Live Business Chat
2015 Oct 11, 11:53:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is a friendly non-profit discussion group about making money. Click the "NOTIFY" button every chance you get to receive instant alerts about new information. We don't like spam. If your first posts are about something you want from us, it is probably spam, and you will be banned in forums worldwide. No soliciting! If you have problems with the forum, contact badon in the business chat.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cash is King - Why You Need to be Ready When Opportunity Strikes  (Read 1049 times)
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« on: 2010 Dec 17, 04:35:54 pm »

We know from badon's post back a week or two ago that the bargain hunt is coming.  As it turns out, this hit me today.

Near where I live, a Borders book store is closing.  Just this one location, but it very well may be the early signs of a trend.  I've never heard of a Borders closing before.  

And what happens when stores close?  That's right, they discount the merchandise.  As an avid book lover, this was great for me.  In addition to all sorts of books I bought as presents for others, I got these business and investment related books:

The first one is Stop Acting Rich, by Thomas Stanley.

I am very excited about this book because I have followed Dr. Stanley's work for years.  He's the one who brought us the Millionaire Next Door that painted a very revealing light of who the true millionaires in America are.

Next I picked up one of two "Little Books."

I'm a big fan of Peter Schiff.  I think he is right on the money when he says that diversifying out of the dollar is the key for the future.  More specifically, he recommends looking Eastward to the Orient for future growth as well as using precious metals to hedge the dollar risk you maintain.  In this book, he talks about the current crash, why more is coming, and (most importantly) what to do about it.

Next on my shopping list, I got this Little gem:

It's always a good idea to review the basics.  In this book, Joel Greenblatt reviews his strategy for picking winning stock market investments.  I haven't read the original to this updated version, so I am interested to see what he says.  Even if I end up disagreeing with his advice, more critical thinking about any subject helps develop deeper understanding.

Meltdown has been something of a sleeper hit in the alternative investment circles.  Thomas E. Woods is a full-fledged Austrian economist and Senior Fellow at the Ludwig von Mises Institute.  In Meltdown, he talks about the devaluation of the US Dollar and the effects it has had on the financial markets, real estate, and the country's economy as a whole.
Last, but certainly not least, we have The Great Depression Ahead.

This is Harry Dent's commentary on the current financial problems and what to do about them.  The thing I really like about Dent is that he studies these things from a social trends point of view.  Essentially his argument boils down to this: markets expand when more people are buying stuff.  That's pretty standard Keynesian economics.  The interesting twist that Dent applies to this concept is looking at the different times in people's lives and how that effects their money use.  By projecting these trends into the future with changing population levels, he has created very good fits to actual events.  I've read some of his earlier works, so I am very interested to see what he has to say on "How to Prosper in the Debt Crisis of 2010-2012."

My only regret is that I didn't get to this bookstore last week.  As you might imagine, a lot of books have been sold already.  Still, even in these inflationary times, cash is king.  It allows you to jump on opportunities when they arise.

* cash.jpg (20.83 KB, 300x200 - viewed 416 times.)

Neal McSpadden
Get Coin Investments List Updates Here
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
FanofBadon
Serious Business

« Reply #1 on: 2010 Dec 18, 07:22:28 am »

a nice choice of books for the people who will get them

All the darkness of the world can not extinguish the light of a single candle.
tamo42
Capitalist Pig

« Reply #2 on: 2010 Dec 18, 08:30:55 am »

I was thinking of reselling them here to anyone who is interested (after I have read them of course).

Neal McSpadden
Get Coin Investments List Updates Here
The Primal Prepper - my blog about preparing for the worst while living the best
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: