Live Business Chat
2015 Sep 11, 05:34:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is a friendly non-profit discussion group about making money. Click the "NOTIFY" button every chance you get to receive instant alerts about new information. We don't like spam. If your first posts are about something you want from us, it is probably spam, and you will be banned in forums worldwide. No soliciting! If you have problems with the forum, contact badon in the business chat.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Ways to Survive and Thrive the Financial Collapse of the West  (Read 1778 times)
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« on: 2011 Jan 26, 09:59:36 pm »

One of the things you hear about here at LBC that you won't find many other places is the discussion of the shifting of power from West to East. This has happened before. In history class you might have learned about "the fall of Rome." That's not really how it happened. Over the course of about 500 years, the Roman state became so oppressive to the people as a result of ever-higher taxes and monetary debasement that the "barbarians" presented a more favorable lifestyle. The Roman state had already moved its locus of power to Constantinople and couldn't field the armies necessary to hold down a rebellious population. And so the centers of power shifted Eastward.

We are seeing the same issues in our own time, right this moment. As we learn from the history of Rome as well as stories in the Bible, monetary debasement is nothing new. What is new is the particular method by which our money is being debased. The reasons for this are numerous and have been discussed in detail elsewhere, but the bottom line is that the West has given away its power for short term political gain. In this round of history, the East has wised up to the opportunity and started grabbing it.

But the why isn't what I want to discuss here. It's the how to survive it part that I am most interested in.

I realized the other night that there are 3 basic strategies that you can employ.

1, move. I'm serious. Go to where the growth is and will be. Do that, and you'll be part of the rising tide that lifts all boats. If you take this approach, the only thing you need to really prepare for financially is the social instability that can come with sudden wealth.

2, become self-sufficient, at least for a while. If you plan on staying in the declining regions, you must be aware that as societies and governments lose power, the grasp at whatever wealth they can as they go down. We are already seeing this with restrictions on capital flow in and out of the US and the constant rhetoric that the rich are evil/not paying enough. If you plan to weather the storm, prepare yourself to support you and your loved ones in a manner that doesn't look rich. If you have a homestead, grow your own food, and basically look like every other poor family out there, chances are you can weather the storm quite comfortably. Start buying fancy cars and clothes though, you'll attract the attention of the wealth taxes that will be coming down the road over the years.

3, get rich. This is what you come here to LBC for. If you are rich enough, then that wealth provides you with the influence and mobility to go wherever you want. If one country's attitude isn't to your liking, you can easily pick up and move to a friendlier clime. You'd probably already be living a multi-national lifestyle just by pursuing whatever travel plans you'd normally have anyways.

And really, that's about it. Yes, you can try to enter politics and change the system, prevent the lashings out from declining powers. I emphasize the try part. You can hold out hope that it can't happen here and it'll never get that bad. I'd rather be prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.

Personally, I'm actively developing strategies 2 & 3 in my own life while keeping an eye out on #1.

Do you have any strategies for dealing with the coming world where America is a once-great empire always looking to the past? In other words, what will you do when America becomes just like Britain was after WWII?

* Axe.jpg (40.5 KB, 300x200 - viewed 457 times.)

Neal McSpadden
Get Coin Investments List Updates Here
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
dobedo
Mogul

« Reply #1 on: 2011 Jan 27, 12:04:27 pm »

I like 3. Short of buying the government, how rich is "rich enough"?
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #2 on: 2011 Jan 27, 12:24:54 pm »

It's pretty subjective, but to me rich enough would be having enough to buy off local government types while you make your way elsewhere. Then you have to buy all the stuff for your new life. So... Pretty rich Smiley. At current levels, I think you could do it comfortably with 10 million. You'd probably be left with 3-7 million depending on what kind of tax penalties you incur and where you end up settling.

Neal McSpadden
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #3 on: 2011 Jan 27, 12:51:46 pm »

With most families in the USA having members condemned by the imprisonment system, it's very likely not everyone will be able to survive. They're like Jews in the 1930's - Germany wouldn't let them leave, despite how much they said they wanted them to go, and the lucky ones that did escape were sent back into German hands when they got to other countries.

As death rates rise in the American imprisonment system, the family ties that keep people in the USA will continue to gradually disappear.

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
LBC makes you rich, with a free ebay gift certificate awarded every month!
The Coin Compendium and the china-mint.info forum, censure, disclosure.
Do not PM questions. Answers should be publicly available.
Backup is not enough. Protect your data with MultiPar.
Writer of LBC Chinese coin investment articles (list).
About me: User:Badon - MediaWiki.org
Badon effect: type 1 to 8, type 9.
I type faster on a TypeMatrix.
Use my work. Give credit.
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
User contributions for Badon - Coin Compendium
dobedo
Mogul

« Reply #4 on: 2011 Jan 27, 01:35:34 pm »

10 million?! Maybe in my next life, if there is one. Haha.
GhostRider808
Serious Business

« Reply #5 on: 2011 Feb 05, 06:51:16 am »

One of the things you hear about here at LBC that you won't find many other places is the discussion of the shifting of power from West to East. This has happened before. In history class you might have learned about "the fall of Rome." That's not really how it happened. Over the course of about 500 years, the Roman state became so oppressive to the people as a result of ever-higher taxes and monetary debasement that the "barbarians" presented a more favorable lifestyle. The Roman state had already moved its locus of power to Constantinople and couldn't field the armies necessary to hold down a rebellious population. And so the centers of power shifted Eastward.

We are seeing the same issues in our own time, right this moment. As we learn from the history of Rome as well as stories in the Bible, monetary debasement is nothing new. What is new is the particular method by which our money is being debased. The reasons for this are numerous and have been discussed in detail elsewhere, but the bottom line is that the West has given away its power for short term political gain. In this round of history, the East has wised up to the opportunity and started grabbing it.

But the why isn't what I want to discuss here. It's the how to survive it part that I am most interested in.

I realized the other night that there are 3 basic strategies that you can employ.

1, move. I'm serious. Go to where the growth is and will be. Do that, and you'll be part of the rising tide that lifts all boats. If you take this approach, the only thing you need to really prepare for financially is the social instability that can come with sudden wealth.

2, become self-sufficient, at least for a while. If you plan on staying in the declining regions, you must be aware that as societies and governments lose power, the grasp at whatever wealth they can as they go down. We are already seeing this with restrictions on capital flow in and out of the US and the constant rhetoric that the rich are evil/not paying enough. If you plan to weather the storm, prepare yourself to support you and your loved ones in a manner that doesn't look rich. If you have a homestead, grow your own food, and basically look like every other poor family out there, chances are you can weather the storm quite comfortably. Start buying fancy cars and clothes though, you'll attract the attention of the wealth taxes that will be coming down the road over the years.

3, get rich. This is what you come here to LBC for. If you are rich enough, then that wealth provides you with the influence and mobility to go wherever you want. If one country's attitude isn't to your liking, you can easily pick up and move to a friendlier clime. You'd probably already be living a multi-national lifestyle just by pursuing whatever travel plans you'd normally have anyways.

And really, that's about it. Yes, you can try to enter politics and change the system, prevent the lashings out from declining powers. I emphasize the try part. You can hold out hope that it can't happen here and it'll never get that bad. I'd rather be prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.

Personally, I'm actively developing strategies 2 & 3 in my own life while keeping an eye out on #1.

Do you have any strategies for dealing with the coming world where America is a once-great empire always looking to the past? In other words, what will you do when America becomes just like Britain was after WWII?

Interesting article you got here.  I also agree with hoping for the best but expecting the worse mentality.  Just curious as to what country your thinking about moving to?  I read that Brazil is energy independent and has the worlds largest fresh water source, not to mention rich in natural resources.  Im not too sure how stable their governments is though.  Also, was thinking about somewhere in Asia since that's where all the smart/wealthy people are moving to since they see the," writing on the wall". 
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #6 on: 2011 Feb 05, 10:16:35 am »

dobedo brought up this same question on another thread, that I can't find right now. But my answer was that short term the places to be are industrialized Western countries that have a sane government like New Zealand and Australia. Longer term, the resource kings that are making the leap from 3rd world to 1st world will be the places to be, like China and Brazil.

Neal McSpadden
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« Reply #7 on: 2011 Feb 06, 06:22:36 pm »

I'd skip the Western nations. They're all doomed in the short and medium term, and possibly in the long term too if they continue to enter a dark age like they've been doing for the past 50 years or so.

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
LBC makes you rich, with a free ebay gift certificate awarded every month!
The Coin Compendium and the china-mint.info forum, censure, disclosure.
Do not PM questions. Answers should be publicly available.
Backup is not enough. Protect your data with MultiPar.
Writer of LBC Chinese coin investment articles (list).
About me: User:Badon - MediaWiki.org
Badon effect: type 1 to 8, type 9.
I type faster on a TypeMatrix.
Use my work. Give credit.
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
User contributions for Badon - Coin Compendium
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #8 on: 2011 Sep 13, 02:51:15 pm »

There's been a lot of talk on this subject in the chat lately, and it has helped me refine my ideas. The fundamental criterion necessary to produce a growing economy is an increase capital investment per capita. This means that the economy (on whatever scale you want to consider) is creating more and more tools to provide goods and services for people. The more the basics are taken care of, the more time and energy people have to pursue higher worth areas.

The derivative criteria that enable a higher capital investment boil down to 2 (or 1 and a half) things:

1 - a cultural respect for private property. I'm not going to get into a whole discussion on why communism is self-destructive, but take my word for it, it is.
2 (or a half) - a growing population. Strictly speaking, this isn't necessary, but it sure helps a lot.

So when in doubt, just ask yourself: Where in the world do people respect my right to own my belongings? And where are there young people?

Answer those two questions, and you'll probably find a pretty good place to hang your hat.

Neal McSpadden
pandamonium
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #9 on: 2011 Sep 13, 03:50:16 pm »

Canada should be a stable country with oil, metals, agriculture, etc.  My selfish plug:  Don't forget Pandas for Property!   Google to remaxlakeandcountry Oroville WA, click waterfront, #25 & 29 Sprouse RD.  19ac lake front.  8 ac lakefront wetland with access, 11 ac buildable (23.4 units per acre) and 9 ac in mature cherry orchard.  Lake Osoyuse is 1/2 in Canada and 1/2 in US.  New resort area.  Lots of Canadian $.  Will accept Chinese coins, pandas, bullion as part trade.   Trade some of those coins to live in safety, beauty and access to the Canadian market.  Next best thing to Canadian citizenship.  Sell the yearly cherry crop for a strong Canadian dollar.  The Canadian border towns across the US should do very well.  This late in the game, Canada is the best bet.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: