW 1998 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar tiger NGC PF 69 UC

$788.88 auction starting price. Mintage 6800. This is harder to get in Ultra Cameo than the other coins for some reason, but here's one that's finally come available.

1999 1/2 oz gold lunar scallop plum blossom flower rabbit PCGS PR 69 DCAM

This coin is too expensive at $4300 - but it's the only one available. I posted about others that were available for half as much just a few days ago, but they're gone, so $4300 is your new price for those who weren't the lucky buyers of those other recommendations. This coin has a mintage of only 2300 coins, so I have no doubt you'll be able to sell it for $10k+ within a few years or sooner, though I do not recommend planning on selling it at that price because it could go FAR higher. You "overpay" now for a good coin just to get it, and then make your profits later. It's frustrating this price is so dramatically higher than the last coins that sold, but you won't get good coins if you don't pay what you have to pay to get them.

In short, is $4300 an unfair price to pay for a coin that was selling for around $2500 to $3000 only one week ago? No, it is not unfair at all. Expensive, yes, but if you have the cash, buy this coin. It will only cost you more later.

Other investment grade coins

1979 1/2 oz silver matte year of the child NGC MS 69

This is a great coin being offered at a fair price. Cheapskates keep offering low-ball prices, but this coin is worth every penny of the $15,000 asking price. The last coins sold for increasingly high values of $7000 to almost $10,000 recently, and none of them were graded. This coin has a high 69 grade, a low mintage, and is extremely popular. Don't be a cheapskate, pay the full asking price and grab it before someone else does. It is worth it.

NEW 1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69

This is on auction, so you may have a chance to get it for a bargain price. Mintage 50,000 to 90,000 (sources vary). These are starting to take off in price and popularity as dealers buy them up and market them to buyers. I used to be able to buy these for around $20 raw, now they're closer to $50 and rising fast. Investment-grade specimens are hard to find, and should command a significant premium over the ordinary raw prices. You used to be able to get these in a 69 grade for $100 to $150. I will be surprised if this one sells that cheaply on auction. The 70 graded specimens dropped from $500 to $385, which I think was a huge bargain. These are still plentiful for now, but they're getting bought up so fast, within a few months (maybe less), they will be gone and prices will make bigger moves upwards.

Question:

"What's the significance of 1986 CHINA S5Y SHIP EMPRESS OF CHINA (22.2g, not 24g as advertised) at $100 to 150? Its mintage is 75,000 so it's not that rare. Is there a cultural significance to it or what?"

Answer:

A few things are confusing about this coin: The weight, the mintage, the quality of the mintage, and the surviving population.

The COA for the coin says it's 26.6 grams, for example, while other sources claim a variety of other weights. I haven't actually weighed any of them yet though.  The information you have about the mintage and weight comes from the Krause catalog, which is known to have numerous errors that the authors are too lazy to fix, for decades at a time, from edition to edition, including simple spelling errors that spellcheck could fix instantly.

Mintage figures I've seen range from around 50,000 to 90,000. Regardless of what the actual mintage is, it's still arguably quite low. I have long suspected that these are rarer than people think they are, especially in high grades.

However, those are all just details that all take a backseat to popularity. The coin is not popular yet, but I think it has merely been overlooked because it wasn't intended for the Chinese market - the ship on the coin is American. The ship theme of the coin is what will make it popular, once it gets noticed.

There are a lot of oddball coins that don't fit in any specific category very well, because they weren't part of any sort of series. Having a recognizable theme makes it possible for an oddball coin to fit into a set, and become popular for the set. For example, China's maritime set was minted for only one year, with a very low mintage. It has become popular due to its low price relative to its rarity, and that popularity has spread to other coins with a ship theme. Some collectors consider dragon boats, and other ship coins to be part of their maritime set.

The quantity of coins that are almost always available for the 1986 coin leads me to believe that the mintage probably isn't terribly low. I think the rarity lies in grade rarity, since the coins are so frequently in poor condition, due to the lack of respect they received for seeming to not be rare.

If we go with the highest mintage estimate I can think of off the top of my head, at 90,000, then I would consider it to be a low mintage coin. I am speculating on this coin, since so little is known for certain about it, with much conflicting information.

I would not be an aggressive buyer of these coins, due to the uncertainties, but I would take bargains from time to time when they come available. The asking price for the coin I listed is $168, but I would put in an offer of $100, and see if the seller will take that. If not, I might wait a while to see if anything else turns up, and then possibly try another offer.

Either way, I think this coin is a $200+ coin in the near future, due it's under 100,000 mintage. It is included in my list specifically for people who cannot afford rarer coins, but still want something better than a $70 panda with a mintage of 300,000 to 600,000.

1988 1 oz gold san francisco expo dragon medal NGC PF 69 UC

$3999 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. Mintage 1500. This is a gorgeous medal with a low mintage and one of the most beautiful dragon designs made. I think the price is a bit high on this coin/medal but it deserves a mention here, since they could take off at any time. The most important thing about this coin that earns it a spot on my list is that it's a 69. Only half of them graded so far have been able to get a 69 (14 out of 28 total). They were frequently mishandled, and good quality, hand-selected specimens rarely earn an investment-quality grade. None have earned a 70. Oh, and it has the Chinese lucky number 8 twice in the date, which increases its desirability.

NEW 1989 22 g silver proof saving children fund panda NGC PF 69 UC

$99 auction starting price. Mintage 25,000. This is a very popular coin because it has both children, and a panda. The mintage is the same as the 1989 1 oz silver proof panda, but even though it's not part of the normal panda series, it often sells for as much or more than if it were. This is the first investment-grade specimen I have seen since I began watching for the a few months ago. The non-proof "BU" version has the same mintage, and sells for similarly high prices, but I haven't seen a graded one yet. By the way, I'm comparing the high prices of these coin UNGRADED to the prices of the 1989 1 oz silver proof panda in a 69 grade. I will not be surprised if this sells for substantially more than the equivalent normal panda. I give it an estimated price of $250 to $600, but I think it'll sell for somewhere closer to $350 to $450. It's very exciting to finally see one of these in an investment-grade.

NEW 1990 1 oz silver proof dragon & phoenix NGC PF 69 UC

$199 auction starting price. Mintage 12000. The dragon & phoenix series of coins are the most popular Chinese coins - even more than the pandas. They're not the rarest, but popularity is what makes them among the most expensive and hard to find.

NEW 1992 15 g invention & discovery ancient Chinese coins NGC PF 69 UC

$99 auction starting price. Mintage 20,000. This is the only graded specimen. They've been ignored for a long time, but they're taking off in popularity now.

NEW 1993 1 oz silver proof ancient paintings peacock NGC PF 69 UC

$1450 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 7000. What a price on this coin! Is it "overpriced"? Yes. Is it worth it? Definitely. These are among the most popular modern Chinese coins, and they're hard to find due to their low mintage. Investment grade coins are being held tight by people who know the coin is only going to get more valuable the longer they hold it - so if you want to buy one, you have to pay a big price to get it.

NEW 1998 1 oz silver beijing expo panda NGC MS 69

$399 Buy-It-Now. Mentioned in the Pricepedia modern Chinese coin price guide (subscribe using "LBC" referral code for a bonus) recently, and appearing in this list for some time now, this is at least as rare as the "holy grail" 1998 large date panda, but probably rarer. NGC statistics show only 42 of these in a 69 grade, versus 61 for the 1998 large date. It has been overlooked until now, and its recent inclusion in the pricepedia means subscribers have had a head start in buying these up from the market. They're probably the most beautiful of the silver pandas due to the gold accents it has, which really amp up the popularity factor that leads to strong price gains. From an investor perspective.

2004, 2005, 2006 1 oz silver beijing coin expo panda medal 3 coin set NGC PF 69 UC

$850 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 30,000. These are highlighted with gold plating for the expos at China's capital city of Beijing, and are likely to be popular, and thus a good investment. I think they're underpriced right now due to the popularity factor. They're rare, but not rare compared to their price, which makes them seem expensive.

Helpful searches

These are helpful searches for coins, not necessarily a list of recommendations, like the other items in this article. If you didn't see anything you like above, you may find coins on your own here that I have ignored or overlooked. I've included an ebay search widget to show you a sample of search results, when possible (they don't always work, so I leave them out).

I'm not going to be able to keep track of when stuff in these searches sell, so you'll have to let me know if you invest in something from these automated searches, so I can include it in the list of other coins that have sold. It would also be appreciated if you posted your coins in the LBC makes me rich thread. Thank you very much!

Search for Chinese coins in 69 grade

Search for Chinese coins in 70 grade

Search for all Chinese coins

Search for proof pandas

Search for panda coins of all types

The items above are not necessarily a list of recommendations. In an effort to help out our small business members, any ebay seller listing that links to any page at www.livebusinesschat.com will show up in the list above (only a few at a time, sorted by time remaining). The name "Live Business Chat" must be somewhere in the auction, preferably as part of the displayed link. To make it easy, just put the following line anywhere in your ebay listing:

<a href="http://www.livebusinesschat.com/">Live Business Chat</a>

You can use that same line to link to us from any other website, also.

Sold recommendations

Total recommendations sold: $263,822.36

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #51 article, total: $55,579.50 (surpassed $250,000 in coins sold from these lists)

Buying is the most aggressive I've seen in a long time. I've seen many, many listings that have both a higher Buy-It-Now price and a lower auction starting price. During normal market conditions, the Buy-It-Now price is above the market value, and the auction starting price is right at the market value. Buyers normally will place a bid at the auction starting price, and the coin will sell with just one bid.

Now I'm seeing buyers just grabbing the coins at the Buy-It-Now price to eliminate the possibility that someone else might bid the coin up higher. The shocking thing is that sometimes the difference between the Buy-It-Now price and the auction starting price is several hundred dollars! That's like saying "I'm going to pay an extra $500 just to make sure no one can outbid me for this coin". Amazing.

These Buy-It-Now prices that people are paying are not cheap either. Some coins are being listed at old prices because the sellers aren't aware prices have increased. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about rare, desirable investment-grade coins in this list here that have had their prices adjusted upwards, and are still getting grabbed at whatever price will get the coin locked in for the buyer.

For example, it happened on the 1997 three kingdoms coin that sold for $3500. The auction starting price was a few hundred dollars cheaper at $3150, but the buyer decided it was worth $3500 to beat everyone else in obtaining that coin, instead of gambling for a cheaper price. That's some seriously aggressive buying, by a whole lot of people with plenty of money, who are trying to cut short any possible bidding war.

I've noticed that when one coin is listed for a Buy-It-Now of $529, and another is listed at auction for a much lower price, the coin that's on a Buy-It-Now will go unsold, while the auction price will get pushed up to even MORE than the Buy-It-Now coin. That's what happened with a pair of 1992 1 oz silver proof pandas in the last article. One coin just sat there for the bargain Buy-It-Now price of $529, while the coin on auction got pushed up to $540. Even after the auction was over, the cheaper $529 coin still went unnoticed, even by the second highest bidder who was willing to pay $530 for the auction coin. This is a well-known phenomenon in auctions. If the starting price for a coin is too low, it will draw much more attention than a coin that's fairly priced. As strong as the market is right now, if you sell, you want to sell at auction.

The 1994 1 oz silver proof panda set a new record at $1250, which I believe to be the highest price ever paid for a 1 oz silver proof panda from the 1989 to 1996 series. I call these $10,000 pandas, which left people quite skeptical at first. There's still many people who find it hard to believe that these pandas will cost you $10k in the next decade, but  we're already well on our way to $2000 - a price that seemed silly a few months ago when you could have bought one of them for around $300!

No lie, I feel the pain, because I sold one of mine near that price level - but I got a good coin in return for it, so I guess it's OK...I still miss my 1994, and watching it triple in price leaves me wonder if maybe I should figure out another way to fund coin purchase that doesn't involve selling coins. I make more money just looking at them than I do by selling them...that's why the market can dry up so fast - sellers stop selling when they make more money by keeping the coins!

The 2007 25th anniversary pandas are performing well, and holding gains. They're not as plentiful as they used to be, and whenever they appear for sale, they're selling for strong prices. The prices aren't steady yet though, so it's tough to predict what they'll sell for. As the supply gets mopped up, you'll continue to see gradual price gains, with bargains appearing from time to time until they're gone.

The rare gold and silver unicorns have been on fire, with record prices on each one sold.

This has been an exciting week for all coins.

1994 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1250 Feb 27, 2011
1998 1 oz silver "reduced size" lunar tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $610 Feb 27, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $810 Feb 27, 2011
1986 gold proof panda 5 coin set NGC PF 69 UC for $4950 Feb 26, 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $988 Feb 26, 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1025 Feb 26, 2011
2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC for $932.22 Feb 26, 2011
1995 1/10 oz gold proof unicorn PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1680 Feb 25, 2011
1997 5 oz silver three kindgoms NGC PF 69 UC for $3500 Feb 25, 2011
1988 5 oz gold panda NGC PF 69 UC for $12888 Feb 24, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $275 Feb 24, 2011
1994 1 oz silver lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $585 Feb 24, 2011
2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $132.49 Feb 24, 2011
2005 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $300 Feb 24, 2011
1991 15 g silver lunar goat NGC PF 69 UC for $350 Feb 23, 2011
2001 D 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $170 Feb 23, 2011
2008, 2009, 2009 1 oz silver panda 3 coin lot NGC MS 70 for $350 Feb 23, 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 70 for $385 Feb 22, 2011
2000 1/20 oz gold frosted panda NGC MS 69 for $200 Feb 22, 2011
2005 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $3800 Feb 22, 2011
2007 1/25 oz gold 2004 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC for $139.99 Feb 22, 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 70 for $385 Feb 20, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $275.95 Feb 20, 2011
1989 1 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $2355 Feb 20, 2011
1993 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar rooster NGC PF 69 UC for $760 Feb 20, 2011
1995 15 g silver fu lu shu NGC PF 69 UC for $425 Feb 20, 2011
2001 D 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $150 Feb 20, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 2004 25th anniversary panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $82 Feb 20, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $807 Feb 20, 2011
2008 1 oz silver olympic kite flying NGC PF 70 UC for $199.95 Feb 20, 2011
1986 gold proof panda 5 coin set NGC PF 69 UC for $6500 Feb 19, 2011
1989 1 oz silver New York expo panda horse medal NGC PF 69 UC for $688.88 Feb 19, 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $329 Feb 19, 2011
1991 bimetallic 25 yuan coin and hong kong expo medal 2 coin set NGC PF 69 UC for $4450 Feb 19, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $540 Feb 19, 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $1020 Feb 19, 2011
1995 1 oz silver kuan yin NGC MS 69 for $266 Feb 19, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $1025.02 Feb 19, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #50 article, total: $23,701.35 (surpassed $200,000 in coins sold from these lists)

Just look at how many coins sold! WOW! This is the most aggressive buying action from these lists since I began doing them a few months ago. The market is no longer in a slowdown. It's officially HOT!

The best bargain that got snagged was the 1986 1/20 oz gold proof panda. It sold for only $164.50! That's roughly 1/10th of what I think that coin SHOULD be selling for in the near future. Other dates have been selling for around $250 to $500 right now, so no matter how you look at it, the coin sold cheap. It has a mintage of only 10,000 with many of them destroyed through usage in Jewerly. A silver proof panda with a similar mintage in high grade would sell for around $700 to $1800, depending on the year. Whoever bought that coin made a very good investment.

Also interesting is the aggressive buying action on the 1996 1 oz silver proof unicorns. Full asking prices are being paid, and new records are being set. 3 of them sold for over $450, when they were selling for only around $280 just a few weeks ago. WOW!

The 1 oz silver lunar coins are very hot too. It looks like it's going to be hard to get them under $400 from now on.

The 1988 1 oz gold Hong Kong Expo medal sold $8600, which was a bit more than my maximum "bargain" estimate of $8000. In general, coins are starting to exceed my price estimates, instead of falling short as they were during the slowdown. These are exciting times again.

1991 1/4 oz gold proof pandas NGC PF 69 UC for $1100 Feb 19, 2011
1989 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1000 Feb 19, 2011
1986 1/20 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $165.50 Feb 18, 2011
1988 1 oz gold hong kong expo panda dragon medal NGC PF 69 UC for $8600 Feb 18, 2011
1988 1 oz platinum lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $6200 Feb 18, 2011
1988 1 oz silver dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $770 Feb 18, 2011
1992 1 oz silver lunar monkey NGC PF 69 UC for $365 Feb 18, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 18, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $454.95 X 3 Feb 18, 2011
1996 1 oz silver piedfort kuan yin NGC PF 69 UC for $650 Feb 18, 2011
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $270 Feb 18, 2011
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $270 Feb 18, 2011
1994 1/4 oz gold proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $1500 Feb 17, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 17, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 17, 2011 (LBC makes me rich)
2004 1 oz silver beijing expo panda NGC MS 69 for $249 Feb 17, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #49 article, total: $9304

Once again, 1989 coins are being bought very aggressively. The prices for the 1989 1 oz silver proof panda are quickly moving back up to the peak offering price of $299, with the highest sale at $275. That's some very unusual strong buying we're seeing. I don't have an explanation for it either. I suspect the coin is seen as a bargain, due to its low price compared to the other proof pandas. It is an attractive first investment to make, on a coin that can't be called overpriced due to massive gains yet, unlike some of the others that earlier had doubled or tripled in just a few months.

Small size gold proof pandas are extremely hot right now. Record prices all around, on rarely seen and hard to find investment-grade coins. Compared to their full-size counterparts, they're more affordable, and very attractive investments due to the larger number of people who can afford to drive the prices upward on them.

The 2000 scallop dragon was a coin that I had overlooked (on purpose or by accident, I wont say, hehe). I was surprised to see them both sell very quickly after they were brought to everyone's attention by FanOfBadon in the comments on my last article. They're the key coin for the silver scallop series, and although I think the nearly $1000 price is high, it's nothing compared to where it'll be in the future. With a mintage of only 6800, and increasing popularity, it's likely they'll end up being $10,000 coins along with the many other comparatively inexpensive coins that are included in my list when they come available.

1994 1/4 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 UC for $1598 Feb 16, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $250 Feb 15, 2011
1990 1/2 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1275 Feb 15, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 15, 2011 (LBC makes me rich private sale)
1993 1/2 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $3250 Feb 15, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $275 Feb 14, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $259 Feb 14, 2011
2000 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dragon PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $999 X 2 Feb 14, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #48 article, total: $7972.79

Somebody got a great bargain on the 2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC. It went for only $63.01, when my estimate was $180. I've been told my enthusiasm for these coins is a bit too emphatic, and that may be the case, but even those who are telling me that agree that $63 for one of these was a bargain price. I would have bought it myself, but I was busy writing this article, and didn't notice it going WAY too cheaply!

The lunar coins did very well, especially the 1989 1 oz gold snake. It has a mintage of 3000, and sold for over $4000! There are several coins in this list right now with mintages lower than that, and many cost a small fraction of that price. That's a clue about where prices are going on the underpriced coins. Notice the difference that a little extra rarity and popularity can make - 8 g gold snake from the same year has a little more than double the mintage, so you would intuitively guess that it'd sell for half the price, right? Well, it sold for about 1/5 the price. A little rarity and a lot of popularity goes a LONG way.

1988 8 g gold lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $1075 Feb 13, 2011
1989 8 g gold lunar snake NGC PF 69 UC for $750 Feb 13, 2011
1989 1 oz gold lunar snake NGC PF 69 UC for $4055.56 Feb 13, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 2004 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC for $63.01 Feb 13, 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $899 Feb 11, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $822.22 Feb 11, 2011
2002 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $86 Feb 10, 2011
1995 1/20 oz gold small date panda NGC MS 69 for $222 Feb 10, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #47 article, total: $1123

1990, 1991, and 1992 coins are the sold items of the day. Funny how that comes right after the hoard of 1989 coins that were bought up just prior. Probably a temporary anomaly, but I don't think so. Overall, not an exciting set of sales, but the worldwide markets were slower today after a temporary rally in the U.S. Dollar. That really is only temporary. Prices have been increasing noticeably, and fewer coins are being listed. I'm hearing reports of sellers delisting their coins, or claiming to have "lost" it after someone purchases it. A few good coins have been getting listed though, but at higher prices.

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $309 Feb 09, 2011
1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Feb 09, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $415 Feb 09, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #46 article, total: $5604

What's up with the 1989 coins? For whatever reason, all the hottest coins are dated 1989. 1989 1 oz silver proof pandas continue to be bought up aggressively, with the cheaper coins disappearing quickly. Anything $299 and under has been getting bought up. The American expo medals are also still selling well, especially the 1989 1 oz silver with a mintage of only 4000.

1999 1 oz gold large date panda NGC MS 70 for $4550 Feb 08, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 DCAM for $255 Feb 08, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $299 Feb 07, 2011
1989 1 oz silver New York expo panda horse medal NGC PF 69 UC for $500 Feb 07, 2011 (private sale, LBC makes me rich)

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #45 article, total: $4296.99

Sales are strong again, with many proof silver pandas being bought aggressively. Small size coins are selling quickly, or being removed from sale offerings, sometimes before the article gets published. Proof silver pandas were the star of the show, by far, but the other coins that sold went for very strong prices, especially coins with dragons and horses on them. 1989 1 oz silver proof pandas were on fire for some reason. Prices hit the $299 level, which I think is a new record for that coin. If not a new record, then at least it's back up to where it was before the slowdown started. Very impressive performance overall.

1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $279 Feb 05, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $718.88 Feb 05, 2011
2007 1/25 oz gold 25th anniversary 2004 panda NGC PF 70 UC for $129.99 Feb 05, 2011
1988 1 oz silver piedfort lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $688 Feb 04, 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $309 Feb 04, 2011
1989 1/4 oz gold new york expo panda horse medal NGC PF 69 UC for $873 Feb 04, 2011 (LBC makes me rich)
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $260 Feb 04, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $299 Feb 04, 2011
1990 1 g gold proof dragon & phoenix NGC PF 69 UC for $400 Feb 03, 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $340.12 Feb 03, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #44 article, total: $2686.72

Sales were strong for this article. Prices are still reduced from their recent peak, but they're climbing upward again. The star of the show was the 1988 1 oz gold san francisco expo dragon medal that sold for $3250. That's a nice price for a medal, and evidence that my article detailing why medals matter was correct.

1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $405 Feb 03, 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $227.62 Feb 03, 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $340.12 Feb 03, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $680 Feb 03, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $330.98 Feb 03, 2011
1988 1 oz gold san francisco expo dragon medal NGC PF 69 UC for $3250 Feb 02, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #43 article, total: $928.99

1990 1/10 oz platinum proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $699 Feb 02, 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $100 Feb 02, 2011
2007 1/25 oz gold 25th anniversary 2004 panda NGC PF 70 UC for $129.99 Feb 01, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #42 article, total: $2241.59

The 1990 dragon & phoenix coin achieved strong price that I believe is a new record. The coin was previously not considered rare, but now it is, and it earned almost $400! The 1997 unicorn was listed with a Buy-It-Now price of only $115, but greedy buyers decided to try to bid on it instead at its auction starting price of $99 to shave a few dollars off the price. In the end, they just had to pay more, as the coin almost reached $125 in auction. Pay the asking price, and get the coin! Don't be a cheapskate. The historical figures Beethoven coin was a disappointment at only $80. I think it is easily worth $100+, but The Market has spoken...I consider it a bargain. The 1986 empress of China coin sold at auction for almost $90, which I think is an excellent price, and shows some solid strength in the demand for that coin. Prices have been increasing for both raw and graded coins, with 69 and 70 graded coins selling for very profitable prices from a dealer perspective, and motivating them to submit more of them for grading. The 70 coins are the real stunners to watch for though, with MASSIVE premiums over the price of a 69.

1990 1 oz silver dragon & phoenix NGC PF 69 UC for $395 Feb 01, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $777.77 Jan 31, 2011 (LBC makes me rich)
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $275 Jan 31, 2011
2002 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $99 Jan 31, 2011
1997 1 oz silver unicorn NGC MS 69 for $124.49 Jan 31, 2011
1990 1 oz silver world historical figures Beethoven NGC PF 69 UC for $80 Jan 31, 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $89.88 Jan 31, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $399.95 Jan 30, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #41 article, total: $2620.99 (surpassed $150,000 in coins sold from these lists)

2007 1/25 oz gold 25th anniversary 2004 panda NGC PF 70 UC for $129.99 Jan 30, 2011
1990 1/4 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $750 Jan 29, 2011
1984 27 g silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1741 Jan 29, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #40 article, total: $5665

1988 1 oz platinum lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $5500 Jan 26, 2011
2001 D 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $165 Jan 25, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #39 article, total: $4254.23

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $299 Jan 25, 2011
1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $631.23 Jan 24, 2011
1990 1/2 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1198 Jan 24, 2011
1990 1/2 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1298 Jan 24, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $699 Jan 24, 2011
1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 69 for $120 Jan 23, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #38 article, total: $2183.44

2005 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $151 Jan 23, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $740.45 Jan 23, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $610 Jan 23, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary 1997 proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $94 Jan 23, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary 2005 proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $94 Jan 23, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 25th anniversary 2006 proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $112.50 Jan 23, 2011
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda PCGS MS 70 for $161.50 Jan 23, 2011
1992 15 g silver marco polo NGC PF 69 UC for $219.99 Jan 22, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #37 article, total: $4855

1992 15 g silver marco polo NGC PF 69 UC for $199 Jan 22, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $499 Jan 22, 2011
1994 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $900 Jan 22, 2011
1996 1 oz silver unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Jan 22, 2011
1994 1/4 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1598 Jan 21, 2011
1982 1/10 oz gold panda NGC MS 69 for $710 Jan 20, 2011
1988 1 oz silver proof dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $550 Jan 20, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #36 article, total: $8451.96

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $299 Jan 20, 2011
2002 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar horse for $976 Jan 19, 2011
2000 2/3 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dragon for $808.08 Jan 19, 2011
1993 1 oz silver fu lu shu NGC MS 69 for $263.88 Jan 19, 2011
1993 1/2 oz gold Mao Tse-Tung NGC PF 69 UC for $4800 Jan 19, 2011
1981 15 g silver lunar rooster NGC PF 69 UC for $1305 Jan 19, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #35 article, total: $399

1996 1 oz silver unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $399 Jan 18, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #34 article, total: $11944.01

1988 1 oz platinum lunar dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $5600.01 Jan 17, 2011
1990 1 oz platinum horse NGC PF 69 UC for $5145 Jan 17, 2011

1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $450 Jan 16, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $749 Jan 16, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #33 article, total: $7008.02

1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $771.04 Jan 16, 2011
1993 1/10 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1098 Jan 16, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set NGC PF 69 UC for $1095 Jan 15, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $745 Jan 15, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $255 Jan 14, 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $299.99 Jan 14, 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $599.99 Jan 14, 2011
2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC for $895 Jan 14, 2011
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $450 Jan 12, 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $799 Jan 11, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #32 article, total: $4741.88 (passed $100k in sold recommended investments)

1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $329 Jan 11, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $729 Jan 11, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $741 Jan 11, 2011
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $765 Jan 11, 2011
1994 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $888.88 Jan 11, 2011
1993 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $404 Jan 11, 2011
1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $355 Jan 11, 2011
1990 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $275 Jan 11, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $255 Jan 11, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #31 article, total: $3701

2004 1/4 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC for $895 Jan 10, 2011
1993 5 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $2561 Jan 10, 2011
2008 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $150 Jan 10, 2011
1991 silver Albert Eintstein NGC PF 69 UC for $95 Jan 09, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #30 article, total: $299.99

1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $250 Jan 08, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary 2001-2002 panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $49.99 Jan 08, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #29 article, total: $4715.61

1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $450 Jan 08, 2011
1996 1 oz silver proof unicorn NGC PF 69 UC for $299 Jan 08, 2011
1999 1/4 oz gold large date serif panda NGC MS 69 for $3049.99 Jan 08, 2011
2005 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $143.60 Jan 08, 2011
2008 1 oz silver proof panda NGC MS 70 for $161.50 Jan 08, 2011
2009 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $159.51 Jan 08, 2011
2009 1 oz silver proof panda NGC MS 70 for $139.95 Jan 08, 2011
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $250 Jan 07, 2011
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 69 for $62.06 Jan 07, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #28 article, total: $998

2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $700 Jan 07, 2011
1990 1/10 oz gold proof pandas PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $298 Jan 06, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #27 article, total: $18595

1989 8 g gold lunar snake NGC PF 69 UC for $800 Jan 06, 2011
1998 1 oz gold large date panda NGC MS 69 for $5500 Jan 06, 2011
2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC for $895 Jan 06, 2011
2008 5 oz gold panda NGC MS 70 for $11,400 Jan 06, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #26 article, total: $869.95

2007 1/4 oz silver proof 25th anniversary panda 25 coin set for $700 Jan 04, 2011
2005 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $169.95 Jan 04, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #25 article, total: $823

1998 2/3 oz silver lunar scallop plum blossom flower tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $770 Jan 03, 2011
2007 1/4 oz silver 1989 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC for $53 Jan 02, 2011

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #24 article, total: $2408.11

2008 1 oz silver olympic kite flying NGC PF 70 UC for $88.01 Jan 02, 2011
2008 1 oz silver olympic goat jumping NGC PF 70 UC for $87.10 Jan 02, 2011
2008 1 oz silver olympic shuttlecock NGC PF 70 UC for $81 Jan 02, 2011
2008 1 oz silver olympic hoop rolling NGC PF 70 UC for $82.01 Jan 02, 2011
1996 1 oz silver small date panda NGC MS 69 for $99.99 Jan 01, 2011
1986 1/10 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $280 Jan 01, 2011
1986 1/4 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $540 Jan 01, 2011
1986 1/20 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $150 Dec 31, 2010
1986 1/2 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1000 Dec 31, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #23 article, total: $2178

1996 1 oz silver small date panda NGC MS 69 for $85 Dec 31, 2010
1996 1 oz silver large date panda NGC MS 69 for $85 Dec 31, 2010
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $449 Dec 31, 2010
1990 1/20 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $298 Dec 31, 2010
1989 1/4 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $598 Dec 31, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $95 Dec 31, 2010
1989 1/4 oz gold proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $568 Dec 30, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #22 article, total: $600.11

2007 1/25 oz gold 2004 15 yuan proof panda NGC PF 70 UC for $119.99 Dec 30, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $103.38 Dec 30, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $103.76 Dec 30, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $100.88 Dec 30, 2010
2009 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $86.05 Dec 29, 2010
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary panda NGC MS 70 for $86.05 Dec 29, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #21 article, total: $3975.38

2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $101.88 Dec 29, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $108.50 Dec 29, 2010
1987 1/4 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $550 Dec 28, 2010
1994 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1188 Dec 28, 2010
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $799 Dec 28, 2010
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $888 Dec 28, 2010
2003 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $340 Dec 28, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #20 article, total: $4541.93

1990 1/2 oz gold proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $1298 Dec 28, 2010
2009 1 oz gold panda NGC MS 70 for $1850 Dec 28, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $108.38 Dec 28, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $106.50 Dec 28, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $104.05 Dec 28, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 X 10 for $1075 Dec 28, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #19 - Don't buy ungraded coins article, total: $2316.24

1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $299 Dec 27, 2010
1992 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $399.99 Dec 27, 2010
2005 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 70 UC for $1295 Dec 27, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $105.60 Dec 27, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $108.05 Dec 27, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $108.60 Dec 27, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments #18 article, total: $1716.48

1984 27 g silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1613.88 Dec 26, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $102.60 Dec 26, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments - 2010-Dec-24 article, total: $2089.19 (passed $50k in sold recommended investments)

2010 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $275 Dec 24, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $105.60 Dec 25, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $108.60 Dec 25, 2010
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $799.99 Dec 24, 2010
2004 1/2 oz palladium panda NGC PF 69 UC for $800 Dec 24, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments and commentary - 2010-Dec-23 article, total: $1901.60

1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $749 Dec 23, 2010
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $569 Dec 23, 2010
2010 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $275 Dec 23, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $103.60 Dec 23, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $102.50 Dec 23, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $102.50 Dec 23, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments - 2010-Dec-21 article, total: $6892.07

1985 27 g proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $1619 Dec 22, 2010
1989 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $199.99 Dec 22, 2010
1990 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $268 Dec 22, 2010
1990 1 oz silver proof panda PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $305.02 Dec 22, 2010
1991 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $300.02 Dec 22, 2010
1995 1 oz silver pig NGC PF 69 UC for $970 Dec 22, 2010
1995 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $655 Dec 22, 2010
2006 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $61 Dec 22, 2010
2006 1 oz silver scallop plum blossom flower lunar dog NGC PF 69 UC for $280 Dec 22, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $102.50 Dec 22, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $105.54 Dec 22, 2010
1994 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $888 Dec 21, 2010
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $569 X 2 Dec 21, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments - 2010-Dec-20 article, total: $8762.24

1983 1 g gold Marco Polo NGC PF 69 UC for $402 Dec 20, 2010
1996 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC for $569 X 2 Dec 20, 2010
1997 1/2 oz gold scallop plum blossom flower lunar ox PCGS PR 69 DCAM for $2988 Dec 20, 2010
1998 1/2 oz gold scallop plum blossom flower lunar tiger NGC PF 69 UC for $3551 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $66.89 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $97 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $109.50 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $119 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $123.50 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $126.30 Dec 20, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $41.05 Dec 20, 2010

Coins sold from the Recommended modern Chinese coin investments - 2010-Dec-19 article, total: $16,422

1986 24 g silver empress of china clipper ship NGC MS 70 for $499.95 Dec 19, 2010
1988 1 oz silver dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $565.55 Dec 19, 2010
1988 8 g gold dragon NGC PF 69 UC for $1325 Dec 19, 2010
1989 1 oz gold snake NGC PF 69 UC for $4100 Dec 19, 2010
1989 8 g gold snake NGC PF 69 UC for $965 Dec 19, 2010
1998 1/2 oz gold small date panda NGC MS 69 for $6087 Dec 19, 2010
1999 1 oz gold small date panda for $2351.99 Dec 19, 2010
2001-D 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $160 Dec 19, 2010
2001-D 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 69 for $144.99 X 2 Dec 19, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $125 Dec 19, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $97.50  Dec 19, 2010

Coins sold from older articles, total: $14,463

2008 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 70 for $150 Dec 18, 2010 (LBC makes me rich)
2010 1 oz silver panda NGC MS 69 for $42.05 Dec 18, 2010
2009 1 oz silver 30th anniversary pandas NGC MS 69 X 10 for $510.95 Dec 16, 2010
1986 5 yuan soccer NGC PF 69 matte KM-140A for $3950 Dec 15, 2010
1987 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $800 Dec 12, 2010
1989 5 oz silver panda NGC PF 69 UC for $960 Dec 12, 2010
2000 1/2 oz gold scallop lunar dragon PCGS PF 69 DCAM for $5895 Dec 12, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $105 Dec 10, 2010
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $125 Dec 08, 2010 (LBC makes me rich)
2010 1 oz silver panda PCGS MS 70 for $125 Dec 08, 2010
1983 silver proof panda for $1800 Dec 06, 2010
« Last Edit: 2011 Feb 27, 06:27:24 pm by badon » Logged

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
LBC makes you rich, with a free ebay gift certificate awarded every month!
The Coin Compendium and the china-mint.info forum, censure, disclosure.
Do not PM questions. Answers should be publicly available.
Backup is not enough. Protect your data with MultiPar.
Writer of LBC Chinese coin investment articles (list).
About me: User:Badon - MediaWiki.org
Badon effect: type 1 to 8, type 9.
I type faster on a TypeMatrix.
Use my work. Give credit.
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
User contributions for Badon - Coin Compendium
r3globe
Mogul

« Reply #1 on: 2011 Feb 27, 04:08:08 pm »

So, now the market is hot and prices are increasing, what happens in the summer/spring (is not that a few weeks away)? If you are a holder of coins, what should you do (sell or not sell)? If you are a buyer, do you look for deals during that time?
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #2 on: 2011 Feb 27, 04:18:41 pm »

Do not sell. DO NOT SELL. But, keep some cash handy for buying opportunities. I think we may remain in a hot market through spring, but summer will very likely slow down because sellers and buyers will be taking vacations. That probably means that instead of dropping prices, you'll probably just see fewer coins available, and less excitement in the market.

However, inflation is likely to increase during the summer, so the "summer slowdown" may be a lot more exciting than usual, just like the slowdown that just finished.

Remember, I use the word "slowdown" specifically for a reason. It DOES NOT mean that prices will drop. It means that there will be less buying and selling actions going on, which has the overall effect of slowing price increases. Some coins may drop, some may increase, but overall, a slowdown will dampen whatever happens to be going on.

From my point of view, slowdowns don't look very slow, because I can see the underlying currents that are surging through the market before we can feel their effects. It's just from the point of view of the average professional buyer or seller that it seems like a slowdown.

During the last one, I probably spent more money in one month than I've spent in the entire previous year. It is definitely a buying opportunity. I suspect some people want to fund exotic vacations, and so they resort (pun!) to selling a few coins. With buyers on vacation, the competition isn't as fierce as it normally is. So, you may still have to pay a record price to obtain a coin, but if you get the opportunity to obtain it at all, then you should take it.

To be honest, I have a hard time deciding when it's NOT a buying opportunity. Since we're in a bonanza condition right now, we're seeing coins that you may not see again until the end of the year when we get the next bonanza. By that time, they'll be even more expensive.

All I can say is, it's hard to make a mistake if you're a buyer in this market, and you're making use of this list. You're probably going to make good money. Paying attention to what I'm talking about, and what the Pricepedia is talking about, will maximize your profits - that's really your only concern. It's pretty much a given that you're going to make money, the only question is which coin will make you the MOST, and when is the best time to buy it...

I've had to pass on a lot of really great investment coins because there's one particular coin I'm hoping to get. Sometimes that's the only thing you can do - nobody can afford to buy all the great investment coins, and I really mean that. If you had billions of dollars, you still could not get them all. You have to let some of them go.

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #3 on: 2011 Feb 27, 06:47:13 pm »

I think the dragon & phoenix, and the invention & discovery ancient Chinese coins coin both went a bit on the cheap side. I didn't bid on them though.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
r3globe
Mogul

« Reply #4 on: 2011 Feb 27, 06:52:33 pm »

how about the panda and children coin? it is a pretty coin with a nice theme.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #5 on: 2011 Feb 27, 06:54:38 pm »

Yeah, it's really becoming popular. It's one of my favorite coins. In comparison to its mintage, it performed better than the dragon & phoenix, which surprised me.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #6 on: 2011 Feb 27, 10:39:21 pm »

NEW 1995 1/20 oz gold panda NGC MS 70

$1888.88 auction starting price. Mintage 97,910. Approximately 1 in 30 of these that get submitted achieve a 70 grade. Many were damaged or destroyed through abuse and usage in jewelry, and are not worth submitting for grading. The 1995 date is sought-after because it is the key date for other coins in the series. Collectors want complete sets, so the demand for this coin drives prices higher than would be expected for its mintage.

NEW 1998 1 oz platinum lunar tiger NGC PF 69 UC

$21,888.88 auction starting price. Mintage 300. What an amazingly rare and popular coin this is! The price is massive, and a bit higher than what I think this coin is worth, but if you want the best coins, you have to pay the best prices. This coin is worth "overpaying" for it.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #7 on: 2011 Feb 28, 10:24:28 am »

NEW 2007 1/25 oz gold 2004 25th anniversary panda NGC PF 70 UC

$188.88 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 18,000. Prices have been rising on these, with a new record set at each sale.

NEW 1987 1 oz silver proof panda NGC PF 69 UC

$1200 Buy-It-Now. Mintage 31,000. This is a very high price. The other coin recently on this list was priced at $650 Buy-It-Now, or best offer. I'll watch to see what sells and what doesn't, but I suspect these are on the move upwards.

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
dobedo
Mogul

« Reply #8 on: 2011 Feb 28, 11:06:23 am »

The earlier $650 1987 panda sold for $600! My offer of $550 was rejected before that. My heart was broken Sad
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #9 on: 2011 Feb 28, 11:07:53 am »

About the European scratches:

I was curious how the level of sophistication of a lifelong European coin dealer compares to that of someone who has never seen a collector coin before. I gave a silver collector coin to a friend who was only vaguely aware that some people collect coins. He has never seen a collectible coin before, and his experience with coins is limited to the coins in his pocket.

After I gave him the coin, it was only about 30 minutes before he had opened the protective packaging and was turning it over and over in his hands, examining the detail. When he was done, the coin was covered in European scratches, just as if I had given the coin to a European-style coin dealer with 60 years experience and millions of dollars in inventory.

The moral of the story is, European-style collectors and dealers employ the same level of sophistication in caring for their coins as someone who has never seen a coin before. I'm not exaggerating! This is a huge problem - so huge, that I've been buying up all the high grade coins that I know are mostly destroyed by playful European hands.

I think very few of the coins survived in investment-grade. I estimate an 80% destruction rate, with the preliminary data I have so far. Coins that had mintages of 30,000 probably only have around 6000 surviving specimens in pristine condition!

Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: