Live Business Chat
2015 Sep 12, 08:13:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is a friendly non-profit discussion group about making money. Click the "NOTIFY" button every chance you get to receive instant alerts about new information. We don't like spam. If your first posts are about something you want from us, it is probably spam, and you will be banned in forums worldwide. No soliciting! If you have problems with the forum, contact badon in the business chat.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ultimate Ebay Searches for modern Chinese coins - 2010-Dec-21  (Read 1132 times)
badon
Administrator
Capitalist Pig

badon™

« on: 2010 Dec 22, 01:11:52 am »

I call these my "TUEbS". Chinese coins can be hard to find. The most common question is "Where do I find them?". Ebay is one of the first places to search for them, but even when you know that, it's still not easy or straightforward. Ebay searches are almost never shared because they are each person's custom-tailored tool for finding the best deals before everyone else does. Being an auction site, sharing ebay search information only serves to make the coins you want cost even more, as you bid against the "friends" you shared your information with.

I have closely guarded my secret searches just like everyone else has. However, the coins I want aren't showing up on ebay anymore like they used to, and more and more I simply have to go straight to someone I know personally who has hoarded all the best coins. So, while my secret searches aren't as useful to me as they used to be, which is what makes me willing to share them, they're still useful to everyone else who isn't looking to spend $50,000 on a coin.

Overall, I think sharing a few of my secrets will help investors find the best coins with minimal effort. That will cause prices to increase in the long run, which is good for me, and for everyone who uses this information to get into this market early. I will update my TUEbS as market conditions change. Be sure to watch for the updates to avoid missing out on critical information.

I've updated my TUEbS to weed out more junk, while lowering my "high-end" price threshold to $200 from $400 to find the low-priced coins that are performing so well right now. I've added a few more searches, and I've gotten rid of the cheesy ebay widgets that were supposed to show the results from the search, but didn't do it right. Just click on the link to see the search results.

Here's my TUEbS. Enjoy!

Category searches for all coins

#1 Search terms: -(cash*,dy*,old*,fen*,jiao*,mong*,tai*,singa*,maca*,24*,plate*,color*,colour*,fukien*,zod*)
Category: Home > Buy > Coins & Paper Money > Coins: World > Asia > China > Search results (#4368)
Preferences: Sort by newly listed, All items, Worldwide
Typical number of hits: 3000 to 4000
Description: This search covers everything I'm interested in by removing things I'm not interested in, but it still overwhelms me with hits. I usually don't have time to closely examine all the items, but I glance over it occasionally if my more refined searches run dry. The ebay widget does not show the results of this search correctly, so I'm leaving it out for now.

#2 Search terms: none (just go to the category)
Category: Home > Buy > Coins & Paper Money > Coins: World > Asia > China (#4368)
Preferences: Sort by newly listed, All items, Worldwide, Over $200.00
Typical number of hits: 800 to 1200
Description: This search shows me all the higher-value (rarer) coins that have just been listed. This gives me a change to grab a bargain-priced Buy-it-now listing, or to put in a first bid on a coin that's starting price is already at the fair market price (which means the second bid would have to pay too much). The ebay widget does not show the results of this search correctly, so I'm leaving it out for now.

#3 Search terms: none (just go to the category)
Category: Home > Buy > Coins & Paper Money > Coins: World > Asia > China (#4368)
Preferences: Sort by ending soonest, All items, Worldwide, Over $200.00
Description: My searches above will often let me miss coins that have a low auction starting price that my searches miss, and/or are mislabeled and so are selling too cheaply. In my experience, a good coin that's mislabeled may sell for less than it's worth, but it won't be given away for free. Any auction that's been bid up to at least $400 will show up in this search, and chances are, even if I've missed a great coin, someone else has noticed it and bid it up to at least $400, so it will finally show up at the top of this search even if I missed it in my other searches. The ebay widget does not show the results of this search correctly, so I'm leaving it out for now.

#4 Search terms: (chin*,prc*)
Category: Home > Buy > Coins & Paper Money > Coins: World > Gold > Search results (#547)
Description: This is a category that people frequently list a few Chinese coins in. There's tons of other items I don't care about, so this search narrows it down to just the Chinese coins. Since it's harder to find Chinese coins in this category, there's very often some great bargains here, if you can find them. I exclude a lot of coins that I'm normally not interested in. Those excluded coins will show up in my other searches below, if they're expensive or underpriced.

#5 Search terms: (chin*,prc*)
Category: Home > Buy > Coins & Paper Money > Bullion > Gold > Foreign Gold > Search results (#139964)
Typical number of hits: 20 to 100
Description: Same as above, but in a different category where Chinese coins get hidden.

#6 Search terms: (chin*, prc*) -(plate*,zod*,indo*,bank*,note*,color*,colour*,old*,valu*)
Category: Home > Buy > Coins & Paper Money > Search results (#11116)
Typical number of hits: 8000 to 12000
Description: This search is HUGE, but it has found a few miscategorized coins for me that I've reported about in my coin investment recommendations list. I often take the time to wade through these thousands of listings, but you might prefer just to go straight to my coin recommendations.

Specific searches

#7 Search terms: (pf70*,pr70,pf-70*,pr-70*,proof-70*,proof70*,ms70*,ms-70*,70*) -(70mm*)
Category: Home > Buy > Coins & Paper Money > Coins: World > Asia > China > Search results (#4368)
Typical number of hits: 20 to 100
Description: This finds the finest 70 graded coins

#8 Search terms: panda (proof*,pr*,pf*) -(prooflike*,proof-like*)
Category: Home > Buy > Coins & Paper Money > Search results (#11116)
Typical number of hits: 100 to 300
Description: Proof pandas! The rarest of the most popular, and one of the best investments you can make in modern Chinese coins.

Diagnostic searches

#9 Search terms: none (completed items in the category, must be logged in)
Preferences: All items, Worldwide, Over $100.00, Completed listings
Typical number of hits: 800 to 1500
Description: This search helps me find coins I've missed, so I can figure out how to stop missing them!

If families are a problem for the system, then we must reject the system, not the families.
Founder of the Coin Compendium (forum, blogs, calendar, images, donate, contribute).
LBC makes you rich, with a free ebay gift certificate awarded every month!
The Coin Compendium and the china-mint.info forum, censure, disclosure.
Do not PM questions. Answers should be publicly available.
Backup is not enough. Protect your data with MultiPar.
Writer of LBC Chinese coin investment articles (list).
About me: User:Badon - MediaWiki.org
Badon effect: type 1 to 8, type 9.
I type faster on a TypeMatrix.
Use my work. Give credit.
Coin, medal, whatever!
Coin storage advice.
FreeArc is amazing.
User contributions for Badon - Coin Compendium
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: